In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

They really need to start playing Behind Space live again. I appreciate they couldn't play it live at every show, Anders' vocals would be destroyed :D but throw it in for a few shows at least. If the crowd stay dead for this then they're a bunch of dickheads anyway.

I'd take out TCP, which is a shitty and way too long song to play live anyway, and throw in a couple of older songs in its place. Pick from Behind Space/Moonshield/Artifacts/Graveland/The Jester Race/Jotun/The Hive/Episode 666... make it fucking so you sellout fuckers :D

How good was that song in the Hammersmith show from the dvd, damn.

Bold - That's what I'm saying. There's no reason not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but the fashion came after, or with, the success. The band started to get big and this is what happened. And I read page 1 of this thread just now. I didn't realize that Bjorn and Anders wrote all the music. That doesn't surprise me and explains a lot. I prefer when music is written by guitarists and drummers and the vocal lines and lyrics are from the front man. There's a reason they sing and don't play anything. Anders is tone deaf and Bjorn is lazy (his own words). This is not a good combination for a band, any band, when writing music. It clearly worked against them on this release (I'll call it a release. Can't call it an album).

Anyone else heard the new Hammock? What the fuck happened to that band. I mean Departure Songs is like one of the best post-rock albums ever made, if not the best. Maybe the best example of how simple guitar melodies can be amazing in their simplicity. But this album like the last pos is just more keyboards and crappy buildups that go nowhere. Such a disappointment.

Your first paragraph is so right.

This^? I would like it if I was on mushrooms and standing at the top of a mountain :)

How good was that song in the Hammersmith show from the dvd, damn.

Bold - That's what I'm saying. There's no reason not to.

The Sticky Fingers & Hammersmith shows are both incredible. Sticky Fingers is easily the best set list In Flames have had during their modern period. Even the STYE songs sound great. Jesper looks like he's having fun as well, especially during the second set of older songs (which sound incredible live, fuck Anders and Bjorn for suggesting they don't).

Sad to think that ten years later they go from that to looking and sounding like an emo-rock band. Watching the Used and Abused DVD just reminds me how far they've fallen.

The Sticky Fingers & Hammersmith shows are both incredible. Sticky Fingers is easily the best set list In Flames have had during their modern period. Even the STYE songs sound great. Jesper looks like he's having fun as well, especially during the second set of older songs (which sound incredible live, fuck Anders and Bjorn for suggesting they don't).

Sad to think that ten years later they go from that to looking and sounding like an emo-rock band. Watching the Used and Abused DVD just reminds me how far they've fallen.

I was greatly (and pleasantly) surprised (f**k now I'm eating the words) how good the songs sounded on that dvd, even Anders is doing a good job.

When I was 14 I had one of those portable dvd players and every roadtrip my parents would take us on I had those 2 disks on the whole time.

I was greatly (and pleasantly) surprised (f**k now I'm eating the words) how good the songs sounded on that dvd, even Anders is doing a good job.

1:05-1:08

1:55 as well

The audio is not the same as the video. Did they re-record every song in a studio and use that sound instead?

I think the Hammersmith show is legit but the Sticky Fingers set is definitely not the actual live sound :guh:

When I was 14 I had one of those portable dvd players and every roadtrip my parents would take us on I had those 2 disks on the whole time.

1:05-1:08

1:55 as well

The audio is not the same as the video. Did they re-record every song in a studio and use that sound instead?

I think the Hammersmith show is legit but the Sticky Fingers set is definitely not the actual live sound :guh:

That's strange. Re-recording it's a posillity, at least some parts. I remember an old interview with one of Deep Purple's members, I think it was Ritchie Blackmore talkink about Made in Japan or Nobody's Perfect (I cant remember well wich of those), and he said that they use to arrange in studio (that's re-recording) the parts they think sounded weird (or not too good).

So, there's a chance that almost every band out there is doing the same.

When it comes to live DVD releases, most bands will record one show at a certain location - but record audio at multiple locations, and generally use the best audio in conjunction with the video. That way if the singer has an off day when they're recording video, they can use audio from previous gigs instead. It makes sense really. You only have to watch the Live in Seoul 2002 show In Flames did to see how Anders' voice can get fucked up after too many older songs.

If I listen to the songs in that DVD, even those from R2R and STYE, I seriously doubt that the new fans they can get with SC will like to listen to any of those songs. My opinion, 5 years more an no Trigger, no System (I love that song), no Cloud Connected nor even Touch of Red, Borders And Shading or Dial 595. Maybe The Quiet Place or My Sweet Shadow, but I also have doubts about those songs. This talking about the songs we can find on U&A. If we talk about later albums, maybe they can Play Come Clarity (the song) and some songs from ASOP, obviously TCP. But their shows will be mainly songs post Jesper departure.

When it comes to live DVD releases, most bands will record one show at a certain location - but record audio at multiple locations, and generally use the best audio in conjunction with the video. That way if the singer has an off day when they're recording video, they can use audio from previous gigs instead.

Not quite. It's simply overdubbing specific parts in the studio after the footage and raw audio has been recorded. They just set the guitars and mic levels for as close to the actual performance audio as they can get it, and record over the parts they felt could have been done better, usually with a video screen for the vocalist so they can try to match the movement of their lips, or otherwise cut away to a shot of another member during that portion so no one will notice. It's a common practice utilized by virtually every band for live releases these days, just to make the product sound as professional as possible.

Example: Someone I know went to see Dream Theater in 2006 at the concert that was recorded for their Score DVD, and during one of the songs, the guitar completely cut out in one of the solos. Since they didn't want such a glaring fuck-up on the DVD, they recorded that solo in the studio afterwards and mixed it into the live audio, so when you watch the final product, you'd never know it happened unless you were actually there in person.

That may happen sometimes, but I read an interview some time ago with a producer (might have been Nordstrom) who confirmed that quite often multiple audios from various performances are recorded and used as appropriate. Come to think of it he may have been talking about audio only releases, I can't really remember...

Either way, Anders has never been that consistent vocally throughout an entire show so I'm pretty sure that U&A utilises other methods to ensure his voice is good the whole way through :D

Most definitely it's touched up. It's not just him though. Just look at the performance of Food for the Gods on there, and pay attention to Jesper's solo bit. Not only does it look like he's playing something totally different for half of it, but at the ending he does a pick-slide and goes back to playing rhythm, while on the audio the last note is still sustained. And all the while the camera is focused on him. It's like they didn't even try to cover up that it's overdubbed.

3:07 - 3:12 for those too lazy to look for themselves.

Many many bands will rerecord parts for live DVD releases. There are plenty of shows on youtube that were bootleg where they sound amazing though.

Also, I'm not surprised about the part Jesper did, he can be pretty sloppy live sometimes.

Is not like Björn is a guitar hero. Listen at the solo from soapf from Rusia that Plainvanilla posted a couple of posts above.

Bjorn is lazy as fuck with guitar solos live. He regularly butchers the OFTW solo.

The Bullet Ride performance you uploaded Vanilla is great as well. That breakdown.

How amaze. The bass turned up = such a groovy track to hear live. Anders' fry screams sound perfectly fine since no one would expect him to growl the song in the first place and I happen to enjoy this song screamed. Idk how they could ever bring this back though since Niclas is the rhythm guitarist and the lead guitar melody was always played by Jesper who was as well. Shame they didn't play the last chorus though. I've seen them do that in other live videos of this song live around the same era.