The Official Movie Thread

City of Lost Children was a pretty neat film

we watched part of Tampopo in one of my classes. It looked pretty cool. We stopped right after a sex scene involving food (a live prawn in a bowl of cognac?)

Yeah the sex food scenes are quite weird, and occur throughout the film. It's a pretty fun movie if you find the intense obsession with food thing funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed Valley of the Wolves. I like to see more films against american propaganda bullshit. fly shit motherfuckers...

Cloverfield was fucking amazing. This is coming from a underground film elitist. Ok? Plus it had a Spoon song.

Yeah I thought cloverfield was really well done for it's style. If you're okay with the fact that full scientific explanations of what the monster is and why it's there aren't going to be layed out for you, that you won't get a close up of every cool action scene that happens, and that suspense will be generated through very large portions of film where not much is happening actionwise instead of from musical cues, then you should be able to enjoy it.

Also I know special effects isn't really liked by most film people, but from an effects standpoint it's really hard to put CGI creatures and actions into handheld shots, as the computer puts them in a certain spot on the screen, but the camera movement has to be recreated for the CGI characters. I know that there are programs that can detect camera movement, but I don't believe would work perfectly on these crazy shakey hand held shots, (and if they do thats quite an accomplishment on the programmer's part).

Not a groundbreaking film as this style has been done before, but a very well constructed film in my opinion.

Yeah I thought cloverfield was really well done for it's style. If you're okay with the fact that full scientific explanations of what the monster is and why it's there aren't going to be layed out for you, that you won't get a close up of every cool action scene that happens, and that suspense will be generated through very large portions of film where not much is happening actionwise instead of from musical cues, then you should be able to enjoy it.

Also I know special effects isn't really liked by most film people, but from an effects standpoint it's really hard to put CGI creatures and actions into handheld shots, as the computer puts them in a certain spot on the screen, but the camera movement has to be recreated for the CGI characters. I know that there are programs that can detect camera movement, but I don't believe would work perfectly on these crazy shakey hand held shots, (and if they do thats quite an accomplishment on the programmer's part).

Not a groundbreaking film as this style has been done before, but a very well constructed film in my opinion.

Yeah, for a mainstream movie it is really well done. Plus, the ending is super-sad.

I was trippin' out because a friend brought over IAL Thurs. then my boss says Fri. morning , "think I'll take my old lady to watch I Am Legend tonight." I had no idea this was still in theaters.
Remakes are a strange thing, they make certain parts, in nearly every remake, if you like the movie or not, better, because they can. You mention The Last Man On Earth, which I own and love, but my favorite adaptation of the book is 1970's The Omega Man.
The newest movie makes the infected scarrier, although I think TLMOE makes them more like zombies, which is what I always thought they were meant to be. I heard alot of talk elsewhere of how Will Smith "carried " 1/4 of the film or whatever he had w/o other actual actors. Minutes into the film you see him crusing through desolate NY w/ his dog in the passenger seat. I'm shouting at the tv, "he doesn't even carry the film by himself, he has a dog!" I overall think Will Smith is horrible, but he actually did great in this film. Better effects and CGI do not make this film better than LMOE or TOM in my opinion, but way better overall than I thought it would be.

I watched Truth Or Consequences, NM last night, not a particulary good movie. Vincent Gallo can't act for shit.

I've been to Truth Or Consquences, NM...it's nothing spectacular (like the movie apparently)

Alter: I didn't really have a "favorite" part. I might watch it again. Though the scene towards the end where Laura Dern shoots at The Phantom man with her distorted face was incredibly disturbing...so that's definitely a memorable scene haha

I just saw Cloverfield. I'm not sure what to think of it. The style was certainly unique, especially applying digital effects to what was shot through a handheld camera. The party scene during the first half hour was a bit long but it let you get used to the dizzying camera movements before the violence started.

I think it was well made, but the whole concept was rather lame. I mean come on, how cliched can you get with the "Giant Monster Attacks New York" scenario? The movie could have been a lot better with a more unique plot concept.

the books is wayy better, but it's still an awesome movie and sparked my man love for Christian Bale.

I went and saw There Will Be Blood tonight. fucking excellent film. Daniel Day Lewis is so goddamn awesome. not a single second in the film is wasted. and the ending is totally awesome. loved it.

The book is also soooo much more detailed and extreme than the movie. The movie is like, G-rated in comparison.

I just saw Cloverfield. I'm not sure what to think of it. The style was certainly unique, especially applying digital effects to what was shot through a handheld camera. The party scene during the first half hour was a bit long but it let you get used to the dizzying camera movements before the violence started.

I think it was well made, but the whole concept was rather lame. I mean come on, how cliched can you get with the "Giant Monster Attacks New York" scenario? The movie could have been a lot better with a more unique plot concept.

I think the ending makes up for the unoriginal concept. :p

definitely. the movie left out the two best scenes: the urinal cake scene and the live, starved rat hahaha

The best part is when Patrick has the two women in Jack Owen's apartment, and does all kinds of br00tal stuff to them.