Themed Mixtape Game Mk. 2

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth

46cb6876-4581-4829-a591-243e9c628ee5-jpeg.31252

Pretty sure we had this back in the "Reincarnation" mixtape in the old game, too.

i didn't know, sorry :( Arg should have caught this one. I dont think i participated in that old reincarnation mixtape

I think it's fine. This is a new game so I don't think participants should be expected to keep track of every song that was submitted in the old game.

I'm more bothered that one of The Chasm's most forgettable songs should show up twice :p

Pungent Stench - Happy Re-Birthday
Filthy sound but a little too straightforward for me. Don't mind it but I wouldn't go out of my way to hear this.
6/10

Forsaken - Resurgam
Epic stuff. The parts where it winds down are so sinister and unsettling.
10/10

Gorguts - With Their Flesh, He'll Create
I'm trying but this kind of stuff just doesn't do anything for me. Once I move on to the next song I won't remember one second of this.
6/10

Pagan Altar - Reincarnation
Terry Jones' vocal performance on the intro is one of my all-time faves. The "shapes of lands, islands and seas" part never fails to give me goosebumps. The intro alone would be a 10/10. The second part is fun to listen to, but too playful and jammy to really evoke anything.
8.5/10

Dismember - Reborn in Blasphemy

Unlike the last two death metal tunes, this has some riffs that might actually stick in my brain. Still in "not really my thing"-territory, but good enough to let me roleplay a death metal fan for 5 minutes.
7.5/10

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones
I've walked to campus blasting this album many a cold winter's morning. Super cozy stuff.
8/10

Tomb Mold - Infinite Resurrection
There are some cool riffs here but I feel like the mix makes everything bleed together. Maybe that's what they were going for, but I think I'd like it more with a clearer mix.
6.5/10

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For You

I struggle a bit with DeFeis' vocals, I think they're too gruff for this style of music. Musically and lyrically this is quite inspired.
8.5/10

Dream Death - Back from the Dead

Iconic. Knew this'd be here.
9/10

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons

A bit of a mixed bag. Some pointless tech-thrash juking but also some killer riffs and a terrific vocal performance (love that Attila-ish groan he does at points.) I'd say the good outweighs the bad by a great margin.
9/10

Terror - Exiting the Grave

Has a metal song that started with a Korg synth intro ever not been amazing? Sick, underproduced banger with way more dynamic songwriting than I'm used to hearing in death/thrash metal, kinda reminds me of Poison (GER). Band logo is awesome too and reminds me I had a nightmare about giant spiders last night.
10/10

Forbidden - Through the Eyes of Glass

Not really into thrash so this is a complete blind spot for me, and I gotta say, I'd be more into thrash if more thrash sounded like this. Absolutely sick instrumental intro and nonstop amazing leads for 6 minutes without going into riff salad territory. It's got the kind of sprawling songwriting I adore "Rust in Peace" for and I gotta hear this full album ASAP. The YouTube is broken for me and abruptly stops playing around the 4 minute mark so I listened to the full song on spotify.
10/10

One of the least interesting songs on "Farseeing...", still pretty good.
7.5/10

Black Veil Brides - Born Again
arg/10

Pungent Stench - Happy Re-Birthday 8/10 pretty good stuff...i dig it. Smash a few beer cans on the head and ready to go. Strong start to what looks to be a killer playlist

Forsaken - Resurgam 7.5/10 when i saw the length of this i was a little worried. Actually time went by pretty quickly, enjoyed it more than i thought i would. Enjoyed it enough that it might warrant checking out more stuff from them.

Gorguts - With Their Flesh, He'll Create 9/10 never really listened to these guys, sure I've heard them but never payed attention but i am now.

Pagan Altar - Reincarnation 7/10 pretty good. A little long but definitely listenable

Dismember - Reborn in Blasphemy 7.5/10 quality stuff

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones 7/10 never heard of them, but not bad

Tomb Mold - Infinite Resurrection 8/10 oh yeah, me likey

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For you 6/10 heard other stuff from these guys that i liked better, was ok.

Dream Death - Back from the Dead 10/10 not much to say except I'm a fan

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons 9/10 don't like using words like underrated but these guys probably fit that mold. Maybe it's their name Disciples of Power :err:. But it's good shit

Terror - Exiting the Grave 9.5/10 intro...then the first chunky riff drops and i could tell my face was in trouble. Ripped right the fuck off and put in a drawer until later. Demo quality and its kind of shitty demo quality, but doesn't matter, so fucking good.

Forbidden - Through the Eyes of Glass 9/10 yeah another one I'm a fan of

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth 7.5/10 only thing i really know about these guys is their name gets mentioned a lot here. Pretty good.

Black Veil Brides - Born Again 2/10 oh man, music i guess

Pretty damn good playlist overall

Let's go! The only stench album l don't own on vinyl. Makes me very sad. Such a beautiful barbarianism to their classic sound/style. Grit. Groove. Glorious tunes! And Schirenc' solos are divine in a real fucked up melodic orgasm kinda way 10/10

Forsaken - Resurgam
Hey killer sound! Not so keen on the voice but whatever, it's not my band! Some typical predictable melodies but man l like the geetar throughout. Mix is not in favour of the poor dude at the back, but he'll live! Top notch if slightly buried solo. Yeah man this is cool. Love the leads in the second half! Just gets a little repetitive after 7 minutes or so. But l like it. Is this a Christian band? 8/10

Monstrous shift in playlist here folks - holy fuck! Yep right up my crevasse. Killer riff after killer riff after.. I thought this was such a huge leap from the more plodding (although wicked) debut. It came out and... geez Luc is writing these manic tunes all of a sudden? Still had the Gorguts originality 100% but here they were treading the path towards a new plain in extreme evil DM. 10/10

Too much has been spoken of the legend of this band and yet, seemingly not enough. That mix of 70's drums and pure forging onward riffage hits home perfectly. Great song-writing cannot be bought and here's why. Those riffs! 8/10

I had this on CD when it first came out and every year or so l go looking for it.. but l remember l don't own it anymore. Which sucks. Cause it's pretty killer. It never purged my soul like the debut did and they kinda went down hill in my eyes ever since but it would be nice to go down memory lane again and relive this era. The sound is beautiful. I mean that geetar tone is soo good but it just ain't what it used to be. Killer drum sound also. 8/10

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones
Super warm massive sound. Agreeable voice whilst not exactly unique. Oh not a fan of the chorus. It's defo a grower huh? Sounds like they are striving for a big hit with the chorus. That's their downfall folks. Keep it real kids and success will come naturally! Also the.. oh no sorry not for me 5/10 I am a fan of the sound and maybe they have earlier tunes l might dig but meh

I have to go against the DM grain here and say Tomb Mold have the best band name ever but they don't do a hell of a lot for me. On paper l should really like these guys. But I just have not heard it yet. You know how that works? Some band you should click with you instantly click with? Some band(s) it just doesn't happen.. Maybe my time will come with these guys. 6.5/10

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For you
YEEEooooWWW Whenever I'm scrounging around vinyl stores, charity shops, second-hand outlets etc l very rarely, but occasionally, see these guys and think, should l take a punt on this or what? And l never do! I always buy another Billy Cobham or RTF album. What a cock! This totally suits my must achieve something tonight what do l put on in the background vibe music. Ace. 8/10

Killer band. Killer album. Love to hear this with a Burns or Morris production just a few short years later. But yeah classic! 10/10

Haha not heard these guys before l don't think. Interesting uh, everything! - song, structure, vocals pretty fuckin cool. Yet Mad as a cut snake. And yes he totally is saying 'Steven!' Extra point for the wicked fill at 2:25 8.5/10

Wow this is fucking awesome! Sadus overtones punching through DM riffs galore!! What? They never got signed? Never released an album back then? As soon as l saw this playlist l though its Forbidden for the win all the way but.. holy fuck the solos! Absolute bliss 10/10

One of the contenders for the greatest thrash song of all time 10/10 And the solo slays anything on RIP.. in fact this songs entire geetar work slays all of RIP (why do people thinks that's the best thrash(it's hardly a thrash album) album anyway)

The Chasm represent for me that side of BM that just continually lingers between the major/minor until eternity. And then they do it again. I guess that sums up BM. This offers a lot more than just that of course and l would be interested to hear more but, am l just gonna hear this song like 7 more times on the same album? They obviously have a few more strings to their viola and their sound is really good but it's that riff at 0:25 that sums these bands up for me. And then it goes DM a bit. Fuck l don't know! I think I like it! 8/10

These guys video has more than quadruple the amount of views of all the other vids on the playlist combined. Which speaks volumes right? I ain't anti-populist or whatever but how do you grow up listening to rock/metal and then produce stuff like this?
They obviously connect with a crowd that l just don't understand, on an emotional level l just don't feel. It's not you Arg, it's me. It's not you, it's me.. ha! 5/10 I felt that! (not really)

Killer playlist! Thanks for Terror whoever did that!

i won’t deny they have some BM influence, but the chasm are and always have been a death metal band and are actually less repetitive and more ‘progressive’ than the average death metal generally speaking, albeit maybe not so much the later stuff like this which is a little more repetitive/ambient. sounds like you should try the earlier stuff like deathcult or w/e.

Reactions: Sirjack
8.5/10.
Fucking grimy and I love it

Forsaken - Resurgam
9/10.
Great underrated/underheard doom metal band.

6.5/10.
The breakdown was pretty cool. Otherwise kinda standard OSDM track. Maybe its just a weak track from the album. Havent heard it in a long time

8/10.
Classic PA. To be honest this feels a little thinner than it would normally be after the first 3 tracks.

Hey it's dismember. a bit vanilla. I should probably remember they're the reason that sound IS vanilla.

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones
6/10.
This feels very repetitive and very thin on the metal compared to the rest of the playlist.

8/10.
I really like Tomb Mold this song is no exception. And no they arent "better" than Gorguts or Dismember or anything but I do like this song more than those selected.

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For you
9/10.
Classic Virgin Steele. They can be a bit hit or miss to put it lightly but this one is a home run for me. I was singing the chorus before it even started.

9.5/10.
Celtic Frosty madness. Dont need to say much else about this one.

7.5/10.
Good

8.5/10.
Never heard of these guys before. sick! Vocals a bit too loud in mix and drown the instruments but I suppose its a demo.

7.5/10.
Good classic thrash album.

5/10.
Lazy attempt to win by using a subpar song by The Chasm. I've got a shirt somewhere that says "This igneous rebirth........" on the back. Not my favorite shirt either.

0/10.
Did Seether or Hinder not have a song about rebirth?

i won’t deny they have some BM influence, but the chasm are and always have been a death metal band and are actually less repetitive and more ‘progressive’ than the average death metal generally speaking, albeit maybe not so much the later stuff like this which is a little more repetitive/ambient. sounds like you should try the earlier stuff like deathcult or w/e.

Ah ok you sold me wains, l will make it a mission to listen to their earlier releases. I remember 5,6,7, years ago folks suggesting Deathcult and I'm pretty sure l listened to a couple of albums and may have even looked into buying vinyl then going.. 'how much?' Although Deathcult has never had a vinyl press? They are super Cvlt yeah? Also, what's w/e?

w/e = whatever

i dunno how cult the chasm are these days, they've gradually become quite big over the years. deathcult got a remaster not too long ago so i'd assume it's more available these days, i'm not a vinyl guy though lol. i actually think procession to the infraworld might be the place to start for you as it's their most to-the-point and straight up death metally.

Reactions: Sirjack
Wow arg/10 must mean 10/10 because arg=perfect specimen of a man

Reactions: CiG
Pungent Stench - Happy Re-Birthday 5/10 nothing special, predictable, most of the riffs don't do much for me. reminds me of bad Pantera songs somehow

Forsaken - Resurgam 7/10 respectable clean vocals. I'm reminded of Jag Panzer but not overly operatic. Guitar could use less direct repetition; it's supporting the vocals, but at least change up the fills. Docked for being too long for its own good

Gorguts - With Their Flesh, He'll Create 8/10 just not a fan of their vocalist most of the time. He has his moments but I only like about 25% of his vocal lines. Great Death-esque guitar riffs. Solid drumming.

Pagan Altar - Reincarnation 6/10 I thought I'd like this a lot more from the intro, but it just kind of drags and stays in too flowery of a place. It's too soft for metal imo, just slow wannabe 70's prog rock or something. Vocalist is pretty bad.

Dismember - Reborn in Blasphemy 7.2/10 straightforward OSDM, it's alright but not up there with the greats. Some of the guitar riffs fall flat. Dig the thrash drumming on this tho

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones 7.7/10 I don't like the production on the vocals or the too-clean guitars. But it's catchy and has a well put together song structure. It's listenable power metal which is hard to find for me so bonus point for that. I'd check out more by them, maybe their older stuff is more to taste?

Tomb Mold - Infinite Resurrection 5.5/10 If there's an instrumental version of this i might give it +3 points. The constant pig grunting honestly just ruins the music, it'd be better off without them. it contributes nothing in this case not even good vocal phrasing or interesting rhythms. it's just grunt grunt grunt grunt gruuuuunt, repeat. Shame because some of the guitar riffs are super slick.

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For you 7.5/10 not a fan of the style out of the gates it reminded me too much of Maiden or something. It starts to get more progressive towards the middle and so I started adding points, but then subtracting them for some of the vocals. It's pretty much ABA form, didn't like how it finished either. There's interest here but it just doesn't satisfy that prog metal itch.

Dream Death - Back from the Dead 8.5/10 I've low key liked these guys and this album in particular for years. Don't play it often enough. May have to change that, this is sick.

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons 9.5/10 This album is close to the pinnacle of 80's technical extreme metal. it's just one massive ear worm of technical thrash/death goodness. Great guitar riffs, bass riffs, drumming and an absolute maniac on the mic. Underappreciated album.

Terror - Exiting the Grave 7.8/10 Good suspense building in the intro. "all good rock n roll speeds up". The vocals aren't doing it for me though, sounds like straight vomiting at times. I'd go see this band open for some other bands and probably enjoy it somewhat live because of the relentless beat and the guitarist.

Forbidden - Through the Eyes of Glass 9/10 I have this album laying around somewhere. Classic speed/thrash. What keeps me from listening to it more often is the vocals, they sound overly clean and follow the guitar riff rather than adding a counter point to it too much at times. Otherwise excellent stuff, I'd go see them for fun.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth 6.5/10 depressed chugga chugga. The drums are fun, the guitars are playing around with those spacey higher pitched chords like Vektor, but even though it's fast the whole thing sounds slow and sad. Too much tremolo, staying on one drone too long. Vocals don't add interest they just sort of blend into the background. I might have liked it more years ago but nah.

Black Veil Brides - Born Again 4.7/10 ok going to try to be objective here and just ignore the video. The production is annoying radio friendly garbo. It's overly poppy. There's some parts of it that sounds ok in the guitars like Avenged Sevenfold stuff. The "ohhh waahh ohh" made me knock it down an extra point. Just not a fan, but arg could've done a lot worse i guess.

Pungent Stench- Happy Re-birthday - 9/10
Never listened to this band before. I find the album cover off-putting, but the music is great! :kickass:

Forsaken - Resurgam - 7/10

Gorguts - With Their Flesh, He'll Create 8/10

Pagan Altar - Reincarnation 5/10
I don't understand the appeal of this band. Not a fan of the vocals and the music doesn't do anything for me either.

Dismember - Reborn in Blasphemy 8/10

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones 7/10

Tomb Mold - Infinite Resurrection - 8/10

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For You 7/10
Never listened to this band before and another day and another time I might right it higher. Going through the playlist I find myself comparing the songs to the previous song.

Dream Death - Back From the Dead - 10/10
Great song from a great album.

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons 9/10
Another one I have never heard before but I like it and will look for more of their albums! :kickass:

Terror - Exiting the Grave 7/10
I like the music more than the vocals. :lol: at the comments on youtube.

Forbidden - Through Eyes of Glass 9/10
:headbang: Russ Anderson is one of the best vocalists in thrash.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth 8/10

Black Veil Brides - Born Again 3/10

Not my jam.