The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

It is wrong to be ambitious or to pursue something because you are passionate about it or it brings you joy. The only correct course of action is to pursue something that will ensure you are employed.

Why would I major in something I hated?

Why would you ask a question that has absolutely no relevance to the post you quoted?

I think it's entirely relevant

I guess you're wrong then because it isn't.

I suppose you could say that some people major in something that they enjoyed doing, but the career path they take isn't beneficial to them and they end up hating where they've ended up, but not necessarily how they got there or whatever. There are those that just do something because it brings them an exorbitant amount of money, but I think that's a very small percentage of people.

BLARGH. I am way too tired to be having a conversation like this.

got turned down by all the colleges I applied to. now what?

trash1.jpg

I suppose you could say that some people major in something that they enjoyed doing, but the career path they take isn't beneficial to them and they end up hating where they've ended up, but not necessarily how they got there or whatever. There are those that just do something because it brings them an exorbitant amount of money, but I think that's a very small percentage of people.

...And there are also people who pursue what they feel passionate about and are happy because they do what they love regardless of financial success, as well as people who pursue something because it's "realistic" and end up doing a job that leaves them unfulfilled.

I major in philosophy which is not useful for getting a job at all but I'm actually trying to go for my Ph.D. so that I can be a professor and teach other people how to be unemployable.

But seriously, Ozzman or whatever the hell your name is, quit giving people shit about their majors. We have to put up with this kind of crap all the time and it's really fucking annoying.

I major in philosophy which is not useful for getting a job at all but I'm actually trying to go for my Ph.D. so that I can be a professor and teach other people how to be unemployable.

But seriously, Ozzman or whatever the hell your name is, quit giving people shit about their majors. We have to put up with this kind of crap all the time and it's really fucking annoying.

LoL @ me being in the same boat as you (sans the professorship, but you never know).

BLARGH. I am way too tired to be having a conversation like this.

As far as I'm concerned, ending up in a high-paying career is possibly the worse source of motivation possible. I have to say, I pity people who put themselves through a living hell - twenty or so years of working their ass of in education, followed by however long it takes of working their ass of to get a high paying job, then working hard to keep the job - because, although they end up very rich and having whatever they want, they're usually quite sad individuals.

Me, I do what I enjoy. Which is art and creative writing. I have yet to decide what I want to pursue as a career, but self-employment is, I feel, something that would suit me. My sleep patterns are screwed up, 9 is too early to start working and 5 to late to stop.

Just my $0.5 anyway.

That's different since Latin is an essential part of a Classics major. Good luck finding a decent job with that though

I plan on getting a Classics certification along with my degree in Secondary Education and Latin, so I can teach more than just Latin. I plan on studying ancient Greek, Mediterranean mythology, and some more philosophy.

There are some good opportunities out there for Classicists, but education is always the safest bet, I confess.

Everyone gets shit about their major from someone. It just goes with the territory

As far as I'm concerned, ending up in a high-paying career is possibly the worse source of motivation possible. I have to say, I pity people who put themselves through a living hell - twenty or so years of working their ass of in education, followed by however long it takes of working their ass of to get a high paying job, then working hard to keep the job - because, although they end up very rich and having whatever they want, they're usually quite sad individuals.

Me, I do what I enjoy. Which is art and creative writing. I have yet to decide what I want to pursue as a career, but self-employment is, I feel, something that would suit me. My sleep patterns are screwed up, 9 is too early to start working and 5 to late to stop.

Just my $0.5 anyway.

Well, yeah, but I wasn't trying to imply that a high paying job is the only reason I went into Finance. I've been intrigued by the stock market since I was in grade school and it's something that interested me m entire life. Granted, it's more of a general degree, but there was some concentration I did on equities markets.

I've thought about going back to school and doing Music Theory or something and just teaching the rest of my life. That's one of the many things I'd like to do though.

I plan on getting a Classics certification along with my degree in Secondary Education and Latin, so I can teach more than just Latin. I plan on studying ancient Greek, Mediterranean mythology, and some more philosophy.

There are some good opportunities out there for Classicists, but education is always the safest bet, I confess.

Well, you know what you want to do already. A good number of college students don't. The average time it takes someone to graduate college now is 6 years because they change their major, drop out and come back, etc. Many people don't know what they want to do. For all we know, you could want to change to Psychology or Physics next year. I initially started out in Engineering, but I switched to business before school started because my calculus grade in high school sucked.

Basically all the Business majors here are taking it because they don't give a fuck about anything and they just want to make money.

We give a fuck about some shit, like creative accounting and stiffing consumers :heh:

Again, read above. I actually enjoyed majoring in Finance. I got more out of it than doing Management, which is what I was doing before I transferred (I give my friend shit too and he knows it's an easy degree, so whatever). I didn't do it solely because there's a high income earning potential there. That's a reason, but not the sole reason. I wouldn't have done so well in it if I had hated it (at least personally. I only do shitty in classes I hate)

I guess what I intended to say was different from how it came out. It was only supposed to be a jab at CC, but I had a bit to drink and took it farther than I should have.

Also, the last page and a half or so of posts ought to be moved to the school/uni thread. Just a thought.

Fair enough. It's good that some people going into business are motivated. Those kind of people are valuable to our failing economy.

Speaking Latin, I just finished my first assignment for Latin Literature, and I'll probably start translating the first 50 lines of Luctretius' De Rerum Natura for Roman Philosophy. I also need to read Vitruvius for Honors.

I'm so glad that all the classes I'm taking this semester are relevant to my scholarly focus and not a bunch of gen-ed requirements.

The majority of gen ed requirements are stupid. Where I went, I had to take 9 hours of theology and 9 hours of philosophy. Way too much of either to be general requirements, imo, but it was a fucking Jesuit school.