Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

Opeth is like T00L.
Fans who love them, hold them close....others just enjoy the music.
However so many people feel the need to impose their favorite band as the greatest band ever. Be that as it may, this produces a righteousness for other fans to go out and do the same, thus yielding fucking idiots as fans of these bands. Some Opeth fans, like T00L fans, are stupid as hell...and it makes those who love the band look bad because they are also fans.
Opeth is mainstream now....I don't care how anyone puts it.
They are mainstream, but their popularity isn't mainstream.
The difference being....people know about them, but not many people really LOVE them.
Most of this is just rambling, but in one of my school's sporting events, someone put on BWP for their pre-game warmups on the PA system...
Anyways....Opeth is the pop band of the "death metal" world. As much as I love them, that is what they have become.
When Swedish talk shows feature them, when they are played on MTV, when they are interviewed on Fuse..
So many of these holier than thou metal fans look down upon that, thus giving us a bad rap.
Either way, it doesn't bother me in the least bit.

jaykeegan said:
''Opeth is the pop band of Death Metal'' ppfftt..fuck off, no way.

I feel like taking a video camera to the street and asking people.. Have you heard of opeth? 1 out of 100 people will say yes. Fuck off to the person who said opeth are the pop of metal. I'm hungry. I'm gonna go grab a yoshinoya beef bowl. Laters! :Smug:

AllWithinMyMonster said:
I feel like taking a video camera to the street and asking people.. Have you heard of opeth? 1 out of 100 people will say yes. Fuck off to the person who said opeth are the pop of metal. I'm hungry. I'm gonna go grab a yoshinoya beef bowl. Laters! :Smug:

1 out of 100 people ? You're quite generous.

How predictable that they are called mainstream. Again some fans want to keep their favorite band to themselves.

The term "mainstream" is relative and drastically overused. For example compared to a lot of people, we all live in a "mainstream" culture. And would you consider that a negative thing? Metalheads, subculture, OPeth fans, whatever...we're all part of the same system....capitalism, the western lifestyle, consumerism.

Let's all just enjoy the music and stop giving a damn what people think of us.

That's the damn point. People think way too much what others think of them and the stuff they like. Who cares ?

mot- said:
I guess theres someone over-estimating Opeth's popularity, right ?

Oh yeah, if i asked every single person at my school if they have heard of Opeth, then around 8 people would say yes & more than half of those people haven't even heard there music. They have just heard of the band through me being a fan.

Okay there's no way in hell I'm going to read all the posts in this thread before replying so I'm just gonna say:

1) Since Opeth is the best, other band's fans feel threatened as they try to cling to the belief that the band they hail is #1.
2) Who gives a shit, we're all here for the music.

Johan said:
Since Opeth is the best, other band's fans feel threatened as they try to cling to the belief that the band they hail is #1.
Opeth is the best huh? Other people are just jealous because us Opeth fans like such a great band aye?

Idiot

Well your first point overshadows the second, seeing as you were being highly opinionative in it, then somehow managed to turn around completely and say we shouldn't care about any of this.... because we're here for the music???? I just don't get the logic.

In the first point I was being a sarcastic ass, I thought that would be obvious.
I think that many Opeth fans try to throw their opinion that Opeth is the best in the face of others.

It's hard to tell whether you were being sarcastic or not because when worded, there is nothing to tell us there is humour, especially in the way you structured it. We normally denote sarcasm with those fucking gay smileys here.... I guess that's why I'm never sarcastic :lol:

Yeah I know, the problem is that it becomes obvious when you use smileys.
But oh well, I could play nicer...