The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Were the roads swarming with tourists?

Perhaps not swarming, since it's still only May, but it was a Friday so some were present. The place was BYOB so there were New Yorkers in their Birkenstocks and visors spreading table cloths on the picnic tables right on the wharf for their champagne glasses. I nearly burst out laughing when a couple lobstermen starting loading barrels of rotting chum into their boat right next to them.

Early today, I had one of those random, but awesome conversations about metal. I was sitting on a bench reading and this 50 or so African man asked me if I knew where the Social Services building was. I was wearing a Mastodon shirt, which the guy pointed out and said they were a good band. I thought he was bullshitting at first, but then he started talking about how Remission was a great album and that March of the Red Fire Ants was one of his favorite songs.

Then he told me this crazy story about how, when he was in the Marines, he got stationed in Norway and saw Mayhem, with Dead, perform. I'm not sure if I bought it, but it was pretty entertaining. We started talking about Bolt Thrower too and I mentioned I had seen them live at MDF, which he thought was awesome. He hasn't made it to MDF yet, but he said it was on his bucket list. His wife ended up dragging him away after a few minutes,

Appearances can be deceiving :lol:

Yeah people into "real" metal never look like people expect, unlike people into deathcore/nu-metal/metalcore, etc that almost always look exactly the same.

Its sad really, it seems more and more people these days are just fucking obsessed with the image of everything and how they look to other people bla bla bla.

Not really, it's the same people. You just didn't notice it before. Possibly because of the circumstances that you were in, or whatever. I've found myself in awkward music discussions with deathcore kids more than I'd like to count.

Early today, I had one of those random, but awesome conversations about metal. I was sitting on a bench reading and this 50 or so African man asked me if I knew where the Social Services building was. I was wearing a Mastodon shirt, which the guy pointed out and said they were a good band. I thought he was bullshitting at first, but then he started talking about how Remission was a great album and that March of the Red Fire Ants was one of his favorite songs.

Then he told me this crazy story about how, when he was in the Marines, he got stationed in Norway and saw Mayhem, with Dead, perform. I'm not sure if I bought it, but it was pretty entertaining. We started talking about Bolt Thrower too and I mentioned I had seen them live at MDF, which he thought was awesome. He hasn't made it to MDF yet, but he said it was on his bucket list. His wife ended up dragging him away after a few minutes,

Appearances can be deceiving :lol:

One time I was at California Adventure theme park at the Disneyland Resort, and I was waiting in line for spaghetti at a restaurant. This geeky-looking 30+-year-old employee wearing glasses behind the counter sees my Immortal shirt, and he asks me what my favorite album was by them. I thought he was fucking joking, so I asked him. Sure enough, he answered with Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism. We ended up talking about metal for about 20 minutes.

Like Black Orifice said, appearances can be deceiving :kickass:.