Favorite country for metal?

What is your favorite country for metal?

• Total voters
Not really. Both have easily put out some of the finest Metal ever created, and in massive quantities.

Very true. But while Swedish metal is generally over-hyped, the amount of good US Metal is essentially cancelled out by its output of utter garbage.

To me, a meritable metal country is one whose output of quality metal exceeds its output of shit. Finland and France may qualify for this category. It's a shame that countries such as the US are marred by crap despite their abundance of quality metal.

I don't even waste my time thinking about shitty music. I'm not going to fault Possessed, Slayer, Exodus, Obituary, Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Hellwitch, Morpheus Descends, Manilla Road, Attacker, Heir Apparent, Brocas Helm, Morbid Saint, and Profanatica because bands like Nevermore and Cellador exist.

Sorry, I don't fault countries as a whole for the shit that gets put out either. Half the crap here I wouldn't even consider Metal anyway. And I'm sure there's an extensively shitty scene in France as well that you just don't know about.

There are a number of good bands from Sweden... and then there's the melodeath scene, which is what everyone thinks of when you saw "Swedish metal." The U.S. has it's fair share of crap, too, but what the hell, I'm voting USA.

Very true. But while Swedish metal is generally over-hyped, the amount of good US Metal is essentially cancelled out by its output of utter garbage.

To me, a meritable metal country is one whose output of quality metal exceeds its output of shit. Finland and France may qualify for this category. It's a shame that countries such as the US are marred by crap despite their abundance of quality metal.

well, a meritable metal country also can be judged on the basis of how many good bands there are in relation to the countries population,in those terms,sweden,with a population of 9 million people outruns the US with an over 25 times bigger population by far,even though there may be a larger amount of good bands from the US

Its gotta be Finland,well my favourite anyway,
Children of bodom,sinergy,Norther,wintersun,ensiferum,turisas,
amorphis,sentenced,korpiklanni,Nightwish,Sonata Arctica,
Warmen,Stratovarius,Kotipelto,Finntroll,Kiuas,Thunderstone,
Tarot,Imperanon,Kalmah etc etc

well, a meritable metal country also can be judged on the basis of how many good bands there are in relation to the countries population,in those terms,sweden,with a population of 9 million people outruns the US with an over 25 times bigger population by far,even though there may be a larger amount of good bands from the US

By that rationale, Finland would probably take the cake at 5.3 million people.

Necuratul is right here. IMO this poll is right on the money. Crap metal should be ignored. It has no relevance to the listening or enjoyment of someone who knows what good metal is. Producing metal that is worth listening to is what makes a country's scene good, and therefore the countries with a lot of votes at the moment deserve them. I personally prefer US metal over Scandinavian, but I would be a fool not to recognize the massive significance and quality produced in Scandinavia, hence why they are winning.

Population is also an irrelevant point in this. If the Vatican produced one good band, then they would win if we take population into account, but that would be silly. It is about the total quality metal output, pure and simple.

I went with Sweden, mainly because they seem to consistently churn out superb metal bands.

I mean, where can you go wrong with a list of bands like this: Bathory, Arch Enemy, Candlemass, Dark Tranquillity, Opeth, Darkane, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Meshuggah, The Haunted, At the Gates, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Evergrey, Ravaged, Katatonia, Pain of Salvation, Hammerfall, Therion, Blindside, Jerusalem, Unleashed, Amon Amarth, Vintersorg, Entombed, Lost Horizon, Tiamat, Nocturnal Rites, Nasum, Regurgitate, Marduk, Watain and Deathstars.

My favourites out of them would be Opeth, Meshuggah, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry and Nocturnal Rites.

Necuratul is right here. IMO this poll is right on the money. Crap metal should be ignored. It has no relevance to the listening or enjoyment of someone who knows what good metal is. Producing metal that is worth listening to is what makes a country's scene good, and therefore the countries with a lot of votes at the moment deserve them. I personally prefer US metal over Scandinavian, but I would be a fool not to recognize the massive significance and quality produced in Scandinavia, hence why they are winning.

Population is also an irrelevant point in this. If the Vatican produced one good band, then they would win if we take population into account, but that would be silly. It is about the total quality metal output, pure and simple.

In other words, this poll is entirely subjective.

Well, the United States is my favorite country for pretty much any music. I like listening to music that I can "relate" to, and sprekin ze English helps that out a lot. With the exception of Pink Floyd, all of my top 10 favorite artists are North American. Granted I do love Rammstein quite a bit, and a lot of the black and death artists I like are foreign, but other than that my favorite metal artists are American.

sprekin ze English

you dolt! do you seriously expect people from other countries to speak english? no wonder youre a pantera fan. you truly are an ignorant american.

and besides, 90% of the metal bands sing in english anyways, so how is that even a criteria.

people like you piss me the fuck off. americans have a terrible tendancy to shun other cultures because they dont speak english. what a load of shit.

goddamnit, now i'm gonna spend the next couple days looking into moving to europe (again). i cant stand living in the same country as people like you. shit, i cant believe i'm actually serving in the military to support and defend people like you.

you make me sick
~gR~

you dolt! do you seriously expect people from other countries to speak english? no wonder youre a pantera fan. you truly are an ignorant american.

and besides, 90% of the metal bands sing in english anyways, so how is that even a criteria.

people like you piss me the fuck off. americans have a terrible tendancy to shun other cultures because they dont speak english. what a load of shit.

goddamnit, now i'm gonna spend the next couple days looking into moving to europe (again). i cant stand living in the same country as people like you. shit, i cant believe i'm actually serving in the military to support and defend people like you.

you make me sick
~gR~

You're hilarious. I doubt you're even over 13.

1. I don't expect people from other countries to speak English. I never said that or implied it.

Do you expect me to listen to music based on a diplomatic assessment of who I should like for the good of cultural diversity? I listen to music that I like, and I like relating to music. Never would I claim that any bands should ever cater to my taste. I don't tell Brittney Spears to play metal and I don't tell U2 to produce their music less. But do you think I'm supposed to listen to Brittney and U2 just because I have no problem with them? No, I listen to the music I like. I go and find the artists I like and then listen to them.

2. Speaking English was only one facet of my choice. I know that most bands do it. I like listening to bands that I feel have a similar background to me.

3. Shunning other cultures? Ridiculous. Did you not notice how much I love Rammstein and foreign black/death bands?

well, todays my birthday actually. i'm 23

and yes you did imply it with your ignorant "sprekin ze English" comment. i'm done dealing with you. its beneath me to argue with swine like you.
~gR~