The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

etc.

When I do anything comparable, I'm almost always joking, and it's pretty obvious.

saying that classical music is "unlistenable" is moronic and he deserved to get called by zeph and i... it's one thing to say "i don't like it" but to call it unlistenable shows enormous ignorance

saying that classical music is "unlistenable" is moronic and he deserved to get called by zeph and i... it's one thing to say "i don't like it" but to call it unlistenable shows enormous ignorance
I don't see how nec can complain. If someone came on here and was all like "Heavy metal sucks" would they deserve to be bashed?

Nothing. I just found out the music for the Blackberry Curve commercial is not an actual artist/song and created just for the commercial so you can't download the entire song listening to it..... wwahhh. I want to hear a full version.

If you do not know what I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched No Country For Old Men again with my roomate over a few beers. Second time I've watched it. Fucking great film. It will definitely go down as a classic.

By the way, anyone here ever had Gulden Draak Ale from Berlin? Fucking awesome brew.

Zeph, just curious: have you ever read Conn Iggulden's Caesar tetralogy? It's a series of novels based on the life of Julius Caesar. As far as I can tell it's not historically accurate, but it's pretty damn entertaining.

Anyway, in the books there's a character named Suetonius who is a perpetual nuisance to Caesar and Brutus. I'm assuming it's the same Suetonius who later wrote The Twelve Caesers. I was wondering if he actually was a childhood acquaintance of theirs.

Zeph, just curious: have you ever read Conn Iggulden's Caesar tetralogy? It's a series of novels based on the life of Julius Caesar. As far as I can tell it's not historically accurate, but it's pretty damn entertaining.

Anyway, in the books there's a character named Suetonius who is a perpetual nuisance to Caesar and Brutus. I'm assuming it's the same Suetonius who later wrote The Twelve Caesers. I was wondering if he actually was a childhood acquaintance of theirs.

First of all, the Suetonius who wrote The Twelve Caesars was born in 70 AD, over a century after Julius Caesar's death.

I appreciate the recommendation, but I'd much rather read the primary source. I'd rather read histories/biographies written by people who lived within their subject's context. This is also why I'm concurrently reading Herodotus' Histories.

Okay, thanks.

I actually wasn't recommending them, I was only introducing them because they were the source of the character I was questioning. Also, literature majors and history/classics majors have to reconcile their differences slightly. I'm less strict when it comes to historical accuracy in novels, as long as it's a good story (although I do enjoy knowing the correct historical information). I'm sure that you prefer historical accuracy, as it lends more to your field. Thanks for the information; I'm guessing that Iggulden altered the facts to better create a dramatic story. Still, if you're ever in the mood for a good historical fiction read, it's a swell tetralogy. (now I am recommending them) :cool:

What's also cool is alternative history. You know, those "what if" scenarios of the consequences of certain historical events occurring differently, or not at all.

Check out this book What Might Have Been. It plays out a few scenarios of what would happen if, for example, the Spanish were able to conquer England, or if Al Gore won the election. Pretty interesting stuff.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/What-Might-Have-Been-Historians/dp/0753818736[/ame]

5168oMFWm-L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

What's also cool is alternative history. You know, those "what if" scenarios of the consequences of certain historical events occurring differently, or not at all.

Check out this book What Might Have Been. It plays out a few scenarios of what would happen if, for example, the Spanish were able to conquer England, or if Al Gore won the election. Pretty interesting stuff.

I'll definitely check it out man, thanks for the tip. I've read some Orson Scott Card stuff; he does fantasy alternate history type novels. It's really cool shit; definitely an interesting genre.