Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

Dreadful said:
Personally, i think the opeth fans in this forum are pretty good. Such a wellrounded fanbase here, because the musical tastes differ from the other forums on ultimate metal. I think the opeth fans here are also much more mature than some of the regulars in the arch enemy or bodom forums.

Yea i was shocked to find out that Jaykeegan was underage (Atleast i think it was jaykeegan as someone was commented on All Ages concerts) The moral of the story is. Some UM forums sound like the general populace is represented by pre-pubescent teen angst filled kids. While this forum is more often than not, friendly with discussion and overall banter.

LordHypnos said:
i will explain it to you through a single occurance involving your beloved opeth fans. i have posted this here once before, but it looks i must do it again...

los angeles house of blues - damnation tour

Mikael - "People in sweden call us the scorpions of sweden."

Crowd - "BOOOOOO!!!! SCORPIONS SUCK!!!"

Mikael - "But i like the scorpions, so i dont mind that label."

Crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

it was that exact moment that i really took a look at the fanboys i often mocked, but now it was something else. The band has created a monster of stupidity/ignorance/close mindedness and overall retardation. Even though i enjoy Opeth's music, i wont call myself an opeth fan any longer.

I think you took this event too seriously.
It was a very natural reaction of the fans to boo in that context and so was their cheering after Mikael remarks.

frycus said:
This fanboy insult is getting really tedious.

It's so sad that people must insult others to feel better about themselves.

I agree with you there. I've been insulted several times and atleast once in this thread already. I don't care that much about it, but if I'm just going to get insulted all the time for expressing an opinion then this forum is useless. If someone is going to disagree with me it is more productive to explain why then to be flat out rude. Some of us out there must get off on belittling others to show off just how much more metal and intelligent they are than the rest of us?

To some people, 10+ minute songs are pretentious. The fact that the songs aren't written so long on purpose seems to escape their grasp of comprehension.

And most, not all, but most Tool fans deserve every ounce of despise for their idiotic fanboy-ism. Believe it or not, Maynard is not God.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Yea i was shocked to find out that Jaykeegan was underage (Atleast i think it was jaykeegan as someone was commented on All Ages concerts) The moral of the story is. Some UM forums sound like the general populace is represented by pre-pubescent teen angst filled kids. While this forum is more often than not, friendly with discussion and overall banter.

Huh? what's this about me :confused:

AllWithinMyMonster said:
If anyone deserves a "Bad Rap" it's opeth haters. Look at the blatant ignorance in this post.... http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4746

How the fuck are opeth pretensious?
that was actually quite a funny thread. And cool to read. As far as I'm concerned, being an artist gives you license to be pretentious, if being pretentious is defined as exploring your chosen art to its limit and portraying it however the fuck you want.

The rest is left to the critics.

A good definition of art would also be handy at this time. Anyone?

anonymousnick2001 said:
To some people, 10+ minute songs are pretentious. The fact that the songs aren't written so long on purpose seems to escape their grasp of comprehension.

And most, not all, but most Tool fans deserve every ounce of despise for their idiotic fanboy-ism. Believe it or not, Maynard is not God.

I agree. About 98,9% of Tool fans are not very self-sufficient when it comes to their musical taste. And yes, ive experienced it a lot.

Anonymous hit the nail on the head on both counts. Tool fanboys are quite annoying indeed.

Jaykeegan I was merely stating that I was surprised you're underaged due to the fact that your posts are very mature of nature.

I can't imagine any of opeth's 10min+ classics being compressed in size and still having the same effect and beauty.

I like tool's music aswell. But I don't consider myself a fan of a band if I have no respect for the members in said band. Sorry but a guy who sings while wearing a dress just doesn't appeal to me. Flame Away.

J. said:
Yes, but just look at Porcupine Tree and Camel.

Before Blackwater Park was released, almost no Opeth fan knew who the hell PT were. I'm sure there were a few, but nothing like all the PT fanboys these days. Anyway, BWP is released, and Steve Wilson did the duet in Bleak, and what happens? All the Opeth fans begin drooling over PT simply because Wilson produced the album and he has one little duet.

About Camel, Mikael simply says that Camel influenced Opeth. What happens? All the fanboys go out and get Camel albums, and then there are numerous Camel threads in this forum.

Sheep....
That is the single dumbest thing I've *EVER* read in my 4 years reading internet music forums.

wow

First of all you have to understand that a TON of newer Opeth fans came from the PROG community and not the metal community. I was one of these people. I was a fan of PT long before I'd even heard of Opeth.

As Opeth's music evolved and became more popular, many prog fans were introduced to it (including myself) and became fans. Many PT fans were also introduced to the music through SW's work with Opeth.

Like many others, one of the first non commercial bands I got into was Dream Theater. Through their drummer Mike Portnoy's website I was turned onto other prog bands (THAT MP LIKED AND RECOMMENDED ON HIS SITE, as well as other fans) such as Spock's Beard. I did not like all of them, but many I did.

Am I a sheep because I ended up liking a band that an artist "recommended" to me? Is it wrong for me to like them simply because MP likes them?

There is so much great music out there that many people have never heard of, who cares where you hear about it?

Camel and PT are two incredible bands (again I'd heard of both long before Opeth), so what the hell is wrong with them getting more exposure? OF course, it is more COOL and TROO to find some obscure band on your own then talk shit about people who listen to a band that more than 19 people have heard of.

Perhaps many Opeth fans really enjoyed what Wilson did with Opeth? Could that be the reason they want to see what his own band is like? How shocking.

Get over yourself, you are not better than everyone else here. Who gives a shit what and why people like the music they do. Go play outside.

Sheep... God I hate that word. Yeah I checked out a band someone else liked, and liked it myself. Holy crap I must be a sheep. There is no way I would have liked it if BON JOVI hadn't mentioned them first.

buchkoba00 said:
Perhaps many Opeth fans really enjoyed what Wilson did with Opeth? Could that be the reason they want to see what his own band is like? How shocking.

Get over yourself, you are not better than everyone else here. Who gives a shit what and why people like the music they do. Go play outside.

Sheep... God I hate that word. Yeah I checked out a band someone else liked, and liked it myself. Holy crap I must be a sheep. There is no way I would have liked it if BON JOVI hadn't mentioned them first.

:worship: :worship:

buchkoba00 said:
That is the single dumbest thing I've *EVER* read in my 4 years reading internet music forums.
Go back and read your post, and hopefully you'll realize you know shit. If you do realize it, let me know and I'll congratulate you.