In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

IF are going to perform When the World Explodes with Emilia Feldt on the Stockholm and Gothenburg dates when they record the DVD, only time they will perform it, awesome.

I'm still hoping for A New Dawn. It would be awesome.

eochaid
And the keyboards are going to sound really great live.

Whats with the keyboard obsession? They playing keyboards from tape like decades. And now it's a problem?

Dear God what have they done to the colour scheme?

More important, who the fuck is in charge of this board anyway? :D

Dear God what have they done to the colour scheme?

More important, who the fuck is in charge of this board anyway? :D

They added the SC artwork in the background, they usually do it on other bands subforums as well, such as CoB and DT. There is no moderator on this board, it's most likely the ultimate metal admin that added it.

It is indeed. But I like the beige color, it's a nice contrast to the darker ones we've had over the years. Noticed on the ''IN FLAMES'' at the top it links to inflames.com as well.

Something I just thought of today by the way is how fucking good Where the Dead Ships Dwell is, that thick bassline during the verses is so nice, didn't think of it that much until randomly today while listening to it. I love when metal bands lets the bass shine from time to time. Also, depending on band, can sound quite heavy with just the drums, bass & vocals. ATG did it a few times on the new record as well, really works great if you do it correctly.

Where The Dead Ships Dwell is one of the best songs they've released over their modern period. One of the few songs where Anders' clean vocals sound really powerful, the chorus lines give me chills if I'm in the right mood. The words connect with me because I know that feeling, and for once the lyrics aren't emo or obvious... they're clever and powerful at the same time.

Doesn't even sound like Anders singing on that record, especially that song. Is it him or a guest singer? Sounds like the guy from any other nu metal band. Listening to it now. Not a fan of the simplistic riffing and vocals/chorus. The keyboards, though, are ok because they're not overbearing (at least not until 1:41...wtf is that supposed to be?).

It sounds exactly like Anders :D he sounds the same on the entire SOAPF record, it's easily his best clean vocal performance on any In Flames album. Could you link to some nu metal vocalists who sound like that, as an aside? I'd be interested to hear them.

Tuomas writes amazing melodies and riffs, and I like a bunch of songs from BTD, but just can't stand his vocals, they bore me. So monotonous. That is literally the reason why I don't listen to his music that much. Same with Insomnium for me. The vocals are somewhat similar in the two bands, and they both use acoustic passages and have a melanchonic vibe to their melodies and riffs. To me, it just gets boring because much of it sounds so similar after a while.

To me I would describe it as sad-sounding melodies/riffs. I more prefer powerful/angry ones, or happy sounding ones.

Just a few examples of what I mean, kinda.

Powerful/angry being something like this, first minute especially.

Or this, best part is around 01:00-01:55, it's so fucking sick.

And Happy being maybe something in the vein of this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for something soft, you should definetly check the new Marilyn Manson song. Awesome.

Insomnium's weakest point is definitely the vocals but they're not bad. The clean vocals they use are bad, but the growling does the job. Either way, the melodies are so good (usually, except for the 2014 album...one of their weakest) it doesn't matter. Just listen to Equivalence + Down with the Sun. That is some powerful riffing going on. Also, Against The Stream has great, melancholic riff work. I like the happy sounding stuff if it's done well, like early IF and Skyfire, but I usually prefer the sad, sorrowful melodies of Wolfheart, Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Hypocrisy, etc. I find Amon Amarth to be good but over rated. I don't hear any progression in their albums.

Since you seem to like Finnish melodeath, do you like Amorphis? I really dig all of their albums with Tomi. He's got great clean vocals and growls. AA hasn't really progressed that much in their career indeed, but they're the best at what they do. Don't like Evergrey really, listened a bit to the new album.

I only really care for early Amorphis; their sound was so majestic on their first record and early EP's. I stopped listening to them a long while ago, and then picked up Circle (2013 or 2012, can't remember) and disliked it at first but it grew on me after a few listens. Everything inbetween was listened to years ago and I remember it being ok, but again not close to the old material.

Another obvious band that must be mentioned is Kalmah. Their first 4 albums are near perfect. The entirety of the first 4 records is amazing, not just 'good', but amazing. Not a bad song. And then they changed and turned into a more catchy, modern version of their former selves. The last 3 or 4 albums are all pretty much crap (hate to say it but it's true). Same thing happened to Skyfire. Damn, these two bands used to occupy a lot of my time. Those were the days.

The chorus melody/riffing in the song below is remarkable. These guys had such a sense of melody.

Kalmah is one of my favorite bands as well. Last album I really didn't really enjoy anything, the production is so weird. 12 Gauge had a couple good songs, favorite one being Godeye. For the Revolution also had a couple good songs, but as you say, the first 4 albums are when they were the best. My favorite solo of all time is the one in The Blind Leader, nothing beats it. Possibly the solo in Winter Madness by Wintersun. Skyfire I know about but haven't really listened that much too, a bit to rough production. The leap between Swampsong and Black Waltz was also bigger than previous albums, and he started using his death growl a lot more, which I really like though.
You gotta love the intro to Time Takes Us All. But The Groan of Wind is probably the catchiest song on that album, imo.

Another great finnish band is Norther, especially the debut album Dreams of Endless War. Sick guitar melodies combined with keyboard.
Just listen to this guitar/keyboard twin melody, starts around 1:25ish.

Btw, you must know about the band Sacrilege right? Otherwise I am disappointed.