The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Got Poe's album Haunted today in the mail. Not sure how many people here know of her, but she's Mark Danielewski's (author of House of Leaves) sister, and Haunted is actually inspired by the book. It's odd stuff, but very good; I'd call it "weird pop."

Awesome ambient/electronic/acoustic stuff. Really one of those albums that should be played from start to finish, but this is one of the best tracks on it.

I been listening to a lot of Faith No More lately. Actually only the song Midlife Crisis I have been listening too. It's very catchy.

One of the best bands ever. Angel Dust and The Real Thing are both masterpieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about that, does it seem to sort of fit with House of Leaves?

On the surace level, not really. The music is very upbeat (for the most part), but the album is interspersed with several strange phone conversation interludes that contrast the "popiness" of the songwriting. Furthermore, the lyrics are totally inspired by House of Leaves, and you can pinpoint lots of references throughout.

In my opinion, the album works because it takes an ironic approach to the story. It would be too obvious to just make a dark, slow, haunting record (and it would likely just sound like a Tom Waits ripoff); so she took it in another direction and crafted this homage to a very dark tale in the guise of a pop music record. Personally, I think the contrast between the thematic content and the music lends even more to its disturbing nature.

Poe has a new album? You're talking "Angry Johnny" Poe?

I've been listening to lots of techno and house lately. I really want to jump on a plane to London and go to Fabric.