Themed Mixtape Game Mk. 2

Was that out of key beeping sound in the background starting at around 4:32 and lasting for at least half a minute actually meant to be there or is it just a production flaw?
I dunno about beeps, but there are some mp3-like glitches/stutters in the upload. Guess whoever submitted it didn't listen to the whole thing. When I listened to it a 2nd time I did so via the album upload instead.

SecondRadiantIndigobunting-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: CiG
Amon Amarth - Death in Fire
Solid opener from my favorite era of Amon Amarth.
8/10

Satan's Host - Hell Fire

In a vacuum, this is a 10/10 masterpiece with a singular, spine-chilling vocal performance but I gotta ask... is this really thematic? Seems to be about a faction calling itself Hell Fire without much relation to actual fire.
7/10

Immortalis - Burning Existence

Satanic black magic! Sick shit.
9/10

Lovebites - Set the World on Fire

Don't get why people are being so generous to this, like ok it's not a mockery of metal like your usual arg pick but it's hard to find a riff or melody here that isn't completely stock.
4/10

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire

Wtf is this shit, we already had one arg pick :(
1/10

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of the Torches

My favorite genres are metal and SNES JRPG soundtracks, so I'll forgive any amount of jank if your music sounds like those two genres thrown in a blender. What the fuck is this stupid droning sound around the 52 minute mark? Oh yeah I'm using the full album youtube because the one in the playlist sounds like ass.
9/10

Force of Darkness - Whore of the Untamed Flame
Great frantic riffing and drumming, not a fan of this barking vocal style.
7.5/10

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star
This is cool, seems pretty dynamic for stoner metal.
7/10

Acid - Prince of Hell and Fire

Incredible vocal performance, wish the rest of the band would do something other than play that same verse riff again and again. Also dubiously thematic since the fire just features in an epithet.
6/10

King Diamond - Burn

Can barely get into classic MF, don't need more King Diamond in my life really.
6/10

Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone

Cool thrash/meloblack mix. Love that tremolo riff before the verses. Verses not so much. Huh, it's over already?
7/10

Thought this was top notch back when it came out, dunno how I'd feel if nostalgia was removed. Decent anyway, still prefer the debut by miles 6.5/10

Satan's Host - Hell Fire

Conklin's an untamed wild beast, weird thin production somehow works, makes everything more sinister and unsettling... yeah one of the strangest trad albums I've ever heard. Never really got into it but I've always liked it 8/10

Haven't heard this in at least 15 years. Even back in the mid 2000s this was a tough one to find on CD. Shit rules though, need to pick up the recent reissue 9/10

Better than I expected, some cool riffs and impressive musicianship, but not something I'd go out of my way to listen to 6.5/10

Chelsea Grin - Playing With Fire

Get the fuck outta here 1/10

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of the Torches

Probably need to be in a certain mood or have the whole album available to appreciate this properly. Not bad though 7/10

Force of Darkness - Whore of the Untamed Flame

Manic bestial black/thrash shit with actual riffs, best band playing this style in the last 15 years 9/10

The House of Capricorn

Oh an NZ sludge band... yeah not for me but I don't dislike it 6/10

I've been meaning to check these guys out for years, never got around to it. This is great, right up my alley. Reminds me a bit of the slower, heavier tracks from Exciter's Violence and Force 8.5/10

King Diamond - Burn

Love classic MF, never really got into King's solo stuff 6/10

Skeletonwitch - Burned From Bone

I need more ferocity and violence from black/death/thrash amalgamations, this is a bit too clean and nice. Not awful or anything, not something I'm at all interested in either 6.5/10

Last edited:
to be fair this has been open way less time than usual!

i've heard multiple albums, seen them live multiple times and i still don't remember a single song or riff, just blurs together. pretty samey heavyhanded version of a sound that doesn't tend to interest me in the first place. 4/10

Satan’s Host - Hell Fire
a little too chaotic and thrown together but the slow mid-section is one of the most intense and emotionally searing in all of music, just slays me man. under our spellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, a scream that could conjure the darkest magicks. don't really care if it's thematic as i'm not that interested in the theme taken literally, i originally submitted WG's 'burning a sinner' (with an alt of necrophobic's 'where sinners burn' just to be cute) but decided this would be more interesting. 9/10

it's weird, back in the mid-'00s it felt like a lot of old school germanic DM was getting drooled over and these days hardly any of those bands get talked about even though some of them kick ass. this isn't top tier or anything, riffage is a little uninspired to me and it feels a bit methodical for what it's going for. vocals are enjoyably nutty though and i love the chanting part, there's enough weirdness here to differentiate it. 6.5/10

doesn't really leave a big impression but definitely better than i'd expect from the overall aesthetic. 5/10

Chelsea Grin - Playing with Fire

art in its purest form. sorry, did i say art? i meant arg. 1/10

Mythological Cold Towers - Contemplating the Brandish of Torches

i find this pretty stock as well, and i'm very picky with this kind of thing in general. outside of stormcrowfleet and dol guldur and oneiricon there isn't much metal i really like with this speed and vibe. 5.5/10

Force of Darkness - Whore of Untamed Flame

reminds me of a tune from evil invaders except made chilean as fuck. chilean is an exclusively positive descriptor. doesn't stand out to me though. 6.5/10

The House of Capricorn - A Candle for the Morning Star

the sound is satisfying enough that it ameliorates my stoner groove allergy somewhat. 5.5/10

just enough sinister cool to get away with how generic it is. only just though. 6/10

King Diamond - Burn

some good stuff in here, the devil and his violin is just pure retarded showmanship and it rules, the actual solo's great and the chorus is weirdly earwormy. solo king tends to be kind of toothless and cheesy compared to the fate though, this is no exception. he also always cut 'n pasted too much even in the fate days, the messiness hurts my autism. 7/10

Skeletonwitch - Burned from Bone

was not expecting this to be my favourite song aside from mine, not that it had much competition to be honest. yeah they're probably pussy thrash but the melodies really stick and it doesn't outstay its welcome. 8/10

Pretty harsh ratings this time around :p I wanted to submit "Ghosts of Monongah" but I already used it in one of the best-of-year mixtapes so I was down to my third choice. Hope we can get a theme that hasn't been done before next round.