Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire
King Diamond - Burn
Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone

Last edited:
Amon Amarth - Death in Fire - 7/10

Satan's Host - Hell Fire - 5/10
Don't care for the vocals.

Immortalis - Burning Existence 8/10
Like the intensity of the riffs not sure about the vocals.

Love Bites - Set the World on Fire - 8/10
Not crazy about those vocals which is shame because I like the riffs and solos!:kickass:

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire - 6/10

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of the Torches 8/10

Force of Darkness - Whore of the Untamed Flame 6/10

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star - 7/10

Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire - 8/10
First time hearing this band and I will be looking for their full length albums.

King Diamond - Burn - 9/10

Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone -10/10
One of my top albums from 2013. I remember seeing them tour in support of this album and they put on a great show. Anyone know if they are still together? Their last album was a turd and I haven't seen them post anything on social media in a long time.

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire 8/10 i like these guys.....kind of. Good track off what is probably their best album imo. On theme and a pretty good album opener and playlist opener.

Satan’s Host - Hell Fire 7/10 not familiar with these guys, maybe gave them a listen before....can't remember. Wasn't really feeling until it slowed down, found it much more enjoyable from that point. almost like 2 different songs thrown together here.

Immortalis - Burning Existence 9/10 from the cover art thought it would be something more like black metal. Killer shit! Some keyboards, some chanting....all works somehow. Awesome!

Lovebites - Set the World on Fire 4.5/10 no doubt these chicks can play....just wished they played something i liked

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire 3/10 just can't get into something like this...no matter how hard i try....just can't get into it

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of Torches 6/10 this was just kind of there. Didn't hate it, thought it would've been better if they did something different or took a different approach to the vocals. some epic sounding stuff, but stayed kind of boring

Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame 5/10 it's oookkkk, not something i would seek out

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star 7/10 not bad! Don't usually play this kind of stuff, but i can dig it from time to time

Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire 10/10 classic stuff! Big fan

King Diamond - Burn 9/10 fan of king diamond, usually have to be in a certain mood or whatever when i listen to his albums....but yeah good shit

Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone 7/10 has a lot of elements i like. Not a band i would probably listen to regularly, but it's a pretty short track...works in its favor.

giphy.gif

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire 8/10

Their best fucking album hands down. Catchy devastation from start to finish! This song in particular was the only Amon Amarth I knew for a long time because the video clip was on the Monsters of Death DVD. Watched the shit out of it for years. The older I get the more I enjoy these guys. Production is so punchy, just the right amount of production value.

Satan’s Host - Hell Fire 9/10
I love the squealing bassy NWOBHM first half but I agree with RadThrasher it gets so fucking good in the slower second half, and then the build up into the final moments... just fucking amazing. This band is metal as fuck. Conklin is on fire (lol)!

The German death metal scene is super underrated and this is one of the scene's gems. The guitar tone is so huge! Just nonstop punishing retardedly heavy riffs, and that middle section where it slows down with the keyboards is somehow the highlight. It shouldn't work but it does. Gregor one of the guitarists went on to form Lacrima Christi, another killer German (prog) death metal band. Worth a listen!

Lovebites - Set the World on Fire 7/10
Pretty cool, reminds me of X Japan's more power metalish moments. Super duper high energy shit and it's cool to actually hear a woman in metal these days singing her balls off.

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire 0.5/10
This is what it sounds like when you misunderstand everything about heavy music and then try to make it.

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of Torches 8/10
Nerdy epic synth death doom with marching drums, spoken word parts and some of the most incredibly massive and engulfing vocals I've ever heard. I could imagine playing tabletop games with this jamming in the background.

Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame 7.5/10
Vicious venomous metal of death! Perfect drum sound.

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star 7.5/10
Ha! Wasn't expecting to hear some stoner metal in the playlist, and this is a band I never got around to hearing, even in my most stoner metal obsessed times. Works on every level for me, LOVE the drum sound. Gotta give the album a go!

Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire 9/10
Katrien de Lombaert fucking ruled man! Just Acid material under her belt unfortunately but what a roll. Her gruff style fits Acid so perfectly but she could've just as easily played in a pub rock band. She's like the Chrissy Amphlett of Belgian metal. What a smoky moody slow-burner! The band really gave her the spotlight with this one.
gwgw.jpg

King Diamond - Burn 7/10
An album that's a lot better than the impression you might get if you only heard this song. Awesome nonetheless.

Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone 6.5/10
Always found this band a little too stuffy and tight for my tastes. Also insanely dogshit album covers. It's death/thrash for guys who love wearing zip-up hoodies (if you know then you know). But that said, it does have elements I appreciate like the melodic riffing, the trad metal solos and the huge drum fills. Not really wild about the vocals. This album's production is also my favourite of all their stuff I've heard. Still has a good depth to it. Sounds a million times better than what I remember Beyond the Permafrost sounding like.

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire 6/10
Satan's Host - Hell Fire 6/10
Lovebites - Set the World on Fire 8/10
Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire 5/10
Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of the Torches 7/10
Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame 9/10
The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star 10/10
Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire 8/10
King Diamond - Burn 6/10
Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone 7/10

Goes without saying this is a terrible playlist since I didn’t submit.

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire

Brings back memories of seeing them playing this in front of about 20,000 heaving fans in Germany. Great live band. 8.5/10

Satan’s Host - Hell Fire

Coincidentally I have been spinning this album a bit lately. My conclusion is it’s pretty uneven and probably tries a bit too hard to be heavy, to the point of almost drowning out Conklin at times. This is one of the better songs though. 8/10

Immortalis - Burning Existence

I really want more interplay between the lead and rhythm guitars. Too much one-dimensional chugging. 5.5/10

Lovebites - Set the World on Fire

Was expecting this to be awful but these chicks have some real chops. Does the drummer actually have a cymbal in the shape of a star? 7.5/10

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire

Truly as bad as it gets. Thanks arg for stinking up my Youtube auto-recs again. 1/10

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of Torches

Sounds halfway between Shape of Despair and Caladan Brood. Really fucking cool. Youtube sound quality seems a bit crap but I couldn’t find it on Spotify either. 9/10

Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame

Picked this as South American within about 5 seconds of hearing it. Like the sound though none of the riffs are standout. 7/10

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star

Really not my thing. The groovy parts are horrid, the slower doomy parts are OK but nothing special. Vocalist sounds like the guy from Mastodon :erk: 4/10

Really like the vocalist but it’s a one-riff song that gets old fast. Borderline metalness too. I checked out a few of their faster songs on YT and liked them much more. 6/10

King Diamond - Burn

I’ve never been particularly grabbed by KD’s ‘solo’ stuff. This is pretty infectious though. The addition of the violin is cool. Don’t think I’ve ever listened to this album but need to remedy that. 8.5/10

Good energy; catchy riffs with tremolo sections that almost veer into Dissection territory. Vocalist sounds oddly like John Haughm. Not exactly original but enjoyable for what it is. 7.5/10

Last edited:
Amon Amarth - Death in Fire - 9
heavy, catchy, epic atmosphere... riffs kinda too flowy and vox too samey throughout... could use some start/stop chugs and pig squeals... still like it

Satan’s Host - Hell Fire - 4
this has no balls

Immortalis - Burning Existence - 9
old and unknown but it has a cool driving rhythm and enough variation, i approve

Lovebites - Set the World on Fire - 9
fuckin shredtastic love these ladies i have all their releases

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire - 10
brutal, groovy, evil atmosphere, and i want that fire dancing girl to blast a flaming fart in my face

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of Torches - 2
zoned out and had to open a new tab and watch 3 black cocks anal gangbang

Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame - 8
very hellish and oppressive, would benefit from some symphonics and clean vocals, can't deny it rips though

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star - 3
there's something about this kind of guitar tuning and vocal tone that annoys the shit out of me

Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire - 8
i imagine a middle aged hillbilly stripper with stretch marks in alabama poledancing to this

King Diamond - Burn - 7
was about to skip but it grew on me wow did not expect to find that ok

Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone - 9
hell yeah, this made me pelvic thrust in my chair, would have been better if it suddenly slowed down in the middle then gradually built up to a devastating breakdown accentuated by dissonant riffs and pinch harmonics, but hey it still gets top marks from me, osdm, melodeath, deathcore, blackened death, death thrash, tech death etc are all cousins with the same death metal grandaddy and i can appreciate the elements that make each subgenre unique

Was expecting this to be awful
Because of the thumbnail of the clip, right? If so, I guess the audioclip which just shows the album cover could have avoided such a negative expectation, but even though it's posted on their official channel, it seems to be regionally blocked in the US - at least Baroque told me it was "not available". I thought about submitting the offical live-videoclip instead (which would have been more fun to watch than just some random promo-pics and stills from different live-clips), but I wasn't sure if live-videoclips are allowed in this game, thus I had to go with this fan-made clip. Just in case you (and perhaps others who liked the studio version of this song) are curious enough to also check out the live performance, here you go:

If you should wonder about the rather static audience: the concert took place in March 2021 under strict covid restrictions. The capacity of the venue was reduced to 50%, cheering was forbidden and only clapping was allowed. (Fun fact: the song was written by the black-haird guitarist who was pregnant in her third or fourth month when playing this concert.)

but these chicks have some real chops. Does the drummer actually have a cymbal in the shape of a star?
She actually has three of them and she does spin them every once in a while , but they don't make any sound and are just there for the visual effect (and perhaps to entertain her, if she should get bored, though in case one of her drum sticks hasn't got anything to hit for a moment, she might just spin it in her hand).

Now for my ratings:

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire
The music isn't actually that bad, but the vocals are definitely not my cup of tea. 4.5/10

Satan’s Host - Hell Fire
Great bass-lines - more than once it seems like the bassist is busier than the guitarist! The vocalist immediately sounded familiar. Overall an interesting and quite enjoyable song with lots of changes. The guitar sound and the production are a bit tame and the bell sounds out of key - luckily it only chimes four times -, but these points are of minor importance and don't affect my rating. 8.5/10

Immortalis - Burning Existence
The organ-like part at 2:02 as well as the short clean background vocals at 3:38 sound completely random and don't fit with the rest of the song. Not that this matters much, because even if I didn't mind the vocals, I find this song so uninteresting that I wouldn't listen to it again (outside of this game). 3/10

Lovebites - Set the World on Fire
The last time I've enjoyed a Thrash Metal song (OK, the chorus is more Power Metal-ish) as much as this one (not counting "Break the Wall" and "The Hammer of Wrath") must have been somewhere in the eighties, possibly when I listend to Forbidden's "Through Eyes of Glass" and "Forbidden Evil". I love the intro, the riffing, the drumming - can there be a bigger contrast between the way she looks and the way she plays? - and I absolutely love the guitar solos (as well as the build-up towards them)! I also like the clean vocals very much (but am fully aware that they are not everyone's cup of tea here). The sound/production is also perfect for me. 10/10

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire
I'm tempted to say I find the sound of a vacuum cleaner less annoying. Constant screaming and growling of the most monotonous/uninspired kind combined with pointless drumming and riffing void of any sign of something resembling a melody. In German, I'd simply say "Wo rohe Kräfte sinnlos walten." - don't know about the proper English translation, but it goes into the direction of what CIG wrote. I think Deathcore is probably my overall least favourite music genre - the combination of music which totally goes on my nerves and vocals which do exactly the same. 0.5/10 (half a point for the first 6 seconds and the part from 2:06 to 2:13)

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of Torches
Outside of this game, I would have stopped this song after 45 seconds. The music itself is OK, but gets a bit boring over the entire length of the song. Was that out of key beeping sound in the background starting at around 4:32 and lasting for at least half a minute actually meant to be there or is it just a production flaw? It also seemed that the sound in some parts was unbalanced. Even without regard to these minor annoyances I don't rate this higher than 3.5/10

Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame
Vocals are for the most part still bearable for me. What annoys me most in this case are the nearly constant blast beats in the first part of the song. The song itself isn't that bad, though it gets somewhat repetitive. 5.5/10

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star
Nice beginning. I like the sound of the guitars. Looking up the genre description on M.A., I was a about to say that this is unusally fast for Doom Metal (though e.g. Candlemass also do have some faster songs), but then they slowed it down at 1:50 before returning back to the original tempo about two minutes later. That was actually fun to listen to. 8.5/10

One of the most moderate songs in this round. The vocalist sounds like a softer/tamer Doro. Even though there isn't that much happening in the song, I still liked it. 7/10

King Diamond - Burn
The second most enjoyable song for me in this round! Even though it's also one of the shortest, there's quite a lot happening and it all fits together very well. I especially like the guitar (solo) work. 9/10

Even though I'm not too fond of the vocals, they don't prevent my from enjoying the song. 8/10