The Official Movie Thread

I watched the Matrix again today and frankly it kind of sucks. First of all, I would much rather live in the Matrix than be a rebel so I was rooting against the good guys the whole time. Also Keanu Reeves has to be the worst actor ever. Special effects aside it was dumb and frustrating.

I watched the Matrix again today and frankly it kind of sucks. First of all, I would much rather live in the Matrix than be a rebel so I was rooting against the good guys the whole time. Also Keanu Reeves has to be the worst actor ever. Special effects aside it was dumb and frustrating.

You can't draw the analogy of the Matrix+Real world to Religion+Atheism?

They're both about rejecting false beliefs/realities and embracing what's real/logical.

It reminded me a little of Mad Max/The Warriors at that point - too bad I'm not into the whole "oh crap a disease that zombifies you with a cliche female lead badass" type of shit.
Speaking of Mad Max. Anyone has any tips on good post apocalyptic movies?

I agree! I really liked Matrix when it came out but then I watched it about a year ago. It was just really bad. Boring, bad acting, the story wasn't as intruiging and believable as I thought the first time I watched it and even Mr. Smith wasn't really cool anymore.

Was the Matrix based on the novel "Neuromancer" by William Gibson? I was just reading it and noticed the similarities, and i heard Matrix was based on it. Honestly, when I saw the Matrix I was about 14 and even then I thought it was just an excuse for to show off stylistically new cinema techniques and fighting scenes. What plot there was didn't really interest me in the slightest.

The whole series is kind of lame to be honest. I enjoyed the first one on a mindless action level, though.

Was the Matrix based on the novel "Neuromancer" by William Gibson? I was just reading it and noticed the similarities, and i heard Matrix was based on it. Honestly, when I saw the Matrix I was about 14 and even then I thought it was just an excuse for to show off stylistically new cinema techniques and fighting scenes. What plot there was didn't really interest me in the slightest.

I thought it was (at least fundamentally) based on Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

goddammit, cookiecutter, where's my There Will Be Blood review :mad:
Seeing it on Thursday :). Will review after.

You can't draw the analogy of the Matrix+Real world to Religion+Atheism?

They're both about rejecting false beliefs/realities and embracing what's real/logical.
In a way this is true, but it they really can't be called the same. The Matrix although not "real" as in physical, may as well be real because it is indistinguishable from reality for a normal person. Religion is just imaginary and no one really is in heaven or talks to God, whereas the Matrix is an artificial reality where people are actually affected by the false reality. I'm not sure if I'm being very clear on this, but I hope I've conveyed the difference.

The Matrix is more based on Baudrillard's theory of Simula and Simulacron...some of the quotes in the movie are practically lifted right out of it

The Matrix is more based on Baudrillard's theory of Simula and Simulacron...some of the quotes in the movie are practically lifted right out of it

Yeah this is the prime source, there is even a shot of the book if I remember, but it is not the only one iirc.

Both Ender and Death Aflame are correct

equilibrium shits all over the matrix (and christian bale just shits all over everything...he could shit on me if he wanted to)