The Official Movie Thread

Watching:

11650_2_large.jpg

too-late-group-poster.jpg

What an awesome surprise this was. First time director Dennis Hauck has clearly dined out on Raymond Chandler and Billy Wilder; he fucking GETS noir. He could definitely have used a more experienced head next to him to rein in some of the amateurish excesses, but the brilliance of the script mostly makes up for it. The acting is also rather B movie in places, although Deadwood's John Hawkes, in the lead role, is great. The film is divided into 5 single take scenes, told non-chronologically. And like Memento or Pulp Fiction, the device adds meaning. Anyone looking for an original neo-noir, this is it.

Also, for the poster lovers, how good are the 12 separate posters, one for each character?

MPW-77837.jpg

Total blind-buy, but I couldn't pass up young Denzel and John Lithgow as a villain (I think), in a 90's cop/action/thriller. Directed by Russell Mulcahy (Aussie director who did Razorback and Highlander) which is pretty interesting.

Looks pretty cool, I think maybe I have seen this one around but the name just didn't click. Will have to check it out sometime, cheers.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
NW:

View attachment 19876

The last good Michael Bay film? I don't really remember Pearl Harbor or Armageddon, never seen The Island or Pain & Gain and I never much liked those Transformers films.

bad boys II gets a lot of love, people make it sound completely batshit and amazing. some of the later transformers movies are acclaimed by bay apologists too but i haven't seen those either. armageddon seems to increasingly be getting reevaluated these days as well but i haven't seen that since i was a kid. pain & gain is the closest he's ever come to being smart/self-aware i guess, it's worth watching. 13 hours is aight, visually it kinda resembles a michael mann film in part because it has the same DoP as miami vice.

Reactions: CiG
too-late-group-poster.jpg

What an awesome surprise this was. First time director Dennis Hauck has clearly dined out on Raymond Chandler and Billy Wilder; he fucking GETS noir. He could definitely have used a more experienced head next to him to rein in some of the amateurish excesses, but the brilliance of the script mostly makes up for it. The acting is also rather B movie in places, although Deadwood's John Hawkes, in the lead role, is great. The film is divided into 5 single take scenes, told non-chronologically. And like Memento or Pulp Fiction, the device adds meaning. Anyone looking for an original neo-noir, this is it.

Also, for the poster lovers, how good are the 12 separate posters, one for each character?

nice, hadn't even heard of it. inherent vice also did the separate posters for each character thing, so i guess it's becoming a neo-noir trend--not sure where it originated though:
Best-Character-Poster-Set-Inherent-Vice.jpg

bad boys II gets a lot of love, people make it sound completely batshit and amazing. some of the later transformers movies are acclaimed by bay apologists too but i haven't seen those either. armageddon seems to increasingly be getting reevaluated these days as well but i haven't seen that since i was a kid. pain & gain is the closest he's ever come to being smart/self-aware i guess, it's worth watching. 13 hours is aight, visually it kinda resembles a michael mann film in part because it has the same DoP as miami vice.

Oh yeah I actually don't mind Bad Boys II it's pretty damn entertaining and funny. Wondering how Bad Boys III will turn out. I kinda got that visual vibe of Mann when I saw trailers for 13 Hours.

For anybody that cares Ricochet was fucking awesome. I hadn't seen it but I was actually familiar with a few scenes with Lithgow due to bands sampling them as song intros. This is peak quotable Lithgow, scenes as hilarious and gold like this one aren't a rarity:

If you haven't seen this already you should check it out @RadicalThrasher I recommend it.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher