The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Zeph is right. I guess I should spam less, and actually have some content in my thread. But don't forget, this is the "what are you doing this moment".

Indeed...I'm confused. Your parents have a house in Maine but also in Boston?

Let's set things straight.

My father moved from Buffalo to Boston when he started attending MIT in 1966.

My parents bought the property on Westport Island, Maine in 1986 and built the house a year later.

I was born in 1989 in Waltham, Massachusetts, and lived in Arlington most of my life. Near Boston.

The house in Maine has been our summer residence ever since 1987.

Last year, we changed our legal residence from our house in Arlington to our house in Maine. The house near Boston now serves as my parents' winter residence. We pay Maine taxes and I get in-state tuition at the University of Maine at Orono.

As in, did they move to the house in Maine so Zeph could get the in state tuition, which is SIGNIFICANTLY less than for out-of-staters?

Was this for purposes of getting said in state tuition?

Sort of. But it's been the plan for many years for my father to retire to Maine. The fact that I chose to attend college here played into that plan most conveniently. He still goes down to Boston every weekend to play the organ at a church in Cambridge. He'll eventually give that up and spend his declining years playing at a local church here in Maine.

As in, did they move to the house in Maine so Zeph could get the in state tuition, which is SIGNIFICANTLY less than for out-of-staters?

No. I chose to attend UMaine for other reasons. The financial incentive was just icing on the cake. The plan to retire to Maine has been known since before I was in middle school.

No. I chose to attend UMaine for other reasons. The financial incentive was just icing on the cake. The plan to retire to Maine has been known since before I was in middle school.
No, i didn't mean that you went to Maine for the tuition but rather that the move was made or at least accelerated due to your choice to attend UMaine.

There aren't enough people going into teaching, so there's definitely plenty of jobs out there for a latin teacher.

No, i didn't mean that you went to Maine for the tuition but rather that the move was made or at least accelerated due to your choice to attend UMaine.

This is correct, actually. We had to move quicker because we had a window to establish permanent residency in order to qualify for in-state tuition, which is half that of out-of-state.

Well jobs like teaching, and carpentry, etc are easier to get. But others are harder.

You hear they're shutting down the paper mill in Millinocket? Oil prices are killing our state's economy, economically and touristically.

You hear they're shutting down the paper mill in Millinocket? Oil prices are killing our state's economy, economically and touristically.
Yeah I saw it on the news. Also, while we are talking about Maine news, did you see the news on that guy Leo who cut that dudes arm off with a knife and stabbed a 10 year old girl in Augusta? Well he went to my school for a few months.

Didn't hear about that. I'm more worried that the local Irving station's posting $3.96 per gallon. Won't be long before it breaches 4.