Worst album you ever bought thinking it was good

manuelgv

Back now...hopefully
Mar 19, 2002
Mexico city
I remember that happened to me with "Disguised Masters" from Arcturus.
I believed it would be something like 'best of Arcturus' because of the songs I saw on the back so I just bought it without asking.when I got home and heard the rap versions and the techno stuff I hated it instantly,then I heard it again and hated it even more
what album has been that to you?

my bett is that you prolly liked dimmu borgir before
but than you met alot of people that didnt than you became a little mainstream person and desided not to like it anymore cuz alot of people didnt.
plz flame me or what ever idiotic thing u might do back i wont reply to this thread anymore anyways

Originally posted by CorpseDust
my bett is that you prolly liked dimmu borgir before
but than you met alot of people that didnt than you became a little mainstream person and desided not to like it anymore cuz alot of people didnt.
plz flame me or what ever idiotic thing u might do back i wont reply to this thread anymore anyways

Actually you are quite wrong. I love the inane argument that no one can dislike DB for their crappy music. Instead, everyone must dislike DB because of their "sellout" status or some other moronic reason. Can I not dislike a band for their music? And the fact that you won't respond to this thread again only proves you have no grounds to make such a statement. You are quite a sad pathetic person.

I actually didn't listen to Dimmu until after PEM had been released. After hearing all the hype about them, I expected something truly groundbreaking. Alas, they were truly boring.

Primus-Antipop
Hate Eternal-Whatever the first one was called
Gwar-Violence Has Arrived
Decapitated-The first one (Didn't bother with the second)
Meshuggah-Nothing

Countless others...

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black

Everyone has been praising that band album...bla bl bla...so I bought it. It's probably the worst cd I own together with Sacred Steel's Bloodlust.

What's really the deal with Warrel Dane?!? He sound like he's out of tune...all the time imho.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
everything by Dimmu Borgir

Hell yeah. I bought SBD, and it S-U-C-K-E-D! Then I heard people talking about "oh, their old stuff is better!" So I bought Stormblast, and it sucked harder. So I sold them to get some good stuff.

Rarely buy albums without hearing at least two tracks from it but I've had a few.

Nailbomb - Point Blank
that one has to be the biggest disserpointment, after all the great things I heard about the band.

Most disserpointing one I've heard and thankfully didn't buy was the newest In Flames, what a bunch of shit that turned out to be! they had it playing in a a store in Camden and my mate had to ask the guy in the store what it was they were playing because I couldn't work it out! It was that different from their orginial stuff.

Maybe mine is Dominus' "View to the dim". I found it at a library sale for 10 Kroner (approx. $1.33) and heard that it should be great viking death/black shit, but when I turned it on it was more or less instantly fastforwarding. It was pretty horrible! The only black I could find in it was their lyrics (which I didn't even bother to read), as their music was braindead death smashing!
Another candidate is Mid Autumn Nights' "And I entitled it a dirge...". I saw it get 8 out of 10 in Metalized, but it pretty much sucked, so that's how much reviews are worth! Okay, after a couple of listens there are a couple of good riffs, but basically it sounds to "demo" in a way. Bad singing, bad playing, mediocre production and just seem so quickly done by people who were like "Hey let's play some dark metal. I used to listen to U2 and Pet Shop Boys, but let's try this!".
That's metal! I mostly buy non-metal records from the 60's & 70's and I've encountered some really, really bad shit;
Jacques Coursil "Black suite" psychedelic french jazz from '69. No structure what so ever. Just crazy blowing in a horn and seems like it's just weird because it's cool to be like that! I paid 60 Kroner (approx. $8) for it, but sold it for 200 Kroner (approx $26.6), so that was alright. I've also bought another copy as I found it for 30 Kroner and plan on selling it for the same amount!
Miles Davis "Bitches brew" (double). I bought it for 150 Kroner (approx. $20), heard it once, said "yeah, that's probably alright" and put it on the shelf for a year. I then started a massive clean-out in my record collection and heard it again. 100% crap I tell you!!!!! Some people consider it a classic, which is fine by me, as long as I don't have to listen to it, as it's one of worst records I've had in my collection. I didn't even have the Jacues Coursil in my collection, I immediatly put it in my "sell" pile after I listened to it. At least I could sell the Miles Davis record for the same amount as I paid for it!
I've also bought terrible crap like;
Big Ben Banjo Band "Happy banjos play the Beatles" (though it might be interesting for a Beatles fan, but I guess I was wrong)
Russ Conway "Party time" (50's/early 60's saloon piano music!)
Papa John Creach "S/T"
"Dansing and singing syrtaki in Greece" (Greek folk music!)
Debarge "Rhythm of the night" (released in 1985. Do I have to say more?)
Dawn "Tie a yellow ribbon"
"Gesänge der Taiga" (Russian chorus music. Has "Kalinka" though. Also has a decent cover, but still crap!)
Bobby Goldsbore "Come back home"
Juliette Greco "Mon fils chante"
"Hammond on the rocks" (bought it for the terrible version of "Greensleeves")
"Hammond at midnight" (bought it for the terrible version of "Greensleeves")
Debbie Jacobs "Undercover lover" (gross disco!)
"Los tres Paraguayos" (folk music from Latin America)
Gabi Lunca "S/T" (Roman shit!)
Mireille Mathieu "Und der wind wird ewig singen" (At a time I had 10 of her records in my collection. It was the time I listened to hip hop and made beats stolen from old records. Her music was superb for this, but it more or less had to be on Barclay, but this was when she had gone to Ariola and had started singing in German! :puke:
Gilbert O' Sullivan "Back to front" :yuk:
I have more shit that I've bought that weren't good. I usually go into a second hand store, look at a record and say "hey, that looks cool" and buy it for 20 Kroner (approx. $1.50). When I was doing hip hop beats I bought all kinds of weird shit, just to make rip-offs, so when I stopped doing that I had loads of records that was useless. There was some of the records that had some good stuff on it, but all those Greek, Italian & Romanian records were useless. I've also bought loads of records I bought just to hear (which I do now all the time), but it didn't have anything good on it. I've also bought records just to sell them and make a little money off them. I now have 2-300 records I want to sell!

Originally posted by Board
Miles Davis "Bitches brew" (double). I bought it for 150 Kroner (approx. $20), heard it once, said "yeah, that's probably alright" and put it on the shelf for a year. I then started a massive clean-out in my record collection and heard it again. 100% crap I tell you!!!!! Some people consider it a classic, which is fine by me, as long as I don't have to listen to it, as it's one of worst records I've had in my collection.

'Bitches Brew' is a classic and considered "untouchable" for a reason. It's too bad you aren't into this style of music. It provided more originality and atmosphere than anything else in that era or probably any era since. It's fine that you don't like it, but you are probably not qualified to make a judgment about such a masterpiece. Sometimes things are made for the sake of art. Music is an art form, and Miles Davis created some of the most amazing art in the his jazz-fusiona era. Albums like 'Bitches Brew' have become a strong influence on a lot of the doom/drone bands. Sunn 0))) in particular.

One of the albums I'm was most disappointed in was Deicide 'Serpents of the Light'. Stupid and funny . . . not the evil in the least bit.