Themed Mixtape Game Mk. 2

Why? How many other bands were playing occultish doom in the late 70s?

Because there's no evidence whatsoever that anybody ever heard the band until the 1998 bootleg of their 1982 demo.

I don't subscribe to the theory that their backstory is fabricated (sup HBB) but has a copy of the original demo ever resurfaced for sale? Any 70's or 80's interviews in a magazine? Any merch documented from that era? They seem to have been a total musical nonentity until the 1998 bootleg.

Pagan Altar is an overrated internet sensation.

Calm down religitard.

Last edited:
Because there's no evidence whatsoever that anybody ever heard the band until the 1998 bootleg of their 1982 demo.
1994/1995 bootlegs actually, presumably sourced from a tiny bit of tape trading that was going on in the years before that. But yeah, fuck all people heard them until the 1998 release which seems to be official.

Reactions: CiG
all this other shit aside c_e is correct that pagan altar are a lot more metal than wytch hazel (who are not), i accept the PA song in this mixtape is borderline though.

I don't subscribe to the theory that their backstory is fabricated (sup HBB) but has a copy of the original demo ever resurfaced for sale? Any 70's or 80's interviews in a magazine? Any merch documented from that era? They seem to have been a total musical nonentity until the 1998 bootleg.

Ah ok fair enough, I wasnt really trying to suggest they were influential at the time, I probably misused the word formative, i guess i was after something more like nascent

Reactions: CiG
The Conjuration of the Spectral Twats...
The Chasm
The Chasm
The Chasm
the chasm
zTOtk8x.jpg

Pungent Stench - Happy Re-Birthday - 6/10

Overall sound is kind of thin and weak. I enjoyed the moments where they groove for a bit but that's all. Hollenthon seems like the better Shirenc project to me.

Forsaken - Resurgam - 9/10

I dig Forsaken. This is great epic doom that doesn't slacken despite the song length. I need to spend more time with this album as I mostly listen to "After the Fall."

Gorguts - With Their Flesh, He'll Create - 8/10

Good stuff.

Pagan Altar - Reincarnation - 4/10

Long jam band-y track with poor vocals that isn't very heavy or interesting.

Dismember - Reborn in Blasphemy - 6/10

Eh, it's OK. Vocals are too shouty and outside of the opening and the lead at the end the music doesn't do much for me.

Wytch Hazel - Dry Bones - 10/10

Great songwriting and melodies.

Tomb Mold - Infinite Resurrection - 10/10

I thought this would just be some gurgle blast stuff from the logo and some comments but this is kick ass old school style DM.

Virgin Steele - I Will Come For You - 5/10

Eesh that middle section.

Dream Death - Back from the Dead - 5.5/10

OK sounding Thrash. Too long.

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons - 6.5/10

A little better.

Terror - Exiting the Grave - 6/10

See Dream Death.

Forbidden - Through the Eyes of Glass - 7/10

Pretty good. Appreciate the leads.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth - 7/10

More death metally than some of their other stuff I've heard.

Black Veil Brides - Born Again 1/10

Speaking of non-metal...