The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

His best album IMO

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVdfDoXHdZc&list=PLSthFO1xMVh8eOSnrjpwKaVRHaQM-gwmi[/ame]

Anyone in here listen to 70s soul? Finally exploring this genre after putting it off for years. It's too bad soul has turned into such a crap genre. Old school stuff has such great vocals, songwriting and arrangements. Superfly is pretty much a perfect album.

[youtube]Lus0wLOXvAc&feature=kp[/youtube]

I dig a lot of 70's soulful soundtracks, don't know shit about the genre though. I do know Curtis Mayfield is one of the big wigs that everyone loves, and with good reason.

TUNING NOTE: This piece is tuned to an 11-note subset of 19 equal divisions of the octave, a "kleismic" chain of minor thirds.

METRIC NOTE: As drawn poorly on the pavement, the udderbot drum machine moves *smoothly* from a 16-beat pattern to a 17-beat pattern by way of 11, using the same kind of process used to generate the tuning, but applied to rhythm. Credit due to Erv Wilson and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in here listen to 70s soul? Finally exploring this genre after putting it off for years. It's too bad soul has turned into such a crap genre. Old school stuff has such great vocals, songwriting and arrangements. Superfly is pretty much a perfect album.

Curtis is even better than Superfly imo. I'm kind of only making my way into soul backwards through funk, far from as familiar as I'd like to be right now, but definitely some great music to be found.

tbh I'm not even sure what new soul is. You mean like D'Angelo or whatever?

Curtis is even better than Superfly imo. I'm kind of only making my way into soul backwards through funk, far from as familiar as I'd like to be right now, but definitely some great music to be found.

tbh I'm not even sure what new soul is. You mean like D'Angelo or whatever?

I haven't heard Curtis yet, but if it's on par with Superfly then I'm looking forward to it. Nice songs, especially the Gil Scott Heron.

I don't know what new soul is. I guess I mostly think of soul and R&B as essentially synonymous, but maybe I'm off on that.

Lately been really enjoying Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower. Sad "cow owner's" stories, but made so damn well.

I never got around to going beyond Sackcloth n Ashes, but it's a great album.

Kind of related, I first checked out Crime & the City Solution because of the Birthday Party connection and the first couple listens didn't really appeal to me, but recently I've noticed that there's a big proto-gothic country vibe there (at least on Room of Lights) and it's growing on me a lot now.

[youtube]Lus0wLOXvAc&feature=kp[/youtube]

I'm more into funk than soul but yeah I guess it crosses over a fair bit.

Yeah the only difference I see is funk is more grove driven while soul is focused more on chord progressions. Also, soul tends to be more sentimental, reflective and emotional.

So I'm really glad I finally got around to listening to all these classic soul albums. It's really elite music. What's Going On is like the soul version of Dark Side of the Moon. It's actually weird how similar the two albums are structurally and thematically.

Hittin another kick. Man my music habits are just chaotic as shit.

Then... this

Too bad Samuel L Jackson doesn't get into making music, that I'm aware of or able to locate at least. He has a great voice and learned guitar for that movie.