Themed Mixtape Game Mk. 2

@Baroque has risen from the dead it seems! Come forward, mate!

Cover blown! Plan was to be like "who submitted that song? no it couldn't be, he hasn't been here in ages". But yeah, still alive and lurking about this graveyard. I was very active here through 2 rounds of grad school and a string of bad relationships. These days my life is more like Black Sabbath - Sabbra Cadabra and doing alright in life. I still regard Metal (and Baroque) as apex genres, but mostly stick to classics lately, stuff like Ozzy's Boneyard on Sirius XM, and no more modern metal feeding frenzy.

I'll publish the playlist tomorrow morning (~10 hours from now) so if there are any last minute submissions, make sure to get them in now.

The mixtape is done and presented for your judgment. Please rate it in a time-ly fashion.

TIME

the-persistence-of-memory-1931.jpg!Large.jpg

Havok - Time is Up
Griffin - Traveling in Time
Godflesh - New Dark Ages
Atrox - Letters to Earth
Obliveon - Chronocraze
Void Moon - Realm of Indigo
Destroyer 666 - Trialed by Fire
Atheist - Piece of Time
Trivium - Of All These Yesterdays
Catacomb - The Key
Mortification - Ancient Prophecy
Primordial - Stolen Years
Danzig - End of Time

Link to playlist

Havok - Time is Up

Some cool riffs and shit just felt safe, predictable... kept hoping it'd erupt into rage and intensity. Maybe I've been listening to too much death/thrash 6/10

Good stuff, always liked this guy's vocals a lot. Wish the band would veer into unhinged territory more though, it'd suit his style 7/10

Godflesh - New Dark Ages

Way the fuck out of my wheelhouse. Not bad though 6/10

Atrox - Letters to Earth

Banshee's vocals kill me. Can't even begin to understand the appeal. Don't mind the music but that woman can fuck right off 2/10

Obliveon - Chronocraze

Classic 10/10

Liked this. Good build up. Guitarist is great. Will check it out 8/10

Destroyer 666 - Trialed By Fire

D666 epics always deliver. Potent band at their peak. The world that we are looking for/the world of which we speak/well, it isn't coming soon! 9/10

Atheist - Piece of Time

Too long since I last listened to this. Another classic 9/10

"You know I hate faggots!" - Alf Stewart 2/10

Catacomb - Enter The Castle Of Great Entities/The Key

Listened to the Dark Symphonies comp this is on a few days back - really good stuff 8/10

Mortification - Ancient Prophesy

Not sure I've heard this before. General sound is good, mid-paced sections were good, song structure less so and length is unnecessary 6/10

I never really got Primordial back when they were hyped but this wasn't bad 7/10

Danzig - End of Time

First song by Danzig I've heard that isn't Mother. Enjoyed it enough that I'll check the album out 8/10

What a great fucking playlist to revive this game! You guys need to find songs that are more explicitly on topic, though. I cannot be so lenient with your choices as to approve all of them as being on topic.

Havok - Time is Up 7/10
Good and solid shit. 7/10

Griffin - Traveling in Time 8/10
I liked it a lot, very good heavy metal tune. Beautiful solo. 8/10

Godflesh - New Dark Ages 7.5/10
One of the better modern Godflesh track 7.5/10

Atrox - Letters to Earth 3/10
Didn't quite like the vocals, the music was okay I guess 3/10. Easily the weakest song on the playlist.

Obliveon - Chronocraze 8/10
Obliveon is king 8/10

Void Moon - Realm of Indigo 9/10
Really like the ending, beautiful track, need to check this band out

Destroyer 666 - Trialed by Fire 9.5/10
A classic of classics, it's even better live! Probably the most dramatic D666 songsever. 9.5/10

Atheist - Piece of Time 10/10
What a fucking classic! Perfect lyrics.

Trivium - Of All These Yesterdays 5/10
I am a big fan of Trivium, but it's not their best song. Who could've possibly submitted this, hm? It's not really relevant taking into consideration our topic. 5/10

Catacomb - The Key 9/10
Fucking hell, man! This is genius. That fucking intro and that guitar masturbation seconds into The Key... Omg, I haven't heard such good DM in years! I feel 16 again listening to this fucking track. It's a pity I have to deduct a point cause it's about Yog Sothoth, a Lovecraftian monster.

Mortification - Ancient Prophecy 5/10
This is cool, overlong of course, and I'm not sure it's entirely on topic. There's a lot of things going on in the lyrics and it has biblical references. Its main theme is definitely not "time". I deduct 2 points for that. 5/10

One of the mellower Primordial tracks from their recent LP - a great choice. A lot of feels in this track. 9/10

Danzig - End of Time
This is good, I'm not a Danzig fan whatsoever, but I like the dramatic tone of this song. Not sure if this is on topic as well tho. 7/10

Last edited:
Havok - Time is Up 7/10

Nice start to the list

Griffin - Traveling in Time 9.5/10

Metal perfection

Godflesh - New Dark Ages 7/10

Not really my thing....but still pretty good for what is. Used to own a couple of their albums.

Atrox - Letters to Earth 5/10

Went back and listened to this one again after i finished the list. Hear some stuff i like but really can't get into it. Maybe will check out a few different songs from the band to see if I'm missing anything.

Obliveon - Chronocraze 9/10

Awesome

Void Moon - Realm of Indigo 7.5/10

Yeah never heard of these guys but it was pretty good

Destroyer 666 - Trialed by Fire 7/10

Familiar with the name, but never actually gave them a proper listen. Not bad

Atheist - Piece of Time 10/10

Perfection of theme and music

Trivium - Of All These Yesterdays 3/10

Made me want to go to the mall

Catacomb - The Key 9/10

Been a while since I've listened to this, obviously been too long. Awesome

Mortification - Ancient Prophecy 8.5/10

Yeah it's long but I'm a fan

Primordial - Stolen Years 6/10

Ok

Danzig - End of Time 9/10

Good album. Didn't think something like this would make the list. Also works as a good closer the list.

Good to see the mixtape game back!

Havok - Time is Up
Decent Thrash Metal song, but nothing I would return to listen to. Lyrics are also a bit repetitive and only slightly scratch the subject of this round. 6/10

Compared to the songs on their second album, which I'm familiar with and do like (even though I haven't listened to it for a very long time), I find this song rather average and disappointing. The most enjoyable part was the guitar solo. 5,5/10

Godflesh - New Dark Ages
I actually liked this better than I had expected, since Industrial Metal doesn't rank among my favourite metal subgenres. Somehow it reminded me a bit of Voivod's album "Negatron". Since "Eternity" is the only time-related word in the lyrics, I deduct one point and rate the song 6,5/10

Atrox - Letters to Earth
Some of the most unusual and playful vocals lines ever on a metal album and I absolutely love them (most likely because they remind me of Kate Bush's most experimental vocal work on my favourite album "The Dreaming" mixed with some oriental influences) as well as the surrealistic little story about time and the music - lightyears away from any other metal band I know. Instead of the 5000th Nightwish-clone (I do like Nightwish, but don't care about the clones), I'd rather like to hear another metal band with a vocalist like this one, but that is very unlikely to happen. For me, this is a definite 10/10

Obliveon - Chronocraze
Very enjoyable in each and every regard! Since the lyrics fit the topic very well, I'll rate this 9,5/10

Pleasant song with some beautiful guitar soloing and on-topic lyrics. 8/10

Destroyer 666 - Trialed by Fire
While the music wasn't bad, the vocals are not my cup of tea and the lyrics only slightly scratch the subject. 3/10

Atheist - Piece of Time
Music-wise, this is highly enjoyable. The vocals are in a kind of twilight zone for me. Sometimes the line between what I can still find acceptable and what I don't like can be very narrow. In this specific case, also in connection with the music, I'll go for "on the verge of not liking it, but still acceptable" and rate this 8,5/10

Considering that they are (also) labeled Metalcore, the vocals still sounded surprisingly moderate to me (most of the time). The song itself wasn't actually bad, either. However, simply using the word "yesterdays" several times doesn't make this a song about time. Therefore I rate it 5/10

Catacomb - The Key
While I do like the music and the lyrics are on topic, the vocals - unsurprisingly - just go on my nerves. 2/10

Mortification - Ancient Prophecy
Parts of the music aren't that bad, but in addition to the fact that I don't like blast beats and that the lyrics were not on topic, the vocals were simply unbearable. Even though I knew it wouldn't get any better after the first time the vocals set it, I actually listened to the entire song. 1/10

Music and vocals are OK, but nothing to write home about. Goes in one ear and out the other. Lyrics are very short, but at least the first part seems to be on topic. 5/10

Danzig - End of Time
See: Primordial. The mere phrase "end of time" doesn't save this song from bein off-topic in my book. Therefore: 4/10

Some of y'all are really anal about the theme :lol: or at are least interpreting it in a very narrow way and inconsistently across songs.

The Mortification song is literally about past, present, and future. It's about the fulfillment of ancient prophecies hundreds of years later at a specific point in time, the ramifications of current choices, and the eschatological significance of those events and choices across centuries. That seems quite past the threshold mentioned earlier in the thread where it was said that the song doesn't even need to mention the word "time." But we're knocking off points for theme? Wtf?

"Behold the ancient scripture brought forth a prophecy
Revealed in the testament of old for all mankind to see
The prophet Isaiah foretold long ago
the coming of a man who would heal their land
Torment and pain gripped the land
Desperation of release grew strong
The prophet saw the time was near
Impending deliverance for which they longed
Bloodied crucifixion would bring forth redemption
Ancient writings formed on parchment
conceived beyond the realm of time
Fulfillment yet to be achieved
Time unfolds to reveal completion
Blood justification - Spiritual completion

This Blood spraying from a mass of twisted flesh
Brings forth redemption to partake you must receive
Do it now before you die or pay the price
Make a step toward God or be destroyed."

Not taking off points for theme.

Havok - Time is Up 6/10

I've heard about this band so I'm glad to hear something from them. It's all very competent and even good in places but a lot of Thrash (especially newer stuff) doesn't excite me. Just not something I would come back to much if at all.

Griffin - Traveling in Time 6.5/10

This is OK, but not doing much for me. I tend to not care about this style much. The vocals don't do it for me, though the guitar work (especially lead) is really good. Song is a little all over the place.

Godflesh - New Dark Ages 1/10

Industrial can go to hell and die.

@EspaDa You really docked Mortification two points on theme but not this four line gem about nothing? :lol:

"Look at me I'm wailing over weird, pretentious music." At least there's a few decent guitar parts and the lyrics are kind of interesting. Vocals remind me of this Iranian bint from Niyaz but a lot less good.

Obliveon - Chronocraze 8/10

Most interesting song thus far. I've been meaning to look into this band.

Void Moon - Realm of Indigo 7/10

I thought this was just gonna be that new Doom Metal that doesn't have riffs and just cries about stuff but the second half was better. Nice solo.

Destroyer 666 - Trialed By Fire 10/10

Epic song is epic.

Atheist - Piece of Time 7/10

I like the later stuff better but it's good. Sounds like a thrashier Death.

Trivium - Of All These Yesterdays 1/10

This is an abomination.

Catacomb - The Key 8/10

The keyboard intro is pretty meh (though I guess that's supposed to be a separate song). It gets pretty interesting after that. A little Demigod-esque sound.

Mortification - Ancient Prophesy 10/10

Total crusher. That main riff is an absolute headbanger and I love the faster parts for a change of pace before getting crushed again. Steve Rowe's vocals here are Death Metal perfection.

Primordial - Stolen Years 5/10

Always been kind of on the fence about this band. If this song is indicative of the newer stuff I'm not interested. Sounds a lot like the mopy new Doom I have no interest in.

Danzig - End of Time 7.5/10

Glenn Danzig has a cool voice. It's a catchy rock song. Would rather listen to Type O Negative.

"Look at me I'm wailing over weird, pretentious music." At least there's a few decent guitar parts and the lyrics are kind of interesting.

You hit the nail on the head so fucking perfect you nearly sent it into another dimension.

Reactions: SonOfNun