The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Was watching some Rush DVDs today for the first time in a while, and I really forgot how great they are. Hemispheres is probably my favorite album of theirs, but I think the synth era is even better as a whole. Case in point:

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some good soul music, recs would be appreciated.

If you want some artsier soul music, go with the Fifth Dimension. They're wonderful.

Spooky Tooth is another 60s band that does a kind of blend of art rock, blues rock and soul. They also rule.

That's about as close to soul as I get.

I just got an album by 7th Octave. They're basically a Rap Metal group that don't suck.

A Tribe Called Quest is definitely my group in rap or hip-hop. Anyone who is skeptical about the genre and wants more than sampled beats and typical rap lyrical fare should listen to The Low End Theory, though they definitely don't have any albums that aren't great.

Cookiecutter, have you heard DOOM? He's a pretty good, out-there, east coast rapper a la Ghostface Killa. The new record, Born Like This, is sick. Look it up.

A Tribe Called Quest is definitely my group in rap or hip-hop. Anyone who is skeptical about the genre and wants more than sampled beats and typical rap lyrical fare should listen to The Low End Theory, though they definitely don't have any albums that aren't great.

I agree wholeheartedly. The Low End Theory is among my favorites when it comes to any genre, to be quite honest. I don't see myself finding anything that comes close to it in all of hip-hop though.

36 Chambers: Enter the Wu-Tang is basically the best rap album ever. All things Wu are generally great.

I love the whole late 80s/90s conscious rap movement though. Jurassic 5, the previously mentioned A Tribe Called Quest, Blackalicious, De La Soul, etc.

/me np: Genelec & Memphis Reigns - [Scorpion Circles #01] Firebombz [0:01 / 3:12] [192 kbps]

This is my current favorite at the moment, kind of like early Wu-Tang production-wise with a more refined early Jedi Mind Tricks style wise.

A Tribe Called Quest are top notch in the realm of rap/hip hop.

Right now, I am listening to ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. I bought it last week but haven't had the chance to listen to it until now. This is some good stuff!