The Official Movie Thread

dgf.jpg

Fucking finally watching this.

Edit: Depraved was killer, way more cerebral than I was expecting.

Now I'm watching this, it was renting for 99 cents on Google Play so I said fuck it. Only 5 minutes in and I've already seen a woman fully naked in the shower and then a pretty fucking graphic murder scene with practical effects and a shitload of blood. Also the soundtrack so far is 80's/Carpenter inspired electronic music.

XlPk3wDw.jpg

Edit 2: Wow okay, this is brutal as shit. Nice one Mr. Scott, this is some outta leftfield bucking the typecast stuff.

Last edited:
Tonight.....J.R. Bookwalter double feature

90020_1_large.jpg

29309_1_large.jpg

:err:

Reactions: CiG
Got a few things in today while fucking around at home:

izjkwkfyu2dcasdindl4.jpg

The other episode Alan Clarke did in 1987 for the TV series Screenplay (along with the amazing and much better Road). This one follows a teen who is a heroine addict. Only about an hour long but it's Clarke and it's awesome obviously.

MV5BMjdlOWZiYjQtNDFkZi00NzZmLThlYWEtYWY4NjAyNDFjMjNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQwMDA5NTg@._V1_.jpg

Been meaning to see this and a friend who is obsessed with serial killers and gore/exploitation flicks named it his top movie of 2019 so I finally got around to it. Apparently it tanked at the fests it played, people were offended, chastised the director for making a very cruel biopic etc. Well, they're not wrong because this shit is disgusting and filthy. Everything is smeared in grime and dirt, it's impressive how the director managed to capture the rundown living conditions akin to an episode of The Young Ones.

I'd never actually heard of this 70's serial killer before Fritz Honka but he had a wild life. Apparently he had body parts hidden all over his flat and was only caught because the building caught fire and a torso was discovered by chance. All that aside, the movie is also surprisingly funny, especially all the scenes that take place in the pub the film is named after. Almost had a kind of Barfly (1987) vibe. Anyways had to throw this into my top 10 for 2019, I recommend it.

cobra-verde-filmdagbok.740x0.jpg

This marks the 10th Herzog film I've seen now and it's definitely looking to be the case that he is at his best when he's making these epic/adventure films that walk that fine line between culturally insensitive and creative entertainment. Kinski's performance is at its most unstable of all the stuff I've seen. One moment he's walking through serene locations, angelic and stoic, the next moment he's screeching like a maniac and physically dominating the cast around him like a drill sergeant on meth.

I read that this film was the breaking point for Kinski and Herzog's relationship and that the cinematographer walked off set due to a tirade Kinski launched upon him, and even that he was having problems with many of the cast and crew. Well it shows because he's raving mad in many scenes and it's great. The parts where he's surrounded by what must be hundreds of topless black Amazon warrior women and he's screaming like a banshee are just nuts, unforgettable visuals.

I have a few more Herzog films in my collection still to see, such as Queen of the Desert, The Wild Blue Yonder and Where the Green Ants Dream.

'Audiences won’t have seen anything like this': how Iranian film Chess of the Wind was reborn

Chess of the Wind is a gothic family tale, following the (mis)fortunes of a paraplegic heiress played by Fakhri Khorvash, her angular face a study in controlled despair. Seeking to maintain her fragile independence, she’s beset on all sides by predatory men – her stepfather, his nephews, the local commissar – who all seek to prise her fortune from her. She’s aided against them by her handmaiden, played by Shohreh Aghdashloo (nominated for an Oscar for her role in House of Sand and Fog). An erotic tension between mistress and maid adds spice – and complexity – to the proceedings.

The opulent, claustrophobic interiors are reminiscent of Persian miniatures. There’s also something of the gothic horror of Edgar Allan Poe. The influence of European cinematic masters like Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luchino Visconti and Robert Bresson is also apparent; the camera lingers on hands as they roll cigarettes, serve food, and feed gunpowder down the barrel of a gun, finding beauty in these simple actions. The sound design also stands out: wolves howl and dogs bay as they circle the house, ratcheting up the sense of menace; crows caw, jangling the nerves; heavy breathing makes the characters’ isolation in this haunted house increasingly oppressive. The soundtrack – an early work by trailblazing female composer Sheyda Gharachedaghi – takes inspiration from traditional Iranian music, and sounds like demented jazz.

Watched that 2019 film Monos today. Saw it compared to Apocalypse Now and Lord of the Flies a few times, pretty spot on I suppose but definitely not as visceral and hellish as the former nor as thematically explorative as the latter. Its strength is definitely how beautiful the locations are and the cinematography in general. Pretty solid for a directorial debut.

2tctjzv1v6d51.png

Monos-still-02.jpg

wn54k4e430a41.png

Also tonight I watched Repulsion. Seen it before but somehow didn't remember anything that happened in it. That final act is intense.

View attachment 26278

Been meaning to see this and a friend who is obsessed with serial killers and gore/exploitation flicks named it his top movie of 2019 so I finally got around to it. Apparently it tanked at the fests it played, people were offended, chastised the director for making a very cruel biopic etc. Well, they're not wrong because this shit is disgusting and filthy. Everything is smeared in grime and dirt, it's impressive how the director managed to capture the rundown living conditions akin to an episode of The Young Ones.

I'd never actually heard of this 70's serial killer before Fritz Honka but he had a wild life. Apparently he had body parts hidden all over his flat and was only caught because the building caught fire and a torso was discovered by chance. All that aside, the movie is also surprisingly funny, especially all the scenes that take place in the pub the film is named after. Almost had a kind of Barfly (1987) vibe. Anyways had to throw this into my top 10 for 2019, I recommend it.

Going to check this out (never heard of Honka).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rewatched Benny's Video last night after first seeing it years ago. Always liked that one.

Reactions: CiG
Dune 2020 has now become Dune 2021. October 2021 to be specific.

I was really hoping it would be released on time here since the cinemas are open and trailers were being screened but I guess they want to do a simultaneous worldwide release.

Watched that 2019 film Monos today. Saw it compared to Apocalypse Now and Lord of the Flies a few times, pretty spot on I suppose but definitely not as visceral and hellish as the former nor as thematically explorative as the latter. Its strength is definitely how beautiful the locations are and the cinematography in general. Pretty solid for a directorial debut.

View attachment 26294

View attachment 26295

View attachment 26296

Also tonight I watched Repulsion. Seen it before but somehow didn't remember anything that happened in it. That final act is intense.

Re Monos, I always thought it would be better if
you never found out if they were really enlisted by the guerillas or just playing war.

Re Monos, I always thought it would be better if
you never found out if they were really enlisted by the guerillas or just playing war.

Yeah I think I agree with this, and this is an example of my overall beef with the film with the way that it always falls back on conventionality just when it seems like it could have went into more interesting or wild directions. I thought it was the director's debut so I kinda gave him a pass, but it turns out it's his second feature so probably all downhill from here.

Displeased with the lack of jihad, more like. I agree with the central premise, it seems like whitewashing to call it a crusade rather than jihad. but it cuts both ways because while Atreides' jihad is somewhat glorified in the novel, as the struggle of the indigenous population over the oppressive colonizers, it also definitely has negative connotations, ie he's concerned about it getting out of control and his name becoming a source of fanaticism. I presume Villeneuve decided jihad had become too much of a loaded term lately to use it and preserve herbert's original meaning.

Last edited: