Iconoclast: News/Info Thread

Many new subscribers as of late btw.

I noticed this too

Also, its great to see the Symphony X forum talking about, well, Symphony X again. Haven't seen this much buzz in a while either, being as i joined the forum right around when the between-album slump began (late 08 - early 09).

Great song! I'm not in love with the solo though, to be honest. Romeo's solos usually have this amazing phrasing and groove to them and this one just kind of seems noodle-y to me...but I might change my mind when I hear it on the record. Rus sounds incredible, but that of course comes as no surprise. Can't wait to hear more of the new stuff, looks like it just might be worth the wait!

Yes, I thought the same. I was a bit disappointed by that.

It's official artwork. Whether or not its the front page artwork. Time will tell, but I think its pretty safe to assume...

Thanks guys, I just figured with updates/news being so rare in these trying times. And the fact that, in another thread instead of discussing something new, we where going around in circles with complaints, arguments, and trying to figure out who to blame. I figured id do something constructive with my time :)

Also, the song as far as I know is 'End of Innocence' I mean its in the chorus. And Allen clearly says before the song, "this is a new song from our upcoming album called, End of Innocence...". Though nothing is set in stone I suppose untill the album is released!

NOTE: I'm looking forward to this "Big Nuclear Blast Announcement" this week. Fingers crossed its about symphony x :)

Omg if Nuclear Blast does not announce anything about Symphony X, a lot of people will be pissed. They have been anouncing shit about almost every band BUT Symphony X. Also the new song sounds amazing, like a mash up of V and Paradise Lost sounds.

Great song! I'm not in love with the solo though, to be honest. Romeo's solos usually have this amazing phrasing and groove to them and this one just kind of seems noodle-y to me...but I might change my mind when I hear it on the record. Rus sounds incredible, but that of course comes as no surprise. Can't wait to hear more of the new stuff, looks like it just might be worth the wait!

I agree. Also is this song even progressive? The song is mainly just one chorus and a short pre-chorus (sorry I don't know the words). I would have liked to see alternating guitar/key solo as well. For me Michael lost his guitar writing skills on Paradise Lost, so I am very pessimistic about the new release. Even on Twilight in Olympus, an album most people don't seem to like much as some of the others, the guitar defines the album, the solos are simply amazing..

But I do like the new song, much better than anything on paradise lost anyway. I am much more excited now :headbang:

I don't really enjoy extended guitar solos anyways. I'd much rather have any "intense shredding" replaced with a tasteful instrumental section.

I don't really enjoy extended guitar solos anyways. I'd much rather have any "intense shredding" replaced with a tasteful instrumental section.

I don't like "intense shredding" either. That's why I like Michael Romeo, because it's always melodic and musically interesting unlike most guitarists. If anything Paradise Lost has more plain shredding than the earlier albums. The solo in the new song is more like "intense shredding" than anything on the earlier albums I would say. And yes I want a tasteful instrumental section more than anything as well.

I agree. Also is this song even progressive? The song is mainly just one chorus and a short pre-chorus (sorry I don't know the words). I would have liked to see alternating guitar/key solo as well. For me Michael lost his guitar writing skills on Paradise Lost, so I am very pessimistic about the new release. Even on Twilight in Olympus, an album most people don't seem to like much as some of the others, the guitar defines the album, the solos are simply amazing..

But I do like the new song, much better than anything on paradise lost anyway. I am much more excited now :headbang:

Eh, "progressive" is a thing not easily defined nowadays. Progressive compared to what? All i know is the song is awesome.

As for Michael losing his guitar skills on Paradise Lost...that's ridiculous in my opinion. The solo from Paradise Lost is fantastic, and the melodies from Seven and Eve of Seduction are awesome. I don't know why people feel this way about PL, I honestly loved it almost as much as every other Symph X album, although the Odyssey is my favorite hands down.

I don't like "intense shredding" either. That's why I like Michael Romeo, because it's always melodic and musically interesting unlike most guitarists. If anything Paradise Lost has more plain shredding than the earlier albums. The solo in the new song is more like "intense shredding" than anything on the earlier albums I would say. And yes I want a tasteful instrumental section more than anything as well.
Agreed, but I want to hear an album version before I'll say anything more about the new song. I liked it, but the solo and the intro didn't really cut it for me yet (after atleast a dozen listens). Nevertheless, I'm getting really hyped about the new album!

Eh, "progressive" is a thing not easily defined nowadays. Progressive compared to what? All i know is the song is awesome.

As for Michael losing his guitar skills on Paradise Lost...that's ridiculous in my opinion. The solo from Paradise Lost is fantastic, and the melodies from Seven and Eve of Seduction are awesome. I don't know why people feel this way about PL, I honestly loved it almost as much as every other Symph X album, although the Odyssey is my favorite hands down.

I know, Progressive is hard to define but I think you can safely judge if a song is more or less progressive than something else. End of Innocence to me sounds less progressive than songs on albums pre-Paradise Lost. Meaning that there are no alternating keyboard/guitar solos, less odd time signatures and the song structure is less complex.

But I really like the new song, don't get me wrong. As for Paradise Lost, I'm glad you like it, and the Odyssey is one of my favorite albums of all time as well.

Oh, and Sep3, I also agree that we need to hear the album version before judging it. I know that guitar solos from Michael can sound completely different live than the way he meant them to be on album. Also the live version might be missing all sorts of things. We'll see! Listening to it now, I think i can hear a lot of parts where there may be a missing clean guitar layer : ) Sweeeet

I think people's main gripes about Paradise Lost, was the lack of dynamics. Look at songs like 'The Accolade I or II', especially II... Or Awakenings, The Edge of Forever. Symphony X has such an amazingly expressive/dynamic back catologue.

Paradise Lost was an awesome album. Most will agree, but not one song touched the, well I don't have a word for it. I suppose Emotion/Epicness what ever you want to call it was lacking on Paradise Lost. For the most part, most of Paradise Lost sounded the same. I'm a huge fan, and did nothing but listen to symphony x for like two years of my life. And can pretty much say every lyric for every song. Minus Paradise Lost, which I found to be forgettable. Which is perhaps its biggest flaw, the fact that the majority of the songs on Paradise Lost are just that...Forgettable! Which right off the bat, I find nothing forgettable about this song.

The reason why I find 'End of Innocence' amazing and refreshing, is it has all the best parts of Paradise Lost, and incorporates Michael Pinnella (keys) into it, and over all a heavy, yet classical, yet melodic feel to the new song. You have this crunchy, dirty bombastic riffs mixed with some chord structure harkening back to the days of V: The New Mythology Suite. I don't know how the rest of the album will turn out, but I'm loving this song. To me its Paradise Lost got together with V, than had a threesome adding in The Odyssey. And their first born child was Inferno: Set the world on Egypt!

EoI is a great song, very nice feel. Some of you might not like me for saying it, but it has a Yngwie feel to it, to me.

:lol: I kinda felt that too! especially when listening to MJR's not so interesting shredfest of a solo.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a fan of both guys.

Jeeze, lets start a thread to tell MJR how he should solo in his songs, better yet, lets start a thread where the armchair guitar players can submit BETTER solos.....

/end Sarcasm

It's great to see activity & excitement over the new tunes, but I think it would be wise to not make judgements based on an audience shot video...
It's no wonder why there is no participation from the band, and why some of them hate the internet....

IMO, Romeo is anything but predictable or formulatic

For me Michael lost his guitar writing skills on Paradise Lost, so I am very pessimistic about the new release.

What? Have you really listened to Paradise Lost? With headphones?

I second that opinion. Michael Romeo lose his writing skills? Not possible. The first 4 songs are good, but the last 6, from Paradise Lost to Revelation are brilliant. Paradise Lost and The Sacrifice are beautiful with outstanding solos. Eve Of Seduction has a great riff. My favorite song on the CD is The Walls Of Babylon. I love how heavy it is. What a crunching song. The whole CD is more metal than progressive. It's just a little different than their earlier material. I think that's what throws some people off. While it may not be Symphony X's best release or appeal to everyone, most bands wish they could write something half as good. :worship:

Hey now J-Dubya! I love the new stuff, and he isn't predictable. But a Romeo solo, is a Romeo solo. He has his own style, and you can hear it in all of his Solo's is what I mean. Which IMO is formulatic, he has a similar approach to most of his solo's.

I do completely disagree however with him loosing his writing skills. Though I do think the band should start writing together again, as opposed to handing Romeo the reigns. It will eventually pay a toll on the guy and effect the music. They've all showcased amazing writing skills in the past. Lets see it again!

Either or, J-Dubs is right, keep it friendly guys. You can all form your opinions once the album comes out. And we really shouldn't judge before we hear the studio version. Which sucks, cuz I already think the song kicks my ass lol!