Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

Yeah, just say that Deliverance is the best album ever made and Steve Wilson is your God and you'll get along just fine here.......... hmm shit, you're right, using a smiley there would make it obvious.

kno talint said:
did someone say rap fans listen to children of bodom? lol those must be some fake ass rap fans.

Not I my friend.. I listen to Bodom & Rap. I am not fake. I am a music enthusiast. Rap, although some (most in these boards) might not agree, is music. I am a 30-year-old office worker who wears khaki’s and a collar to work everyday, but people know what kind of music I listen to. Besides my wife & daughter, music in general is the most important thing in my life. I couldn’t image being deaf. I also get drunk and do the electric slide at weddings.

I love old Ice-Cube, Public Enemy, Johnny Cash, Peter Paul & Mary, Dave Matthews, Beastie Boys, Run DMC….

You can check out my Top 100 albums of all time here: http://www.geocities.com/rexxun/

People have all different tastes. Opeth attract all kinds.

:rolleyes:

Where I live (a very small town in Atlantic Canada) hardly ANYONE knows who Opeth is lol... I'm the only one of the local "metalheads" that even listens to them, so I dont get much hate from it at all...

RjBeals said:

You can check out my Top 100 albums of all time here: http://www.geocities.com/rexxun/

People have all different tastes. Opeth attract all kinds.

:rolleyes:

Not to offend you or anything, but i think with a list like that, youre gonna have to broaden your horizons a bit to call yourself a music enthusiast. Some of your choices were suprising in a good way, and some just dont hold water in practically any light i can see. i know its your opinion, and im just giving mine.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
youre gonna have to broaden your horizons a bit to call yourself a music enthusiast. .

Point Taken Grey/Pink - Just understand that that list is of all time. I used to be into rap growing up... I didn't get into black/extreme/prog metal until probably late 90's. If I made a list of top 100 bands of the last 5/10 years, it would look a lot different...

Just curious, What choices couldn't hold water?

Well, once again...i didnt mean to step on any toes here. And looking at it from a point of view that its YOUR top 100, i guess its easier to swallow...but you basically stayed within 2 genres...rap, and rock/metal. which to me embodies maybe 1/4 of the music that would qualify for greatest albums. the only ones that i really dont think hold water to be the greatest of anything would be the titles you chose like:

Too Short
White Zombie
Creed
Sevendust
LL Cool J
etc.

those just seem like theyve contributed little to nothing to the world of music as a whole, and for them to be on a top 100 albums list seems kind of silly to me, lol but oh well.

i was however impressed with many of your choices, such as:

Todd Rundgren
Elton John
Simon And Garfunkel
the beatles

most people into rap and metal wouldnt even be familiar with most of that material, let alone make space for them on their top 100 albums list. so good job there! :)

The idea that someone could label another person narrowminded based on a band or type of music they listen to without having any contact with that person beside the internet seems pretty narrowminded to me.
That is the case with the majority of 'metal heads' on the net.

Metal seems to create something in the minds of people... it causes them to believe that they are in on something big that everyone else in the world can't appreciate or understand.

"The band has created a monster of stupidity/ignorance/close mindedness and overall retardation. Even though i enjoy Opeth's music, i wont call myself an opeth fan any longer."

LordHypnos

First of all, LordMoron, You can't quit comprehend the complexity of Opeth's music to judge them, Second of all, Who the fuck cares of Mikeal likes the Scorpions...He makes good Music, that's all that matters. I don't care if he likes to watch the Powerpuff Girls...As long as he keeps writing good music...I will Love them. 3rd You really don't belong here lmfao go to a Godsmack or Metallica Forum you P.O.S MTV wannabe!!!

LONG LIVE OPETH!

LordHypnos, Don't degrate Opeth cause of what "they" like personally, For all I know you collect barbie dolls and have a stamp collection...Give em a chance boner!!!

So much hate on these boards...

"Land of grey & pink" - I like you a lot. I'm glad your on these boards.

"Too Short" hasn't contributed much to the music world in general.. but when I was 15, and I heard him rapping about pimps & ho's, I was hooked. [;)] I listen to some of that old rap now and just laugh, there's no talent in a lot of it, but back then I didn't care, I played it over and over and over (like the Fat Boys - I used to love them also).

(edit) - Kinda like the Aqua Teen Hunger Force (MC Pee Pants Episode) - I want Candy, any kind'l do...

I'm sorry LordHypnos, I read your Post at a Bad time. I just don't like it when people try to judge something they know nothing about.

I couldn't find a good PIC of myself for my avatar so I had to use my College Grad Pic =(

Long Live Opeth :D

RjBeals said:
So much hate on these boards...

"Land of grey & pink" - I like you a lot. I'm glad your on these boards.

Thanks a lot man, i appreciate that. You seem like a cool guy yourself. i look forward to having more discussions with you and the rest of the fans here. :)

J. said:
That is exactly correct. Opeth fans (Opethians? are you all really that stupid? That's as bad as Bodomites) like to think that Opeth create this arcane music that only they can comprehend or understand, and by believing this nonsense, these same fans adopt the attitude of "If you don't understand Opeth, you're inferior and so is your music." Don't deny it, fanboys. You know I'm right.

Opeth's music is not complex. Opeth's music is not hard to comprehend. You have all deluded yourselves. So they combine softer passages with death metal, big deal. So they combine cleanly sung vocals with death vocals, big deal. A lot of bands do this.

Like that other individual said, if Opeth is so hard to comprehend and they are so complex, then why is the band basically a stepping stone for newbies? You would think that metal newbies would not be able to understand, much less appreciate, a vastly complex (yeah, right) band like Opeth. Yet, in this forum alone, more than half the posters are admittedly newbies and started listening to Opeth in their later (less exciting) years.

my 2 cents...

I disagree with you, I had been listening to metal ( mainly death, black and thrash) For a lonng time before i discovered Opeth. They were great to me because the music never got boring. THe sogns flow so well you can hear them over and over and its not repretetive.

I now have an extremely wide musical taste.. anything from rap to grindcore

Opeth is still one of my favorite bands, and still life still remains to be my favorite album