The Official Movie Thread

Roman Polanski Takes Oscars To Court After Being Booted Out Of The Academy

“The Academy failed to comply with its own rules, policies, and regulations in expelling Petitioner without notice, without an opportunity to be heard and deliberately violated California Corporations Code,” the attorney asserted for his equally brazen client.

Following today’s filing, AMPAS typically did not respond to a request by Deadline for comment on the matter. Back in May 2018 the Academy did say that the explusion of Polanski and the now imprisoned Bill Cosby in part because “the Board continues to encourage ethical standards that require members to uphold the Academy’s values of respect for human dignity.”
Hmmm....

Watching

26386_1_large.jpg

cannes lineup got announced a couple days ago. some highlights of the main competition are new movies from jarmusch, malick, bong joon-ho, the dardennes, almodovar, loach, desplechin, dolan, hausner, bellocchio, sciamma, mendonca filho, sachs, porumboiu. highlights elsewhere include new refn (actually a tv show they're showing a couple eps from), dumont, herzog, ferrara.

re-watched Blood Simple on criterion and attempted House 1979 -- too much for me :lol:

anyone got some rec's on criterion? if not im going Kurosawa and Tarkovsky for a bit

Man, I've watched so many movies in the span of not posting... Here's a few that stuck out:

Birds of Passage: This is by Colombian director Ciro Guerra who also my favorite movie of all time Embrace of the Serpent, and honestly this movie did not disappoint. Absolutely stunning visuals ( a trademark of his), while simultaneously showing how the indigenous people and modern society clash. This movie is about a drug trade through the eyes of an indigenous group that essentially gets out of hand, trying to uphold the integrity of the group as well as keeping up with a changing world. To me, this felt like an indigenous Godfather. Really amazing movie, would definitely recommend.

Apostle: This is a Netflix movie I recently watched and was immediately captivated by. The plot reminds me of the original The Wicker Man, but it is quite different. It's sort of long but the story captivates you anyways. Pretty much this guy travels to a remote Welsh island to rescue his sister who has been kidnapped and held for ransom by a mysterious cult who worships a strange god.

Heavy Metal: This is a cartoon (I really absolutely LOVE cartoons tbh) and it was hilarious AND ridiculous as fuck. I really don't know too much of what it was about as the plot has a lot of wholes but its a comedy. It has this cool, futuristic New York setting and each story had the same protagonist Loch'nar, this green evil being. Anyways, it's a complicated movie to explain without giving too much away but it ruled.

Reactions: CiG
Heavy Metal: This is a cartoon (I really absolutely LOVE cartoons tbh) and it was hilarious AND ridiculous as fuck. I really don't know too much of what it was about as the plot has a lot of wholes but its a comedy. It has this cool, futuristic New York setting and each story had the same protagonist Loch'nar, this green evil being. Anyways, it's a complicated movie to explain without giving too much away but it ruled.

80's classic!

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
apparently nobody gives a shit about the upcoming superhero movies

did anyone here see Shazam??
how many people here saw Captain Marvel??
anyone waiting to see Avengers Endgame or Gaurdians Of The Galaxy VOL 3??