The Official Movie Thread

My point was that if Wheatley was remaking a flawed or lesser known Hitchcock, I would assume there was some artistic promise in it. When you're remaking a classic and not putting a different slant on it, it's probably just a cash-in.

From every interview I've watched there's a greater emphasis on the book, not Hitchcock's film. As in, it's another adaption of the book. You keep talking as if it's a Hitchcock remake (hence why your suggestion that he do a different Hitchcock film is dumb) but if that's your logic, what does that make the 1979 and 1997 miniseries? Hitchcock remakes for television?

You've also claimed that:
Hitch was fairly faithful to the book and by all reports Wheatley has been faithful to Hitch. Makes you wonder why you'd bother.
When you're remaking a classic and not putting a different slant on it, it's probably just a cash-in.

But this interview seems to say the complete opposite:
Fittingly, you might assume that Ben Wheatley would have been haunted in a similar way by the Oscar-winning adaptation of Rebecca from Alfred Hitchcock, but the director didn't see it that way when he was making the Netflix movie.

"It's not the Hitchcock film that haunts me. It's the du Maurier book. That's the shadow, that's the elephant in the room," he told Digital Spy.

"You've been put in charge of bringing this book to the screen which is such a classic book and such a well-loved book. And that's where the tension is, because you're like, 'Oh my God, I don't want to screw this up'."

So did he dare look back at Hitchcock's 1940 classic or the other screen versions of Rebecca before bringing his take on it?

"I've watched everything, obviously, but it's more due diligence to make sure that we don't end up putting stuff in the film that was from the film adaptation and not from the book. There are crossover bits which were changed," Wheatley explained.

"When you're working with the same material, you end up with beats that are similar, but there's a lot of made-up stuff in the Hitchcock version that we just wanted to avoid having in our film."

What'd you think of king of comedy?

I thought it was great and De Niro played a delusional hack comedian perfectly. The scenes in his basement talking to cardboard cutouts of celebrities as his mother yells at him from upstairs is classic stuff. I've listened to the movie referenced so much on Opie & Anthony Radio clips over the years that it felt like I'd already seen it, pretty weird experience.

Definitely up there for me in Scorsese's filmog now.

I thought it was great and De Niro played a delusional hack comedian perfectly. The scenes in his basement talking to cardboard cutouts of celebrities as his mother yells at him from upstairs is classic stuff. I've listened to the movie referenced so much on Opie & Anthony Radio clips over the years that it felt like I'd already seen it, pretty weird experience.

Definitely up there for me in Scorsese's filmog now.
yeah ,.I think it gets pretty underated in comparison to his gangster stuff. But, I loved it too

Reactions: CiG
Just finished Rebecca and holy shit Wheatley took a swing and a miss so hard he's pulled his back out. That felt like the longest 2 hours of my life, I wouldn't say I hated it because it was so mediocre it didn't make me feel anything one way or the other. I haven't seen Lily James in anything else I don't think but she STUNK in this movie.