In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

What do you mean by playback?

It's like they're not playing the songs live. (For me anyway) Most of the crowd noises sounds fake.

Check this out. Start watching at 2.58

Thing that Jesper plays different from the actual sound. And did you see the pickslide?

Besides, Anders vocals makes me wonder if they're really playing it live or not..

Last edited by a moderator:
This was probably talked about a bit, but I don't understand why they are playing Resin. I mean, I love the song and it should be played live, but I don't feel like it's a song that would get "new IF" fans into their older stuff. I feel like faster songs such as Food for the Gods or Morphing into Primal would be easy for them to get into at first. That's why they were playing The Hive for a while. Or maybe I should say that's what I thought In Flames thought. Clearly they can play the slower older songs and people will react positively. They seriously have no reason not to play any old song. I don't know why I'm bringing this up as we've all said it a hundred times. Oh well. I will say though that they should take out The Chosen Pessimist and play two other songs instead. I like the song, but I wouldn't want to hear it live.

First 3 tracks are really good. Last 2 are ok

1, 3 and 5 are awesome. 2 and 4 are meh.

This was probably talked about a bit, but I don't understand why they are playing Resin. I mean, I love the song and it should be played live, but I don't feel like it's a song that would get "new IF" fans into their older stuff. I feel like faster songs such as Food for the Gods or Morphing into Primal would be easy for them to get into at first. That's why they were playing The Hive for a while. Or maybe I should say that's what I thought In Flames thought. Clearly they can play the slower older songs and people will react positively. They seriously have no reason not to play any old song. I don't know why I'm bringing this up as we've all said it a hundred times. Oh well. I will say though that they should take out The Chosen Pessimist and play two other songs instead. I like the song, but I wouldn't want to hear it live.
I don't think they WANT new fans to get into the old stuff. I was watching a 2005 interview with Anders the other day, and even then he talked about the 100 guitar layers in old tracks and how it's a chore to play them, so it's not like they just came up with it 2 years ago to make it an excuse. I also played around with setlist fm and checked some average setlists for older tours, as old as the 2002 ones. Man, some had 2-3 at best from pre Clayman and it was without having 4-5 album less with additional material.

Now, why Resin instead of xy is a good question. Why was it The Hive last year?

Again with the lame excuses. If they go with infinite vocal layers and lot of programming and keyboards and still play the songs live they can do the same with old sobgs.

Again with the lame excuses. If they go with infinite vocal layers and lot of programming and keyboards and still play the songs live they can do the same with old sobgs.

It's not that they can't play those songs at all, but they just don't like how they turn out, even if comparing to songs with vocal layers, though many songs have pre-recorded vocals for live.

I don't know how pre-recorded guitars would sound live, I'm not sure if I ever heard about such a thing to begin with. Anyway, not sure why is it hard to get over the facts that
1. they don't think those sound as good live as (some?) newer songs
2. fan reactions seem to suggest the same (don't call me out on this one, it's Anders and co. who played hundreds of shows facing the crowds, not me)

I'm not saying you should leave it be; if you find it atrocious, call them out, but don't come up with things, that technically they could be played, or you and 10 other guy would like to hear them very much. I really don't see how are those points arguable, when one of them is subjective for them, and unless someone has been on dozens of IF shows throughout the last 10 years (at least), I think they know better how the crowds react.

I'm still confident that after they finish with the promitional tour, more oldies will surface, though it's possible they won't go further than Clayman.

First 3 tracks are really good. Last 2 are ok

I think the whole EP is amazing. Favorite track is easily track 5, Forever Lost In Vain. The clean vocal melodies are just amazing. Also love the ''breakdown'' around 3min as well, sounds sick with good speakers.

Amazing clip of Resin, great crowd also, and you definitely can't claim that the majority of the crowd is not enjoying crowd.

Considering that OFTW is one of those songs with múltiple guitar layers I can only think they're lying about the impossibility of playing old songs live. Also, excepto for Clayman there aren't so many layers in the old songs.
Last. They playa live what people wants to listen at. They play resin. So people wants to listen to Resin live.

I think the whole EP is amazing. Favorite track is easily track 5, Forever Lost In Vain. The clean vocal melodies are just amazing. Also love the ''breakdown'' around 3min as well, sounds sick with good speakers.

I really like all 5 a lot. I might just put them on the Living Infinite album in my iTunes so I can listen to all 25 straight through.

Considering that OFTW is one of those songs with múltiple guitar layers I can only think they're lying about the impossibility of playing old songs live. Also, excepto for Clayman there aren't so many layers in the old songs.
Last. They playa live what people wants to listen at. They play resin. So people wants to listen to Resin live.

Better than The Hive!

As for OFTW, you know it's one of their catchiest song ever.

Better than The Hive!

As for OFTW, you know it's one of their catchiest song ever.

Sure, but the matter is about the impossibility of playing songs with many guitar layers live, not if they're catchy or not.

Also the Hive is better than Resin.

Also listen to any album prior to Clayman and tell how is dificult to play any of those songs live remembering that they played all those songs countless times in the past.

They play Resin because they wanted to play that song. People do like it but thye couldn't know that before. And they're not saying any song is impossible to play live (although maybe December Flower for example would be, with the solo), they are saying the songs aren't done justice (in their opinion).

Resin, you're right. Old songs, I don't see how to any song from Colony, Whoracle or TJR can be applied the "Not Doing Justice" excuse they do, though I understand to some songs from Clayman. Do you really think that Episode 666, Fod For the Gods or Embody the Invisible sound that bad live? I do not. My opinion is that they don't like those albums anymore and that they play some of those songs from time to time to keep the old fans happy.

Also, if they talk about justice, they shouldn't have never recorded Alias the way they did, because Anders will never sing the song live the way he did at studio. But, again, those are the contradictions from the band.

Jesper's probably the only member of the band who enjoyed playing the older stuff. Daniel and Peter weren't even in the band until 1999, Bjorn was on drums until 1999, Engelin has only been an official member for a couple of years and Anders clearly doesn't have any major love for the older songs. It's a miracle that anything ever gets played pre-1999 (and now it isn't at all).

That's the point. They sould be honest about it instead of going on with the excuses, after all they are gown men with children.

Resin, you're right. Old songs, I don't see how to any song from Colony, Whoracle or TJR can be applied the "Not Doing Justice" excuse they do, though I understand to some songs from Clayman. Do you really think that Episode 666, Fod For the Gods or Embody the Invisible sound that bad live? I do not. My opinion is that they don't like those albums anymore and that they play some of those songs from time to time to keep the old fans happy.

Also, if they talk about justice, they shouldn't have never recorded Alias the way they did, because Anders will never sing the song live the way he did at studio. But, again, those are the contradictions from the band.

Dude, they have just played Embody the Invisible during the last 4-5 years or so basically, not on this tour though. Episode 666 they played last I think 2010 or something. Food for the Gods was a long time ago though. They've played The Hive and especially in 2008 they played a bunch of older tracks. I think more than some of the songs they feel won't work good, and some others that they've played before they don't feel they get a good enough reponse from it.

Jesper's probably the only member of the band who enjoyed playing the older stuff. Daniel and Peter weren't even in the band until 1999, Bjorn was on drums until 1999, Engelin has only been an official member for a couple of years and Anders clearly doesn't have any major love for the older songs. It's a miracle that anything ever gets played pre-1999 (and now it isn't at all).

Doubt it since Daniel is one of the guys in the band who listens to the heaviest music still. Also when Daniel made the two Sacrilege albums ins 1996 and 1997 he said he was a super fan of In Flames when he did those albums. Also Björn only played drums until 1998. But it's easy to pin it on Anders controlling if there are old songs on the setlists, although you have no idea how their talks or discussions are when they are making the setlists.