The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Tarkus and the self-titled album are pretty much where it's at for ELP. The rest is a bit too cheesy for my taste.

Young Widows actually captures the Jesus Lizard sound impressively well while making it their own:

This should be the Shellac album everyone starts with:

And if neither of you have heard Big Black, you need to go buy Songs about Fucking right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Young Widows sounds pretty good, will definitely check out more. 1000 Hurts is definitely next on my Shellac list. Not sure if I like Big Black.

I just listened to The Jesus Lizard's Down for the first time and it's great.

Blade Runner OST by Vangelis is great stuff.

I've also been listening to some other stuff that I suppose is similar in a way but much lesser.

for me, at the moment, 80s sounding electronic music is easier to listen to than metal. I get sick of metal these days.

Rediscovering Apoptygma Berzerk after hitting a goth night over the weekend that peaked in the mid-2000s in this area and remembering them. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I picked up a couple Dead Can Dance albums recently, I'm listening to Spleen and Ideal right now and several times I've felt the hair on my arm raise up. I also got Within the Realm of of a Dying Sun. Anything else I should hear from the band?

Honestly, everything. Spiritchaser never clicked with me, but every other album is either very good or excellent.

In addition to the two you already have, Serpent's Egg and Aion qualify as essential.

Eligos said:
Tarkus and the self-titled album are pretty much where it's at for ELP. The rest is a bit too cheesy for my taste.

My opinion aw well. Their other albums can be painful at times. I do like Karn Evil 9 though.

Love this song. I need to listen to Dekker beyond his big hits.

I was looking for this thread yesterday, but for some reason couldn't find it. Anyone listen to any world music or music from different countries here? And if you do what kind(s)?

May be opening a whole other can of worms with this post, but fuck it. I listen to a lot of Middle Eastern music (very broad way of putting it but from classical, kawliya, dabke to pop) actually. I needed to find some "normal" music back in the teen years I actually enjoyed, and for some reason this was it. Anyways, a lot of you probably wouldn't be interested in this sorta thing but hey what the hell, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoF74Vu180

This is a classical Egyptian piece. This is an instrumental but the original singer of it is Umm Kulthoum, said to have the greatest voice in Egypt. I warn you though their singing is very different from West, it's very fluttery and pitchy but regardless very beautiful.

Currently addicted to Christian Death's "Only Theater of Pain." I'd love to hear more deathrock bands that are just as dark and moody as this, while still retaining a punk rock edge. Such a great album.

I was looking for this thread yesterday, but for some reason couldn't find it. Anyone listen to any world music or music from different countries here? And if you do what kind(s)?

May be opening a whole other can of worms with this post, but fuck it. I listen to a lot of Middle Eastern music (very broad way of putting it but from classical, kawliya, dabke to pop) actually. I needed to find some "normal" music back in the teen years I actually enjoyed, and for some reason this was it. Anyways, a lot of you probably wouldn't be interested in this sorta thing but hey what the hell, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoF74Vu180

This is a classical Egyptian piece. This is an instrumental but the original singer of it is Umm Kulthoum, said to have the greatest voice in Egypt. I warn you though their singing is very different from West, it's very fluttery and pitchy but regardless very beautiful.

Yeah I like a lot of world music, ranging from traditional to pop and from basically everywhere, but the Middle East especially. I really haven't developed my taste in these areas, so would love to learn about more stuff I've overlooked.

That piece you posted was nice, but I'd rather hear more of Umm Kulthoum. Any suggestions?

As far as "world music" I like:

South Africa:

Iraq:

Turkish psych folk from the 70s:

Natacha Atlas (Belgian, of Moroccan/Egyptian/Palestinian descent)

I also posted Vas a few pages back. Great mix of Persian and Indian music. Niyaz is another group of Azam Ali's that does great Arabian Pop. I also consider most of Dead Can Dance's discography to be world music.

Awesome! So glad to hear someone else shares in this! Natacha Atlas has such a beautiful voice! Love that song you posted. The South African song was really interesting. Gotta delve deeper into that as I never heard of SA music before, well at least to my knowledge. Takes awhile to get use to!

I really like the choubi choubi song. I feel like I've heard it somewhere, but the thing with a lot of Middle Eastern music is that back then there were few copyrights so everyone sorta just covered everybody else's songs. It's still like that but probably less so. Have you heard Iraqi kawilya? You might like it:

Kawilya music and dance refers to the entertainment forms of the gypsies in Iraq. I've heard it refer to as Hecha too, but the music is sorta similar. Sort of sounds like gun shots,lol. Unfortunately a lot of the women who perform kawilya entertainment in Iraq are prostitutes or something of the sort, but there are a few who aren't and brought the dance to other countries and totally made it more of a positive aspect of their culture.

Just found this channel on YT (Oum Kalthoum is the name of it where I got the bottom videos) and it has a bunch of Oum Kalthoum music and her performing it. Some famous songs are Alf Layla Wa Layla, Leylet Hob, Lessa Faker and Beid Annak** (my absolute favorite by her). It's hard to find good recordings of this but even with the bad recordings she still sounds really nice. There are also many many beautiful renditions of these songs too!

(Her singing the song i posted earlier.)

Oum Kalthoum singing Beid Annak

Umm... I absolutely LOVED the Les Mogols video you posted. I never heard their music before or even heard of them, thanks! Will be listening to their music :D & also will look back for your other post too. Dead Can Dance definitely has a lot of world influence, yes. I would definitely love to take a look at their music library.

If you like Middle Eastern pop I'd suggest Hakim, Amr Diab (Habibi Nour El Ain) and Fadel Shaker.

Some other Middle Eastern or Middle Eastern influenced music:

favorite belly dancer performing to a beautiful classical egyptian rendition of Ana Bastanak.

Okay this post is too long! haha I will go back to your other post and check out your links from there.

Lots of stuff

Re Natacha Atlas: Yes she is a phenomenal vocalist. Such an excellent blend of soulfulness and sensuality.

Re South African music: Yeah check out the compilation The Indestructible Beat of Soweto, which that song is from. Just a great collection from start to finish.

Re Iraqi kawilya: Never heard it before. The music is quite good and has that same machine percussion beat, which I love. Video is damn cheesy though.

Re Oum Kalthoum: Been listening to her a lot today. Just an astounding voice. I especially love the way she communicates pain; it's just so tangible.

Re Middle Eastern Pop: Yeah I recognize some of those names from Putomayo compilations. I'll need to give them more of a listen.

That's damn hot.