The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Because unlike all those Christians who believe in an afterlife and God controlling everything, atheists clearly don't give a shit about the environment...

Actually, as an atheist, you have more reason to be concerned about the environment because you don't believe that you will go to a fairy tale paradise when you die and there is no divine intervention to save the world from an ill turn of events.

It's difficult regardless of your position on eschatology. Theists and atheists alike are hard to motivate when they think they'll be dead before any chickens of environmental abuse come home to roost before they're dead. Cynicism for one group, Platonism for the other.

zabu of nΩd;10261577 said:
Because unlike all those Christians who believe in an afterlife and God controlling everything, atheists clearly don't give a shit about the environment...

That's not exactly what I meant, I was thinking more of all the earth goddess stuff that goes along with "Earth Day".

That's not exactly what I meant, I was thinking more of all the earth goddess stuff that goes along with "Earth Day".

The Earth Day festival in Omaha is a total shameless self promotion event. Everyone tries to tie in to their agenda with environmentalism, but it's largely about different groups promoting themselves. Local businesses, various non-profits, and of course all the local bands that play on the stage. I have never been under any illusion that this is an entirely genuine event. All that aside, I am in favor of preserving the environment. Also, don't forget Dak, I jumped off the "global warming is fake" train long ago.

The Earth Day festival in Omaha is a total shameless self promotion event. Everyone tries to tie in to their agenda with environmentalism, but it's largely about different groups promoting themselves. Local businesses, various non-profits, and of course all the local bands that play one the stage. I have never been under any illusion that this is an entirely genuine event. All that aside, I am in favor of preserving the environment. Also, don't forget Dak, I jumped off the "global warming is fake" train long ago.

When you look at all the big money behind a government response to "climate change", red flags should go up. Climate change is reality. Always has been. It's not a policy issue.

Anyway, I was referring to athiests going to a religious event and not in protest.

When you look at all the big money behind a government response to "climate change", red flags should go up. Climate change is reality. Always has been. It's not a policy issue.

Anyway, I was referring to athiests going to a religious event and not in protest.

Um, climate change is damn well a policy issue if humans are causing it and throwing the ecosystem way off balance.

zabu of nΩd;10261854 said:
Um, climate change is damn well a policy issue if humans are causing it and throwing the ecosystem way off balance.

401675_f520.jpg

Climate change is a natural earth phenomenon. Pollution =/= climate change. Pollution is a problem, and is a result of the tragedy of the commons, or more specifically, a problem caused by corporatism in general. You can't get the solution from the problem.

Climate change is being altered/accelerated by man-made causes. Politicians will politicize anything, duh.
So exactly how is Earth Day religious?

Climate change is being altered/accelerated by man-made causes. Politicians will politicize anything, duh.
So exactly how is Earth Day religious?

I don't buy that, and even if it were true, judging by the long periods of much cooler temps on the earth, it's not a bad thing. If you think losing a few miles on the coastlines due to a 1 degree rise is bad, wait until you see what a 10 degree drop(celsius) does to civilization. Hell, even a 5 degree drop.

Earth Day - "Mother Earth" - "Earth Goddess" etc. Also, although not as bad as "liking" something on Facebook, it's still slacktivism in my book. You may, like you said, be able to self promote or do some other things, but it doesn't do a thing for the earth. In the end, it's a chance for some people to pat themselves on the back over "awareness" before going back to their unconscious lives for the other 364 days of the year.

I don't buy that, and even if it were true, judging by the long periods of much cooler temps on the earth, it's not a bad thing. If you think losing a few miles on the coastlines due to a 1 degree rise is bad, wait until you see what a 10 degree drop(celsius) does to civilization. Hell, even a 5 degree drop.

Either way, those changes can be accelerated and brought about by careless industrialization. Nuclear winter, anyone? BTW, I'm not against industrialization, but it must be done in a responsible manner, even if it means lower short-term returns on investment.

Earth Day - "Mother Earth" - "Earth Goddess" etc. Also, although not as bad as "liking" something on Facebook, it's still slacktivism in my book. You may, like you said, be able to self promote or do some other things, but it doesn't do a thing for the earth. In the end, it's a chance for some people to pat themselves on the back over "awareness" before going back to their unconscious lives for the other 364 days of the year.

Earth Day: John McConnell, or the 3 other individuals who also claim to have founded the "holiday" back in 1969 - 1970 were all secular leaders, therefore Earth Day is not religious. Is it slacktivism? That's a cynical way to put it, but not entirely inaccurate. The Omaha Atheists , who are part of the Coalition of Reason (http://unitedcor.org/omaha/page/home), were indeed there for self-promotion. I think it's necessary. Nebraska is a conservative red state, and "heathens" like me feel alienated. It makes non-believers feel good to know that there really are like minded people in their community.