In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Please, tell me, while Anders is singing

"Vultures descend
Feeding on us
There's no sympathy"

What can you hear in the background music? Bass, drums and what? Guitars? No. And, as Örjan Örnkloo is not playing with the band, or I hear something that there is not there or you have to adjust the volume.

Maybe the right word is not programming, maybe it's keyboards, I don't know but in the end it doesn't change my point.

Edit. I forgot to add the keyboard or guitar (I don't know which one they used at studio) during the last chorus and till the end of the song.

They've been using samples on stage since 1998 or so...

Maybe it's just because my interest in that type of metal has waned, but I didn't find The Living Infinite hugely interesting. A well crafted record, no doubt, but I haven't listened to it much. That goes for pretty much all Soilwork records after Figure Number Five though. There are a few cool tracks scattered across their later works - Nerve, Exile, Your Beloved Scapegoat, Deliverance is Mine, Tongue, Parasite Blues... but overall I've not found any post-2004 Soilwork records interesting enough to listen to the whole way through.

Same here. They've also gone down the "let's do mainstream pop metal" lane. And all the songs are pleasant to the ear, singer sings really good, all the sounds are there... but nothing really stands out.

And after sitting through whole TLI nothing grabs me and makes me listen that stuff again and again.

I really can't say nothing bad about that album. Musicianship, singing and songwriting are waaaay above SC level, but it's really not my cup of tea.

In general, I tend to dislike former melodeath or melodeath influenced band doing that americanised alt, pop, whatever metal.

It's like listening to harder version of Sonic Syndicate which is atrocious piece of shit.

-

Yup, Silence, without a doubt.

This makes me wonder if the booklet is more flawed ("The New Word" on the back and in the lyrics, but many confuse it as World due to the mislabeled header which says "The New World"), and if Anders does not care and just fools around for fun. - On that note, the booklet IS totally fucked. Errors all over the place. And with errors I mean the grammar. Throw it away.

Also, in the studio version, it IS silence, without doubt.

Live however, at 01:42, he definitely sings "...to the heart of the silence".
I wonder if he only does that when doing LIVE at times, expecting a silent crowd.

Back to the studio version... I've spent some time ripping this fucker open, and the correct wording is:

"A sad song, it was, through renewal it brought..."
"And a month seems sometimes shorter - than half nights longing."

"Hidden and hard are the reasons for war."
"Polar twist, invert and free."

"I can't dissolve this feeling of mind,
but patience will unlock the doors...
And the maps of reasons, re-written for me.
When the wait is over, and the punishment is due!"

"Each day at dawn, to the yawn of the silence!"
"And I beg - for mercy. And I beg for mercy in - vain!"

"One night is a mare, soon it's worse."
"But how can I manage three?!"

The song basically is about going to war versus ones fear of the night (nyctophobia), when the darkness and silence breaks through. The person, though being unaware of it (Hidden...), is suffering from nyctophobia (fear of the night) and is begging for the day to keep going, but the polar twists, and turns dawn to night. However, patience leads to a new dawn... but with that relief, the punishment is soon due again in a never-ending loop and unanswered pleas for mercy for an eternal day. A sad song, it was...

No dude that is nowhere CLOSE to correct. The only word in question is that it is SILENCE and not GIANTS, and the only other possible word to question is the ''invert and flea'' because it doesn't make any sense. It should be ''Flee''. ''Free'' makes no sense and I hear no ''R''. Also the ''One night is a mare'' ''Soon it's worse'' also makes no sense since he says ''How can I manage three''? right after. You also hear him say ''is'' and not ''it's'' clearly. And I hear him say ''two'' perfectly fine. It's also not ''feeling of mind'', it is like in the official lyrics, ''feeling of mine''. He's talking about his feelings, thus ''mine'' is the correct word, and you also clearly hear him not ending the word with ''d''. He's screaming it ''MYYYYYYYNE'' with an crystal clear ''N'' sound.

Feel free to listen to it again because I know I am 100% correct without a doubt. It's just misheard lyrics, they could easily be misheard and when you have another similar sounding word in front of you, it might feel like it's obvious because you are hearing the word you are reading even though it's wrong. And his pronounciation is a bit weird at times as well. But it was way worse on TJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
No dude that is nowhere CLOSE to correct. The only word in question is that it is SILENCE and not GIANTS, and the only other possible word to question is the ''invert and flea'' because it doesn't make any sense. It should be ''Flee''. ''Free'' makes no sense and I hear no ''R''. Also the ''One night is a mare'' ''Soon it's worse'' also makes no sense since he says ''How can I manage three''? right after. You also hear him say ''is'' and not ''it's'' clearly. And I hear him say ''two'' perfectly fine. It's also not ''feeling of mind'', it is like in the official lyrics, ''feeling of mine''. He's talking about his feelings, thus ''mine'' is the correct word, and you also clearly hear him not ending the word with ''d''. He's screaming it ''MYYYYYYYNE'' with an crystal clear ''N'' sound.

Feel free to listen to it again because I know I am 100% correct without a doubt. It's just misheard lyrics, they could easily be misheard and when you have another similar sounding word in front of you, it might feel like it's obvious because you are hearing the word you are reading even though it's wrong. And his pronounciation is a bit weird at times as well. But it was way worse on TJR.

I agree. The only word in question is "Giants/Silence". Everything else is correct. I've always heard him say "Gilence", like a mixture of the two as if he couldn't decide. Also, on Coerced Coexistence, he fucks up pretty badly. He sings "Co-seased coexistence". That's not how the word is pronounced.

Resin is just another classic amazing IF song that only takes 2 guitars live. They could easily add in so many more. The feelings, energy and power songs like it convey are too fucking good to neglect. Plus, they're so digestible that even new ears can get into them right on the spot hearing them live for the first time.

They should adjust the setlist as time goes on.

7 or 8 songs off a new album that is probably the worst album you've done is retarded. I'm sorry.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

long ass wall of text no one but maybe krofius will care to read through incoming soon!

but two things in advance:
1. rofl at people who said TCP sucks live.
2. now I know why don't they play pre 2000 IF songs. If it wasn't for Anders, Resin would've been just a "meh" song at the setlist. People were trying to get into it but it's so fucking hard with it's tempo and the unaudible lyrics which are hardly melodic. Yes, Anders made it into one of the highlights of the show, but he had to work the crowd through the entire song, and I totally get that he doesn't want to do it in more songs, it's not how a show should go. Compare it to Trigger, where it was almost the other way around, we totally went nuts and Anders might as well left the stage (thankfully he did not!), because it was so goddamn easy to get into it, like everyone was on drugs. And yes, the majority of the attendants were infants when The Jester Race came out, and IF should know it, because there was an autograph session, and Anders has fucking glasses, so he should see who are they playing for. Also, even fit he setlist would be 40/60 with old/new material, older fans still wouldn't come because they can't stand the new stuff and they wouldn't like how they perform the older ones either.

The sad reality is, the few of you who keeps jabbing at IF and Anders are the vast minority. After the show this thread and the way the same ol' 4-5 ppl are bashing them over and over again is just funny. It's like a herding place for bitter, once-IF fans. Not that they don't deserve a dedicated place on this board, if someone wants to express how fucking bad IF is in his opinion for 10+ years he/she should be free to do so.

How many times have you been at IF shows krofius? I'm not sure what are your standards or what do you expect of them, but if you reply in time I might be able to enlighten you about some stuff you are interested in about this leg of the tour:p

Aaanyway, I'll post when I'm ready! Until then, keep discussing what should IF rename themselves to (In Pop? In I Can't Sing?), review Lunar Strain, the very best album of IF and decide how much better ATG is than IF in a scale from Anders' voice to The Jester Race growls.

Fuck, I can't wash my hands...

I agree. The only word in question is "Giants/Silence". Everything else is correct. I've always heard him say "Gilence", like a mixture of the two as if he couldn't decide. Also, on Coerced Coexistence, he fucks up pretty badly. He sings "Co-seased coexistence". That's not how the word is pronounced.

I know he's skipped a few words on other songs as well in the old days. On Jotun there's a part ''Invades the N Y skyline'' and it sounds like he just says ''invading through the skyline'' or something similar.

Also on TJR title track is one of my favorites when he should say ''inferior even to the transparent winds'' and he says ''infestor'' instead or something lol.

And on December flower on the lyric line ''as the winter-guise I swoop towards the ground'' he just skips saying ''I swoop'' and badly pronouncing ''towards''. Also on ''embrace the sleeping shores'' he says ''stones'' instead lol. Almost in every song he either skips or proncounces something weird. He often skips ''the'' or similar stuff. Also he tends to say root instead of roots and with a lot of other singular/plural words he does the same, especially on TJR and Whoracle.

2. now I know why don't they play pre 2000 IF songs. If it wasn't for Anders, Resin would've been just a "meh" song at the setlist. People were trying to get into it but it's so fucking hard with it's tempo and the unaudible lyrics which are hardly melodic. Yes, Anders made it into one of the highlights of the show, but he had to work the crowd through the entire song, and I totally get that he doesn't want to do it in more songs, it's not how a show should go. Compare it to Trigger, where it was almost the other way around, we totally went nuts and Anders might as well left the stage (thankfully he did not!), because it was so goddamn easy to get into it, like everyone was on drugs. And yes, the majority of the attendants were infants when The Jester Race came out, and IF should know it, because there was an autograph session, and Anders has fucking glasses, so he should see who are they playing for. Also, even fit he setlist would be 40/60 with old/new material, older fans still wouldn't come because they can't stand the new stuff and they wouldn't like how they perform the older ones either.

The sad reality is, the few of you who keeps jabbing at IF and Anders are the vast minority. After the show this thread and the way the same ol' 4-5 ppl are bashing them over and over again is just funny. It's like a herding place for bitter, once-IF fans. Not that they don't deserve a dedicated place on this board, if someone wants to express how fucking bad IF is in his opinion for 10+ years he/she should be free to do so.

How many times have you been at IF shows krofius? I'm not sure what are your standards or what do you expect of them, but if you reply in time I might be able to enlighten you about some stuff you are interested in about this leg of the tour:p

Aaanyway, I'll post when I'm ready! Until then, keep discussing what should IF rename themselves to (In Pop? In I Can't Sing?), review Lunar Strain, the very best album of IF and decide how much better ATG is than IF in a scale from Anders' voice to The Jester Race growls.

Fuck, I can't wash my hands...

Many people you find at Iron Maiden's shows weren't even borne by the time they were the greatest Heavy Metal band you could listen at, and still they know about the old songs.

Es for Resin, I said I don't know why they choose this song when they have Embody de invisible or Episode 666 that should be more suitable for the "children" that go to their concerts now.

As for singing, if you listen to the videos from their concerts and still say that he is a good singer, I don't think anybody can convince you of the oposite, but still I would tell you to listen with an open mind.

As for people complaining about new IF, and for new I'm talking SC, maybe not many here, but there use to be much more on their facebook page, until the het bored and stoped posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, the point is, I don't care if he would win an X-factor or American Idol or not. Put in some classical music if you want singers who hit every note.

Chester Bennington from LP has been fucking terrible live ever since, it's still one of the most popular band on the face of earth, because people want to hear their favorite songs live with tons of energy. No, I don't care if Anders cracks once in a while, and pussies out from some hard parts (like Deliver Us), I want him to rock me. And his voice is most certainly fine for what he is doing, the human ear is pretty sensitive to really shitty voice, and trust me, no one would pay a single cent to listen someone who is absolute shit.

Anders was a fucking hero in yesterday's show, and not just me, but the whole crowd loved him. I get it, you sit back on your chair, focus on his voice only, find something that's not Pavarotti-like, and you go "A HA!", and you truly believe he is shit , yet they are still selling out places and they still have their followers. If someone leaves, some other dude or dudette joins, he's doing fine. You'd simply not be able to do this with a truly shitty voice, and the way the three or four of you keep circlejerking about it just makes me roll my eyes. I'm sorry, but who the fuck is even listening to a band whose singer he considers shit. I consider some singers shit, while others say he/she is the greatest, but the difference is, you won't find me on that band's online boards. "Hey guys, I just registered to tell you that your singer sucks balls. Thanks, bye.".

Good post Jester Slave. I agree totally with what you just said. No one has ever claimed Anders is a perfect singer. He has a unique voice, which is why some people hate him while many also love him.

Man, the point is, I don't care if he would win an X-factor or American Idol or not. Put in some classical music if you want singers who hit every note.

Chester Bennington from LP has been fucking terrible live ever since, it's still one of the most popular band on the face of earth, because people want to hear their favorite songs live with tons of energy. No, I don't care if Anders cracks once in a while, and pussies out from some hard parts (like Deliver Us), I want him to rock me. And his voice is most certainly fine for what he is doing, the human ear is pretty sensitive to really shitty voice, and trust me, no one would pay a single cent to listen someone who is absolute shit.

Anders was a fucking hero in yesterday's show, and not just me, but the whole crowd loved him. I get it, you sit back on your chair, focus on his voice only, find something that's not Pavarotti-like, and you go "A HA!", and you truly believe he is shit , yet they are still selling out places and they still have their followers. If someone leaves, some other dude or dudette joins, he's doing fine. You'd simply not be able to do this with a truly shitty voice, and the way the three or four of you keep circlejerking about it just makes me roll my eyes. I'm sorry, but who the fuck is even listening to a band whose singer he considers shit. I consider some singers shit, while others say he/she is the greatest, but the difference is, you won't find me on that band's online boards. "Hey guys, I just registered to tell you that your singer sucks balls. Thanks, bye.".

No men. I've been to many concerts and saw many singers that were, I won't say great, but that, at least, can sing live what they do in studio, to know the difference.

And I'm not telling he's shit, I'm telling he's bad when it comes to clean vocals, it's not only that he cannot sing like he does at the studio, it's that he can't sing without being off pitch. Yeah, he does many jokes live and he can move the crowd, but this doesn't make him a good singer. And, I think there's no one here, except for you, that would defend him as being a good singer when it comes to cleans.

And I see by your last comment that your going to the dark side of the "lick whatever comes out of Anders ass" fanboys.

Do you really think that people will waste time talking about something they don't like. Do you really think I would waste my time complaining about new album if I wasn't a fan for so long? I've got all their albums, ep's, singles, the limited editions from ASOP and SOAPF as well as the vinyl singles they released the last years and you still dare to judge me and treat me like a fake fan. You are nothing more than a brat complaining about not everybody loving the band. Again, listen to the video from RN and tell me he is singing good, nor great, nor Pavarotti, simply good, without feeling shame.

Last, if you think people won't buy albums from bad singers you've never seen Kate Perry live on tv (and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany more).

Good post Jester Slave. I agree totally with what you just said. No one has ever claimed Anders is a perfect singer. He has a unique voice, which is why some people hate him while many also love him.

so you think Anders does good cleans live? Really? Are you being honest about this? I'm not saying he's the worst singer out there, I'm not complaining about his voice, I like his voice, but, as I said to Jester Slave, listen to RN live and tell me he's doing well.

so you think Anders does good cleans live? Really? Are you being honest about this? I'm not saying he's the worst singer out there, I'm not complaining about his voice, I like his voice, but, as I said to Jester Slave, listen to RN live and tell me he's doing well.

No I said that some people hate his singing and some don't. Technically, he's never been neither a good singer or growler. What seems to work for him is that he's good at conveying a good feeling regardless if it's (IMO) powerful feeling like in Food For the Gods, or if it's like a sense of desperation in his voice in the chorus of Paralyzed.

Do I think he did a good job on the RN live video? Yes. Is he doing it the exact same way as on the album? No.

I hate bands who perform songs the exact same way as on the albums, sings the same notes on songs and growls the same. Mixing it up is much better imo. A good example is when Anders throws in random death growls in songs, and also when he speaks/sings instead of screaming, like in the OFTW verse some times for example. Predictability becomes boring after a while. Of the 5 times I've seen IF live, I think I've heard The Mirror's Truth and Cloud Connected on all shows, and they haven't sounded the same on either show. Of course they sound like the actual songs, but you understand what I mean.

I hate bands who perform songs the exact same way as on the albums, sings the same notes on songs and growls the same. Mixing it up is much better imo. A good example is when Anders throws in random death growls in songs, and also when he speaks/sings instead of screaming, like in the OFTW verse some times for example. Predictability becomes boring after a while. Of the 5 times I've seen IF live, I think I've heard The Mirror's Truth and Cloud Connected on all shows, and they haven't sounded the same on either show. Of course they sound like the actual songs, but you understand what I mean.

I agree and eg. Opeth even though I love them, I get a bit bored in their shows as they sound exactly the same as the album. But I still think that Anders is having difficulty pulling off the studio vocals (either growls or singing) and thats why he mixes things up live, which can result to a hit or miss live.

18 hours ago I was listening to RN live which will most probably be a staple in the forthcoming IF tours. The Paralyzed-Through Oblivion-Rusted Nail trio from the album are amazing and very very energetic live. Through oblivion surprised me the most but I'll talk about it later.

As for cleans, I did not say I love them or that they are amazing; I don't hate them, that's all. Listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora then listen to Live In Texas. Chester is missing every single note, but he has two saving graces: he shouts like a madman and he is really into his singing which affects the crowd as well.

Katy Perry sings well on the albums, and if she is shit live (never seen it, dunno) then people won't buy tickets. IF sells records and tickets as well.

Do you really think that people will waste time talking about something they don't like. Do you really think I would waste my time complaining about new album if I wasn't a fan for so long? I've got all their albums, ep's, singles, the limited editions from ASOP and SOAPF as well as the vinyl singles they released the last years and you still dare to judge me and treat me like a fake fan. You are nothing more than a brat complaining about not everybody loving the band. Again, listen to the video from RN and tell me he is singing good, nor great, nor Pavarotti, simply good, without feeling shame.
Well, man, if my options are being a brat or a broken old record, I'd definitely take the first one. Great, you bought all the albums of a band whose singer you consider mediocore at best and now you complain he is not good. Amazing, but at the end of the day it's your money, so I really can't judge you.

Keep nitpicking all you want, they delivered the fuck out of In Flames last night, and I'd want the cost of my ticket back if it was not Anders at the stage but Celine Dion herself with the most top-notch cleans ever. Hell, some of you were complaining about his moves, stating he acted like a rapper. Like really, is this your mission or what the hell? No, I don't lick Anders' ass, I will give him shit for Monsters In The Ballroom for example, but being a fanboy is still a million times better than being a bitter, nitpicky guy.
Damn, Anders wear hats! Fuck, he has a glass now! jesus christ, his cleans are nothing like Sinatra's! He wears a shirt! Look at his shoes! Look how he moves, is he Eminem??! ... just amazing, I genuinely hope these are your biggest concerns in life.

No I said that some people hate his singing and some don't. Technically, he's never been neither a good singer or growler. What seems to work for him is that he's good at conveying a good feeling regardless if it's (IMO) powerful feeling like in Food For the Gods, or if it's like a sense of desperation in his voice in the chorus of Paralyzed.

That's my pont. Should a band focus on the singing abilities of someone who's not really a good (I like his oice but I think he's average) singer?

And is Bjorn right when he says that Jesper's not a live good guitarrist while saying that Anders is a very good singer? Is Anders live better than Jesper? I don't think so.

Of course, that's why I like singers like Bruce Dickinson. But, the problem with Anders is that, even if he wanted, he couldn't sing some songs like he did on studio.