The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

This is real good. It's a proggy album that doesn't sound like the '70s or '90s. Better than the last Porcupine Tree and SW album. It's actually pretty jazzy and sexy. You could play this around a girl and not feel like a dork.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the last time I touched Porcupine Tree was Deadwing. I just did a little spotchecking on youtube and not really having anything grab my attention. Are there any particular songs or albums past that point worth checking out?

So the last time I touched Porcupine Tree was Deadwing. I just did a little spotchecking on youtube and not really having anything grab my attention. Are there any particular songs or albums past that point worth checking out?
I thought Fear of a Blank Planet was really good from start to finish. One of their better albums overall. You will have to get over the lyrics, which are from the perspective of a 12-year-old or something. "Xbox/is a god to me" is one of the first lyrics on the album, but I think if you aren't finding the humor you miss the point. The big epic track is strong, and the emotion comes through later in the album. Check the whole thing out, but it's not a huge creative difference from Deadwing.

The Incident is not real good, falls off a cliff after about the first 15 minutes. I like this song quite a bit.

From here I'd suggest skipping to Steven Wilson's album from this year, Hand Cannot Erase. Feels like he's less interested in making a prog rock album, and more about just writing good songs and telling a story. He's mostly pulled out all the metal riffs, which is a good thing. Big emotion throughout. Doesn't sound especially inspired by the '70s or '90s, which is refreshing. Here's the first 12 minutes, but do check out the whole thing. It's my favorite album this year.

i said in another thread that i love music which sounds like a religious experience. with that in mind, i feel like reiterating that elend's THE UMBERSUN is still probably my favourite album of all time. it moves and thrills and challenges me beyond anything else i've ever heard. i'll never get tired of it.

I feel like I'm in the minority for believing Porcupine Tree's best albums were Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. I liked their early proggy stuff, and their later dark prog metal-ish stuff is okay...but that middle era is just the bees knees for me.

Solid. Not anywhere near metal. Dark and somber, but not depressing/boring like a lot of a similar style slower folk.

tumblr_nvqepbjoRb1qien1uo1_1280.jpg