The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Been cranking some vintage Midnight Oil lately after a post in non-metal reminded me of them the other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Review I wrote for my blog on Mt. Eerie - Dawn: Winter Journal. You should listen to this album very soon if you dig lo-fi folk stuff.

Often times, the idea of indie folk, and folk music as a whole, either brings to mind bands like lame, mellow-dramatic and over bloated bands like Bright Eyes, hillside violins, Bob Dylan or the stripped down genius and sincerity of singer-songwriters like Elliott Smith or, to a more far-removed to moder times but equaliy excellent example, Leonard Cohen and Nick Drake. Phil Elevrum has always managed to make his music sit in-between both being a full band style sound or with isolationist intamency, with The Microphones he made some pretty damn good fuzzed-out folk rock, and with his new project under the banner of Mount Eerie, he has made some pretty somber, acoustic sounding music that resides next to early Elliott Smith records and other “basement recording” artists.

Written sometime between 2002-2003 in a cabin in Norway, Dawn: Winter Journal is a fully-developed and finely executed album. Almost every track provides a suitable advancement to the emotional concept of the album. Songs like "It Wasn’t The Hunting" display Elevrum’s solemn intensions about his trip to Norway, and the feelings of sadness that rooted the reason for the trip.

Elverum’s also has seemed to become rooted in shorter, and to-the-point songs that don’t drift or meddle in useless song-segments that do not aid to the overall sound and composition of the song. An obvious example of this development of this idea can be seen in simple and heartbreaking chord progressions and vocal melodies of “With My Hands Out,” where Elverum’s aching nostalgic vocals mix perfectly with the somber and simple guitar lines. “Voice in Headphones” blends a mid-pace beat with an even more simplistic chord progression with more simple vocal lines over it. After repeated listens it won’t be hard to find some boring aspect in the repetitiveness of the songs. This certainly is not an album to listen to start-to-finish; mix it up and play it with your ow tracklist version, the result is much more rewarding.

When Elverum is dipping his fingers in more complicated playing, he takes time to craft songs like “Great Ghosts” that show more depth, deeper skill and technique but never get in the way of making the song listenable. The song goes from necessary movements where tension is presented and resolved, both with vocals and guitars. Eleverum’s lyrics continue to walk the path on “Great Ghosts” that a majority of the rest of the album walks, taking the road that makes a point of showing the emotional depth that he encountered in his trip to Norway and the feelings of despair he dealt within the trip. It is here where Eleverum showcases exactly how well-off he is in his song-writing skills

The songs walk a thin line the divides the albums tone between somber and hopeless as one side of the duality and the other being optimistic and rising above the ashes of the emotional fire that seems to be the influence of this record. While some may find his lyrical attempts to be ridden with sadness and extreme longing, there is a slight sense of hope and light at the end of the tunnel, both a lyrical and melodic level.

I've started getting into Jamiroquai. I love this stuff. Anybody know of anything like it but better?

That review is really poorly written, and the fact you actually typed "mellow-dramatic" almost makes me want to put you on my ignore list again.

Some of you will laugh but Ween have some cool/weird songs. I've been digging a few off of this one lately:
B0000ADXEC_01_LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Transdermal Celebration"

"Tried and True"

Last edited by a moderator:
Abandoned Pools
AC/DC
Alice In Chains
The Animals
Aphex Twin
Arctic Monkeys
Asia
The B-52's
Basshunter
Bauhaus
The Beatles
Beck
Billy Idol
Billy Joel
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Blink-182
Bloc Party
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bob Seger
Box Car Racer
Buckethead
Chemical Brothers
Chuck Berry
CKY
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR)
Crystal Castles
Culture Club
Cut Copy
Cypress Hill
D12
Da Lench Mob
Daft Punk
Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Dizzee Rascal
The Doors
Dr. Dre
Duran Duran
Elton John
Eminem
Eric Clapton
Fatboy Slim
Frank Sinatra
Global Deejays
HIM (lol fuck off)
Ice Cube
Ice-T
Iggy Pop
Jesu
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
John Cougar Mellencamp
John Lennon
Johnny Cash
Journey
Justice
The Kinks
KMFDM
Kool & the Gang
Led Zeppelin
Lil Jon & The East Size Boyz
Men at Work
Michael Jackson
Midnight Oil
The Misfits
Muse
My Chemical Romance (only the old stuff)
N.W.A
Nine Inch Nails
Orbital
Pat Benatar
Paul McCartney & Wings
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
The Presets
Queen
Regurgitator
Rick Astley
Rolling Stones
Santana
Savage Garden
Sum 41
Sweet
t.A.T.u
Tom Petty
Twisted Sister
The Used
Van Halen
Ween
Weezer
Whitesnake
Wu-Tang Clan
2Pac

IB tl'dr.

That review is really poorly written, and the fact you actually typed "mellow-dramatic" almost makes me want to put you on my ignore list again.

That review is better than anything you have written. I don't see how it is poorly written either. Omni, Omni, Omni.

Of course, they do cover run-ons. I read through it again, and it was pretty poorly written. I though it was good, though. I think I properly explained the album and hopefully made people interested in checking it out. If you want to bash the grammer, sure, that is fair game and don't mind people making corrections. I do not like when people bash the content, though. If you don't like the content of the review, just leave it alone.

That review is better than anything you have written. I don't see how it is poorly written either. Omni, Omni, Omni.

I can actually spell and form coherent sentences, not to mention that I don't invent words. Your review is written in a heavily redundant, convoluted fashion and also happens to contain cringe-worthy phrases such as "mellow-dramatic" and "acoustic sounding music." Not to mention that your approach to writing in this instance is awkward and not at all suited to a review.

To add on to what Omni is saying. Did your English teacher ever cover how to write a critique or review?

I can actually spell and form coherent sentences, not to mention that I don't invent words. Your review is written in a heavily redundant, convoluted fashion and also happens to contain cringe-worthy phrases such as "mellow-dramatic" and "acoustic sounding music." Not to mention that your approach to writing in this instance is awkward and not at all suited to a review.

I would argue that your reviews are pretty worthless also. I never said it, to avoid your nature of posting, but your reviews fucking suck. I hate how you throw out random lyrics and try to explain their meaning. I can argue all day and night about how I am against the act of trying to explain lyrics to other people but I will avoid that to same room for some actual crituqe. The real thing that bothers me is how akward you placed the lyrics, in EVERY review that you did. I could understand maybe one or two reviews but you did it on EVERY one and that was somewhat tacky. I can't find your blog anymore, but honestly it was an eyesore to read it and than it was broken up. Aside from that, each review was generally boring and did you offer anything from flat-out dick sucking of an album. Granted, that review I posted was shitty but I have written much better reviews which I would be more than glad to PM to you for you to praise/hate. Nonetheless, that review is coherent and explains the record and I am proud of that aspect. It is in your posting habit to overblow the way a person posts and such so I will take that with little salt.

I am putting you on ignore. You seem to love what I post, I get a kick out of what you post but I don't want to spend all of my time trying to see what kind of obscene attention whoring post you wrote. You love my posts and it makes you look good on the fourm, by all means keep doing it but I won't be reading it. I'll PM them anyways, you'll read them and I know that.