The Official Movie Thread

Watching:

22494_1_large.jpg

I can't get over Michael Keaton as Batman, never been able to get beyond the fact that he's a 5'7" manlet with no muscles and a dissolving hairline. Does anybody who likes those Burton films have any actual defense of the casting or is it just nostalgia?

I can't get over Michael Keaton as Batman, never been able to get beyond the fact that he's a 5'7" manlet with no muscles and a dissolving hairline. Does anybody who likes those Burton films have any actual defense of the casting or is it just nostalgia?

Well from the description you gave who the hell would think a guy like that could be Batman, helps with secret identity and all :err:

Pretty common knowledge that he got the role after working together with Burton in Beetlejuice. Don't think Keaton had done any roles except for comedy up to that point. An odd choice for sure, maybe what Burton was going for?

Reactions: CiG
Agreed about Burton, I think that was the case that he was being loyal to an actor and also he wanted to do something a bit different and maybe more interpretive. But at the same time the greatest inspiration according to Burton and the producers for his film were The Killing Joke and Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and that makes me more confused since Miller's Batman was bizarrely muscular and imposing... so I dunno.

lmao at the "helps with secret identity" part, I'd never ever thought of that.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
While a character like Batman has always been pretty popular, comics or more specifically comic book movies weren't what they are today. You didn't have a huge fanboy following and the internet to criticize movies about how they weren't 100% true to the source material. I think anyone who was a fan of Batman enjoyed it for what it was at the time.

I do like the Burton films, but agree Keaton was an odd choice. Still i remember the movie was a pretty big deal when it came out.

Reactions: CiG
I loved it like anybody else when it came out, but for me it just didn't hold up over the years, but I've never been a very nostalgic person and I suspect that plays a big role in it. When I watch it now I just see it as this horrendously cartoonish faux-dark mess. It does have some redeeming qualities though, don't want to make anybody think I think it's an abomination.

Definitely true that comic book films were still quite niche in the late 80's and Burton is probably the key component in changing that, along with Raimi a decade or so later and his Spidey flicks, but my issue isn't really with being loyal to the source material, just that Burton's choices were odd in their own right, especially since they went out of their way to name certain books as their main inspiration, y'know?

I feel like we got a fairly cool Punisher that same year.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher