The Official Movie Thread

i saw detective pikachu btw. i laughed all the way through the most poignant moment because the revelation just before it was so fucking ludicrous. it's not that bad though. i was expecting something like the first harry potter movie where it just gets bogged down exploring all the gimmicks of this well established universe, but it actually goes the other way and ends up too plot-driven. i did get more cubone action than i was expecting, it gets points for that.

Reactions: CiG
so cannes is nearly halfway through and it doesn't look like most of the competition films have gone down well. jarmusch and the dardennes in particular have been panned. the exceptions are the new sciamma and, surprisingly, the new almodovar, which is getting absolutely showered in praise beyond pretty much anything else that's screened there in the past five years. he's usually dismissed as minor these days so it's very intriguing, i like almodovar a lot. many people are saying the new malick is the most narrative film he's made this decade while also being the culmination of his current style, so that's interesting too.

i believe the new tarantino and bong films are next up.

outside of competition, stuff like the lighthouse, zombi child and rocketman have fared well.

so cannes is nearly halfway through and it doesn't look like most of the competition films have gone down well. jarmusch and the dardennes in particular have been panned. the exceptions are the new sciamma and, surprisingly, the new almodovar, which is getting absolutely showered in praise beyond pretty much anything else that's screened there in the past five years. he's usually dismissed as minor these days so it's very intriguing, i like almodovar a lot. many people are saying the new malick is the most narrative film he's made this decade while also being the culmination of his current style, so that's interesting too.

i believe the new tarantino and bong films are next up.

outside of competition, stuff like the lighthouse, zombi child and rocketman have fared well.
I haven't seen anything Almodóvar's done since The Skin I Live In. I should get on to watching Julieta. Really the only thing I'm psyched to see is Gaspar's 50 minute experiment Lux Æterna. Béatrice Dalle , Charlotte Gainsbourg and seizure-inducing strobes. Just put the thing online already.

Watching:

23114_2_large.jpg

No English trailer, synopsis:

Colella is a hard working but struggling mechanic who raises his son Fabrizio after his wife passed away. Fabrizio is friends with Antonio, son of the extremely rich but incredibly repugnant businessman Filippini. When criminals kidnap Antonio in front of school, the brave Fabrizio tries to prevent this and the nervous kidnappers pull him into the car as well. They demand a huge ransom for the boys, but the pigheaded Filippini refuses to give in to criminals and put the lives of the boys at stake, whilst Colella and even the police commissioner can't do anything. Colella goes after them, but soon stumbles upon a very complex and well-protected network.

Jesus christ, just watched Matthew Holness's Possum. Very little in the way of dialogue or linear plot, and I think there was maybe one jump scare. But fuck, this was a bleak, surreal, horrifying film.

It's almost as if Samuel Beckett wrote a horror script:

Looks great, we need more women's revenge and meatpie westerns, and the more visceral and confrontational the better if you ask me. You know it's going to rustle some feathers if it's set in the Van Diemen's Land era too, curious to see if it takes place pre or post-Black War.