The Official Movie Thread

You really could've just posted part 1 and trusted people to be able to find parts 2-13. Also watching hard boiled on youtube is a crime.

HBO has officially picked up A Game of Thrones, and I am happy.

6a00d83451d69069e201310f542cb2970c-.jpg

Hard Boiled never overwhelmed me like A Better Tomorrow 1&2 and The Killer did. I still enjoyed Hard Boiled, but the latter three are some of the only action movies I've ever loved, not being a fan of the genre in the slightest.

I don't know why exactly I didn't like Hard Boiled as much. I think it might have something to do with its structure. It's a long time since I've seen all these movies but I recall Hard Boiled being centered around four or so big shootouts and towards the end, by the hospital shootout, I was kinda tired of all the constant gunfire and it didn't entertain me that much. If I recall correctly, the other three films I mentioned had more of a buildup towards one single big superclimactic shootout near the end.

I am very excited and worried at the same time:

HBO picking it up means it will be done very well, as opposed to the inherent cheese found in the network version of the Sword of Truth series.

On the other hand, the book series itself isn't even close to being finished, and then HBO has the notorious habit of cancelling shows after one or two seasons to try something new, only to do the same thing to the following show.(See Deadwood, Rome)

They said it will beone book a season, which is pretty damn good; the main problem will come around season three, because 1. DWD is nto finished, and 2. it follows the exact time path Feast for Crows does (as in it doesn't take place before or after, but during). When he finishes it those two books alone will be able to make another 2 seasons.

I only have hope because GRRM has written about 130 pages this month alone so far, and has been actually giving updates.

As for HBO, yeah that reputation sucks. At least they admitted that they totally fucked up with Rome - they forgot to add in the dvd sales along with something else so it looked as if they were losing massive amounts of money (shooting in the most expensive location in the world: Italy), and each episode cost a little over one million to make. With the dvd totals added in to the gross profit they realized the mistake way after it was too late.

The good thing for Ice and Fire though is they are shooting in Northern Ireland (so it's a lot cheaper), and they are getting sets from all the epic "ancient" movies like Troy and Kingdom of Heaven, so they can refurbish them to their style at a discount price while still having amazing quality.

This is why I am excited: they cut overhead dramatically, the cast looks amazing, the location is damned spot on for the series, and the books are actually basically being transferred over intact.

This is why I am excited: they cut overhead dramatically, the cast looks amazing, the location is damned spot on for the series, and the books are actually basically being transferred over intact.

Well at least they are going to be putting the sets from Kingdom of Heaven to actual good use. That was the most disappointing watch ever. I expected tons of epic battle carnage and got hours of random discussions, then 5 minutes of panoramic shots of what looked like CGI battles, which cut immediately to the aftermath.

I wasn't aware GRRM had given any updates recently, everytime I check his site there is really nothing new except "Oh hey, I am working on some other project right now".

Hard Boiled never overwhelmed me like A Better Tomorrow 1&2 and The Killer did. I still enjoyed Hard Boiled, but the latter three are some of the only action movies I've ever loved, not being a fan of the genre in the slightest.
Heh, I've totally the other way, always liked both Hard Boiled and The Killer but thought the A Better Tomorrow movies never really reached the same level as those. It was a really long time ago I watched them though (only have them on VHS) so I don't really remember why. :p

Well at least they are going to be putting the sets from Kingdom of Heaven to actual good use. That was the most disappointing watch ever. I expected tons of epic battle carnage and got hours of random discussions, then 5 minutes of panoramic shots of what looked like CGI battles, which cut immediately to the aftermath.

I wasn't aware GRRM had given any updates recently, everytime I check his site there is really nothing new except "Oh hey, I am working on some other project right now".

You're basically right with that last statement; he's only recently started updating. I've been monitoring the goons G.R.R.M thread, it is filled with hatred, rape and lemoncakes. They also keep me updated so I don't have to navigate his homepage.