The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I received my grades for the semester I managed to pull off a 4.0. I'm mostly psyched about doing well on final papers for my two honors module courses. That, and I may end up landing a paid humanities tutor position at my school next semester. :D

I received my grades for the semester I managed to pull off a 4.0. I'm mostly psyched about doing well on final papers for my two honors module courses. That, and I may end up landing a paid humanities tutor position at my school next semester. :D

Nice! I was a tutor at our campus Writing Center, and I loved it. It was a good foot in the door to begin my teaching career. It was also super convenient going to class and then to work. The only thing that sucked was you could only work a maximum of 20 hours on campus

Nice! I was a tutor at our campus Writing Center, and I loved it. It was a good foot in the door to begin my teaching career. It was also super convenient going to class and then to work. The only thing that sucked was you could only work a maximum of 20 hours on campus

It'll probably be about the same hour constraints for me, but I'll be making up lost time at my regular job. I'm hoping that it will help me get my foot in the door for a TA position in grad school. I have a few years to go for that though.

sexy-as-hell Juggalette chick with ghost-white skin that i used to hang out with just got out of prison and i'm gonna spend the day with her, she's totally straight, been locked up for 2 and a half years, and i might be able to get into her pants

Working on my syllabus for the course I'm teaching this fall. Tentative title: "Frontier Fear: Texts of the American Gothic." Potential readings include:

H.P. Lovecraft: “The Weird Tradition in America” from Supernatural Horror in Literature, 1927

Charles Brockden Brown: Wieland: or, the Transformation, 1798

Washington Irving: “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” 1820

Nathaniel Hawthorne: “Young Goodman Brown” (1835), “The Birthmark” (1846), “Rappaccini’s Daughter” (1846), “The Minister’s Black Veil” (1836); possibly The House of the Seven Gables, 1851

Edgar Allan Poe: (undecided assortment)

Henry James: “The Romance of Certain Old Clothes,” 1868

Ambrose Bierce: “The Damned Thing,” 1893

Dorothy Scarborough: The Wind, 1925

H.P. Lovecraft: “The Outsider,” 1926; At the Mountains of Madness, 1936

William Faulkner: “A Rose for Emily,” 1930

Philip K. Dick: “The Hanging Stranger,” 1953; “The Father-Thing,” 1954

Flannery O’Connor: “A Good Man is Hard to Find,” 1955; “The Artificial my pals,” 1955

Sylvia Plath: “Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams,” 1977 (published posthumously)

Harlan Ellison: “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream,” (1967)

Ursula K. Le Guin: “Schrodinger’s Cat,” 1974

Cormac McCarthy: Outer Dark, 1968; or Child of God, 1973

Potential Critical Readings (likely only two at most):
Teresa Goddu: “The Circulation of Women in The House of the Seven Gables”

Susan Kollin: “Race, Labor, and the Gothic Western: Dispelling Frontier Myths in Dorothy Scarborough’s The Wind”

Gerhard Hoffman: “Strangeness, Gaps, and the Mystery of Life: Cormac McCarthy’s Southern Novels”

Nick Land: “Cybergothic”

Excerpts from Richard Slotkin’s Regeneration Through Violence: the Mythology of the American Frontier, 1600-1860

I just took a raunchy, steamy shit. Feelsgoodman. Now I'ma blast some Wormed and go for powerwalk around town.