GMD Poll: Bolt Thrower's Discography Ranked

Anyway .... RYM, Discogs, etc all have that album as strictly death metal. No secondary tags for deathgrind, grindcore etc.

Wikipedia has Realm of Chaos as death metal and grindcore and then the rest of their albums from there onward are considered death metal.

Also:

safsf.jpg

An anomaly on Discogs but evidently it's not so outrageous to say the album has some grindcore elements.

Autopsy have always been a "pure death metal band" regardless of having doom(and even thrash) influences to their sound. clear influences in a bands sound doesn't change the fact that they are strictly death metal. If that's the case like i said we can dissect almost every death metal band there is and we will only be left with a handful that you guys can refer to as "pure". Obituary, Incatation etc even have slower, doomy parts ... no one ever refers to them as death doom.

Wikipedia has Realm of Chaos as death metal and grindcore and then the rest of their albums from there onward are considered death metal.
Wikipedia? Im talking metal here, so i think sites that specialize in metal or one's where fans vote up what genres they are are far more legitimate. I can go in and edit that wiki article right now if need be. But you guys also agree that that is NOT a grindcore album, so i don't get what the point of that incorrect wiki label is.

Also:

View attachment 12176

An anomaly on Discogs but evidently it's not so outrageous to say the album has some grindcore elements.
Not ourgaeous at all. But I never once said it doesnt have grind elements, but what i'm saying(for the 4th time)is it's still pure death metal .... as are plenty of other DM bands that have clear influences in their sound from other subgenres(thrash, doom grind, etc).
B5wSNL5.png

oYHGGL1.png

i disagree, that's exactly what it is. They were always a death metal band and having some grindcore influence (less than some of the influences other genres had for other bands mentioned) does not and has not ever made them a deathmetal-grindcore band. They are a pure death metal band ... so is Autopsy, so is Disma, so is Incantation, so is Morbid Angel etc. I mentioned so many bands/albums already that have more influences form other subgenres but no one would even entertain the idea of referring to them as anything other than death metal.

They were always a death metal band? Even during their demo days? Their Peel Session record? Okay we clearly disagree way too much on this to warrant this amount of discussion.

I'll just say I agree to disagree.

Agree with TB, Realm of Chaos doesn't nearly have enough grind elements to warrant the tag. Death metal is fine.

Do you agree that In Battle There is No Law! is a death metal album?

.. we're clearly talking about their albums, not demos. No need to jump all over the place. You also keep ignoring the other bands i keep bringing up as perfect examples. But yeah I think Realm of Chaos is 100% death metal, you dont. So yeah, we agree to disagree.

.. we're clearly talking about their albums, not demos.

Well as I said, I think the grindcore elements on Realm of Chaos are leftover elements from their evolution away from grindcore, hence the relevance of their pre-debut full length material. Also you said always and always doesn't start with their first album.

But anyways, I'm probably just wrong. I admit I am pretty awful at picking out genre-relevant elements in music and defining it.

the influence IS in their sound. And again, you originally said Realm of Chaos isnt pure death metal. Which it is.

edit: Lol, the good ole' sub-genre argument. I think these were the first type of arguments in the history of metal forums haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG