Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

I hardly ever post here, but sudfdenly feel the need to. I'm 19 years old, started listening to music at about 10/12. It were the Beatles & Elvis. Then there was KoRn, the prodigy. Yes, I even have two Will Smith albums. Jamiroquai, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, some stuff by Elvis Costello. Then there were Rammstein, Ministry, NIN, LARD, other undergroundish industrial stuff like Mental Destruction, then Opeth and then Children of Bodom. My main band is now CoB, but still listen to old stuff, also Nirvana.

BTW: RjBeals, very impressed with the Jethro Tull bit. I love Jethro Tull. See ya back on the CoB-board

All I need to say is I have been listening to Metal since the Late 80's. It started with Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Testament, blah blah blah...I am ashamed to state I found out about Opeth Last year...I was Currently Listening to Soilwork, In Flames, Shadows Fall and CoB...I purchased "Blackwater Park" and listened to it...I was Bored. Bored through the whole CD, I hated it. About 2 months later I happened to Find "Orchid" in a CD bin at FYE. I looked at the song titles and HAD to get it. I knew this was their 1st CD So I was Curious. I bought it and, Seriously, the Music took me. I listened to that CD over and over and over trying to Comprehend Where they got their Style and how they derive such Complexity. As I said before, I have had a LOT of "Favorite" bands...I Downloaded Morningrise, The whole CD...That was the CD that proved This music flows through me. Yes I think they are complex as I play Guitar 12 years...And have yet learned One Opeth song all the way through... lmfao This isn't Transitional 5th power cords here. It's eerie and soothing at the same time...As I said before, I have had a lot of favorite bands but I have no ego to say opeth will Always be my Favorite No matter how old I get, Where I am at, or what I am doing. Opeth is my Backbone. Yes I am obsessed...I will be the 1st to say that. Mikael is a genius and I am glad I discoverd Opeth. They, In a way, Saved my Life.

By the way, Blackwater Park Is one of my Favorite Opeth CD's
Ironic huh? This Music GROWS on me. Like Vines. I am the only Person in my town that I know that even knows who they are lol Let rest a Female that likes Metal Like I do. Maybe cause I am in Iowa roflmao

Peace Out! Long Live Opeth!!! New CD Early 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Well, once again...i didnt mean to step on any toes here. And looking at it from a point of view that its YOUR top 100, i guess its easier to swallow...but you basically stayed within 2 genres...rap, and rock/metal. which to me embodies maybe 1/4 of the music that would qualify for greatest albums. the only ones that i really dont think hold water to be the greatest of anything would be the titles you chose like:

Too Short
White Zombie
Creed
Sevendust
LL Cool J
etc.

those just seem like theyve contributed little to nothing to the world of music as a whole, and for them to be on a top 100 albums list seems kind of silly to me, lol but oh well.

i was however impressed with many of your choices, such as:

Todd Rundgren
Elton John
Simon And Garfunkel
the beatles

most people into rap and metal wouldnt even be familiar with most of that material, let alone make space for them on their top 100 albums list. so good job there! :)

Actually Too Short made some of the best rap albums in musical terms.

This post definetaly belongs in here. Some messhugah/opeth fan posted this on Evergreys forum.

Evergey sucks dick!!! They recently dissed Meshuggah and Opeth on blabbermouth.net!!! News Flash: Meshuggah and Opeth fucking slaughter you guys in every way!!! Fredrik Thordendal does circles around you on guitar!!! You guys are just upset that you will never be thought of as highly as Opeth or the mighty MESHUGGAH!!!!!

Here's the actual quote, from the interview with Henrik:

"But I don't want to get caught up in that prog metal shit, because we're not a prog metal band. I could call us a progressive metal band as far as I would say that OPETH or MESHUGGAH is a progressive metal band."

The average I.Q of the human race is on a decline.

Its worded funny, but what i think he meant in that interview is that evergrey wont turn into the next spiral architect....the same way opeth and meshuggah can be progressive metal, without having the cliched "prog" tendencies the prog metal genre has.

*bump*

There are some decent Opeth fans and there are the fanboys. It's the fanboys that bother me A LOT. They are the type of music elitests who think their taste of music is better than anyone else's. And if anyone disagrees with them, hell breaks lose. They're like those people you see in a bar and they come up to you with a beer in their hand going "OMG! That babe is a perfect 10!" Then slaps you in the back and walks off.

I think everyone just needs to take other peoples opinion with a grain of salt, listen to what you like to listen to. Putting music into genres is just absurd if you ask me, there are so many bands that you could splice into 10 different genres, and so what does that make them? Elitist shit needs to stop, but then again, some fans will REALLY be fans, like on monday night football... well thats not saying much... anyway, there is such thing as fanboys, just look up ignorance or conformity in the dictionary... or maybe even trendy... or even... yah.

genres and sub genres are quite important im afraid. over saturation of bands and a need of positive referance for the ones that are good, is essential. You cant just call everything "metal". Or everything "rock". doesnt work...ive known people who have tried, who shared your same opinion...they ended up cracking, and sub categorizing before they knew it.

i agree with 9ft here, it's impossible to say "ok, lacuna coil and engorged are the same genre," because they're just not. still, imo the greatest bands always seem to be the ones who can't really be fit comfortably into one genre--the beatles, the clash, king crimson...and yes, opeth, if i may include them alongside such luminaries.

seriously though, when you get down to such classifications as "swamp-core" (yes i've seen it) you know it's time to take it down a notch.

@arch: best location/avatar i've seen in a while :D

i'm not a big fan over over categorising things either. bus as always, people's definitions of a bands genres stem from their music listening history, so to speak. it's why half the time with the newer bands there's so much room for movement (and argument) with definitions, especially when people feel the need to pull apart all aspects of a band and fit them into a description. you end up with overly verbose genre definitions that way, even more so when a band is capable of many style of music across their discography. when you think about it 'progressive metal' doesn't really describe opeth's musical stylings at all, it just points out that for a time said musical styling defied description. when the band starts getting enough imitators (subtle or blatant) it then becomes worthwhile to give the bands it's own genre, as has been the case with opeth where imo, 'melodic death metal' comes closest to the mark. i only really use genres when i haven't heard anything by a band before, and am looking for recommendations. usually it's just easy enough to compare a new band to another existing band, then list the differences. once i know a band well enough i don't think of them as 'this metal' or 'that metal', i just think of them as 'insert band name here metal'.

oh yes, and 'avant garde' is the best genre name ever. it just means 'new wave' or 'cutting edge' or however you choose to interpret it. it's really handy for when someone comes up with some really strange freaky stuff that is too hard to categorise, but it's use is usually limited to the industrial/darkwave/goth/folk/neo-classical genres. pity.

I'm a whore for sub-categories. Everything has its place. Death Metal and Black Metal are even too broad for me these days... I've separated my BM collection to satanic black metal, suicidal black metal, pagan/heathen metal... etc. Fucking bastards.