The Official Movie Thread

Simon kinberg directing a movie that's a recasting of a (horrible) movie that was written by Simon kinberg

Me personally
I didn't think X-3 was really that bad
And theoretically
He'd figure out what he did wrong and fix it with his remake
I personally don't think it's gonna be really that bad

Reactions: CiG
Oh okay I think I follow you now, sorry I'm not really up on this whole subgenre, so Dark Phoenix is a rewrite and re-attempt of adapting The Dark Phoenix Saga comic that he had already tried with The Last Stand? I think I saw the latter and yeah it wasn't so great but not totally terrible IIRC.

I can see why people are expecting it to suck given that the same director who already flopped with The Dark Phoenix Saga is trying to do it again with a new cast. Oof that's pretty fucking bizarre.

NP:

Oh okay I think I follow you now, sorry I'm not really up on this whole subgenre, so Dark Phoenix is a rewrite and re-attempt of adapting The Dark Phoenix Saga comic that he had already tried with The Last Stand? I think I saw the latter and yeah it wasn't so great but not totally terrible IIRC.

I can see why people are expecting it to suck given that the same director who already flopped with The Dark Phoenix Saga is trying to do it again with a new cast. Oof that's pretty fucking bizarre.
Yes it's bizarre

Also bizarre
if look super closely
Every single X-Men movie contradicts the others and there's an internal consistency error in the first one

The fact that every x- movie contradicts every other x movie is hard to see stuff that non-americans don't really notice

If you're interested in growing your network of references (and if you didn't already know), Walter Benjamin writes about the Angelus Novus painting in "Theses on the Philosophy of History." It's one of the most famous passages in his work.

So it turns out the Mahnkopf's piece is actually based on the text of Walter Benjamin, which I wasn't aware of before. The circle is complete.

The music theatre piece is based on the following text: “There is a picture by Klee called Angelus Novus. It shows an angel that looks as if it were about to move away from something at which it is starting. It eyes are wide, its mouth is open and its wings are spread. This is what the angel of history must look like. Its face is turned towards the past. Where we see a chain of circumstances before us, it sees one giant catastrophe piling wreckage upon wreckage and throwing it at the angel's feet. It presumably wants to stay a while, wake the dead and put the pieces back together. But a storm is blowing from paradise; it has taken hold of its wings, and is so strong that the angel can no longer fold them up. This storm pushes it inexorably into the future, on which its back is turned, while the wreckage before it rises to the heavens. What we call progress is this storm.” (Walter Benjamin, On the Concept of History, IX)

Reactions: Einherjar86
X-Men The Last Stand was an incredibly shitty movie. It never should've been made much less released to the public.

And yes, the X-Men movies have done one of the worst jobs of keeping continuity straight in the history of movies.

Hell, most of the time the movies are even enjoyable from start to finish.

The first two X-Men movie were enjoyable for about the first hour. The third is an abomination as I said.

The second trilogy did do a better job of being entertaining in parts 1 and 2, can't argue that. But the Apocalypse movie was not just an abomination, it was an abortion of filmmaking.

As for the Wolverine movies, the first one was atrocious, the second one was actually really good. And Logan was phenomenal.

X-Men The Last Stand was an incredibly shitty movie. It never should've been made much less released to the public.

And yes, the X-Men movies have done one of the worst jobs of keeping continuity straight in the history of movies.

The first two X-Men movie were enjoyable for about the first hour. The third is an abomination as I said.

The second trilogy did do a better job of being entertaining in parts 1 and 2, can't argue that. But the Apocalypse movie was not just an abomination, it was an abortion of filmmaking.

As for the Wolverine movies, the first one was atrocious, the second one was actually really good. And Logan was phenomenal.
the reason everyone got so exited about Disney acquiring the movie rights to x-men is because the x-men movies were really horrible, they're about to become part of the MCU, and everyone is just assuming the MCU will be able to make a better version of X-men movie series than fox did

Disney exec says he wants to keep making deadpool movies forever and wants them all to keep the R-rating that the first 2 had

also
this new dark phoenix movie will show jean grey exposed to the phoenix force while "rescuing astronauts" in space
with people speculating that the "astronauts" will be the fantastic four getting their powers at the same time the Phoenix force enters jean grey

Will X-Men: Dark Phoenix Reboot The Fantastic Four? | ResetEra

Will X-Men: Dark Phoenix Reboot The Fantastic Four? | ScreenRant

pretty much agree with all of this, except i thought first class was the second worst after last stand. apocalypse was a ridiculously overstuffed mess but had some great highs at least.