The Official Movie Thread

In other news, why the hell would Ben Wheatley want to remake Rebecca? Hitchcock remakes are rarely anything but career-killers and it seems a very odd choice for an auteur. Particularly when the original is basically impossible to improve upon.

I presume Villeneuve decided jihad had become too much of a loaded term lately to use it and preserve herbert's original meaning.

He took the coward's path. Great, already having bad feelings about this adaption.

In other news, why the hell would Ben Wheatley want to remake Rebecca? Hitchcock remakes are rarely anything but career-killers and it seems a very odd choice for an auteur. Particularly when the original is basically impossible to improve upon.

Well it's an adaption of the book, not necessarily sure it's fair to call it a remake of a Hitchcock film. Also if you're worried about that, his film after Rebecca is the sequel to Tomb Raider.

He could be grinding into a period of mediocrity, Free Fire was okay and High Rise was better but not by much. Still haven't seen Happy New Year, Colin Burstead but if Rebecca continues that trend and I can't imagine Tomb Raider 2 is going to be a masterpiece, that sucks. Guess I'll find out in 6 days.

Speaking of mediocrity, just watched Lords of Chaos lmfao hard not to feel like casting a chubby retard dressed like a high school bully who just discovered Marilyn Manson as Varg isn't a personal jab at the man.

image.jpg

It was pretty horrendous. Culkin was really the only actor I thought did a good performance, and maybe whoever played Dead. What a mess.

not to mention the guy playing varg is jewish lol

and yeah i worry that wheatley is in decline too, but i do think a wheatleyfied rebecca is a weird and interesting idea. i just hope it actually feels like a wheatley.

Reactions: CiG
Was watching an interview earlier and Wheatley said his script attempted to be even closer to the book than Hitchcock's film was, for whatever that's worth.

I'm watching Sightseers for the first time right now.

sightseers rules. it’s basically a remake of mike leigh’s ‘nuts in may’ with the subtext more foregrounded

and yeah i agree that it makes more sense to remake something flawed than something that’s already a classic, but i guess that doesn’t make as much money unfortunately.

lol that ending.

Edit: Took me a few minutes to realise Steve Oram was in/directed Aaaaaaaah! as well as Tina. I hope he directs another movie someday.

I think directors are on a hiding to nothing trying to rework things like Rebecca or Rear Window or Psycho. I'd be going with some of Hitchcock's interesting yet flawed works like Rope or Marnie.

I don't think Wheatley's goal was to remake a Hitchcock film, and then just chose Rebecca dude.

Edit: Watching these two back-to-back to cap off the night...

poster+-+Over+the+Top.jpg

poster-780.jpg

Last edited:
last night...
Brawl-in-Cell-Block-99-UK-Poster.jpg

meh, it was ok. Vaughn is a fucking cringeworthy actor.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Speaking of Rebecca.. Please watch The Taming of Rebecca - tis the best onrop ever. Released in 1982, it's just fucking ace. A bit twisted, a bit sick but soo much fun. The dialog is superbly written, particularly the first 'scene' staring David Christopher and Sharon Mitchell. George Payne also stars

Speaking of Rebecca.. Please watch The Taming of Rebecca - tis the best onrop ever. Released in 1982, it's just fucking ace. A bit twisted, a bit sick but soo much fun. The dialog is superbly written, particularly the first 'scene' staring David Christopher and Sharon Mitchell. George Payne also stars
Can't go wrong with Avon.

Reactions: Sirjack
Watched Relic tonight. Pretty disappointed—not because of storytelling, atmosphere, or acting. All were top notch. I was mostly annoyed because
it wasn’t a horror movie. It was a movie about inherited illness and the sadness of caring for a dying parent.