In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Kalmah, Norther, (Imperanon etc)... :cringe

Wolfheart thingy is just marginally better then other 139385 similar Tuomas Saukkonen bands.

How could you like In Flames but 'cringe' at these other bands? They all easily approach the greatness of early In Flames, some are just as good, and bands like Kalmah and At the Gates are actually far better than In Flames even taking their early material into account. The first 4 Kalmah records are, song for song, better than the first 4 In Flames records. The musicianship is better, the songs are structured far better, the vocals are more dimensional and the melodies are different; they're not happy, they're sorrowful and intensely dark, but definitely stronger note for note. Regardless of whether or not you agree, it's still illogical to like IF and 'cringe' at the other bands. I mean really. And Wolfheart is great for their refusal to use clean vocals alone.

Krofius, I have heard of Sacrilege but have not yet listened to them. They worth checking out? Post some samples if you want. The Norther album is good. Reminds me of early Children of Bodom like Follow the Reaper, which is an amazing album (and their only "great" record). I would highly recommend Skyfire to you. Their albums are not that highly produced, but it doesn't matter really, given the quality of what you'll find in them. These guys had, like I mentioned before, an almost uncanny gift for melody. Upon first listen some of the songs sound over the top they're so melodic, but then you keep listening and realize that everything actually works. I would start with Spectral and then move from there.

Another obvious band to add that I forgot is Sentenced. Although their sound changed numerous times, North From Here still remains one of the best melodic death metal records (as well as one of the earliest, since they were among the pioneers of the early 90's developing this style). The riffs are unorthodox and the melodies almost schizophrenic in their delivery. The bass is awesome, too. A great record that's always overlooked by or unknown to the newer generation of melodic death metal fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Norther are just a cheap Bodom rip off :D if I want to listen to Bodom I think I'll just listen to Bodom.

I downloaded some Kalmah a while ago and found them boring as fuck. Maybe I'll give them another try.

And Wolfheart is great for their refusal to use clean vocals alone

:D Yes, to hell with actual singing, the curse of all music.

How could you like In Flames but 'cringe' at these other bands? ... The first 4 Kalmah records are, song for song, better than the first 4 In Flames records.

As usual DE4life views mirror my own.

I downloaded some Kalmah a while ago and found them boring as fuck.

Yep, boring as fuck. I nearly fell asleep trying to listen the first 3 Kalmah records. Swamp this, swamp that.

When I hear those Finnish power/death metal bands with mediocre screaming, same-ish rhythms, neoclassical wanking and cheap keys, predictable song structures... ugh!

Early Amorphis or Sentenced are much better.

Krofius, I have heard of Sacrilege but have not yet listened to them. They worth checking out? Post some samples if you want. The Norther album is good. Reminds me of early Children of Bodom like Follow the Reaper, which is an amazing album (and their only "great" record). I would highly recommend Skyfire to you. Their albums are not that highly produced, but it doesn't matter really, given the quality of what you'll find in them. These guys had, like I mentioned before, an almost uncanny gift for melody. Upon first listen some of the songs sound over the top they're so melodic, but then you keep listening and realize that everything actually works. I would start with Spectral and then move from there.
If they are any good? They are on par with early In Flames, no joke. I think you already knew it but it's Daniel Svensson doing the vocals + drums. Daniel's vocals is beastly and you can see his real drumming abilities as well.
Both albums are pretty much equally good imo. Some difference in the vocals, first album he's mostly death growling, and second album he's mostly doing his screams.

Here's two great songs:
First Album, parts that start at 3:35 is especially good.

Second Album

I can honestly say while having heard of the band but not listened to them, I did NOT know that Daniel did the vocals (and drumming). Is that really him? You know, I don't think I've ever heard his voice, not in any interviews or any clips online. Judging by his photos I assumed he had a very soft, shy voice. Those songs are actually really good. Thanks for posting.

And I'm laughing my fucking ass into the sofa at Kalmah being 'boring'. Holy fuck. Changing tempos, changing melodies, 100 riffs in each song. I mean, really, how can you get bored? What are you looking for in this style of music?

Why would you want 100 riffs in each song? You seem to believe that the more complex music is the better it must sound, just by default :D throw in hundreds of melodies and song structure loses all meaning. That's not to say Kalmah do this, but to just throw out constant changes in melody and tempo as "positive" is pretty short-sighted. In fact it's very similar to the Nu In Flames fans argument of "they change style every album therefore it is good".

Turns out, sometimes it isn't.

And I'm laughing my fucking ass into the sofa at Kalmah being 'boring'. Holy fuck. Changing tempos, changing melodies, 100 riffs in each song. I mean, really, how can you get bored? What are you looking for in this style of music?

Changing between boring melodies, changing between boring riffs...

You can make a good song based on one good riff and you can make five boring albums with 1000 mediocre riffs.

Their music just doesn't do it for me. Nothing that evokes any kind of emotion and nothing that is musically really interesting or fresh. It's not terrible, it's just... flat.

One Tranquility's maze pisses over complete Kalmah discography.

I can honestly say while having heard of the band but not listened to them, I did NOT know that Daniel did the vocals (and drumming). Is that really him? You know, I don't think I've ever heard his voice, not in any interviews or any clips online. Judging by his photos I assumed he had a very soft, shy voice. Those songs are actually really good. Thanks for posting.

Yep it is him. I was quite shocked to hear that voice come out of him when it for the first time as well, didn't sound like him at first. And this is when he was only 18-19 as well.

Why would you want 100 riffs in each song? You seem to believe that the more complex music is the better it must sound, just by default :D throw in hundreds of melodies and song structure loses all meaning. That's not to say Kalmah do this, but to just throw out constant changes in melody and tempo as "positive" is pretty short-sighted. In fact it's very similar to the Nu In Flames fans argument of "they change style every album therefore it is good".

Turns out, sometimes it isn't.

You misunderstood my argument like those before you. I never implied that anyone would 'want' X many riffs in a song. And I also never said that 'the more complex the music, the better is must sound'. And it has literally nothing to do with any sort of 'In Flames argument about' 'changing style'.

Changing between boring melodies, changing between boring riffs... [/quote

Really? I'd love for you to give me an example, as an In Flames fan, of some good riffs.

[quote[ One Tranquility's maze pisses over complete Kalmah discography.

You mean the song I posted above, called Tranquility's Maze? I agree it's great, but 'shits all over the entire Kalmah discography?' Surely not. I love the hyperbole, though.

You misunderstood my argument like those before you. I never implied that anyone would 'want' X many riffs in a song. And I also never said that 'the more complex the music, the better is must sound'. And it has literally nothing to do with any sort of 'In Flames argument about' 'changing style'.

So basically your argument was if a song has 100 riffs and is changing tempo and melodies all the time it can't be boring? Which is even more ridiculous :D

Well, actually, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds. I'm defining 'boring' as the inability to keep one's attention. Say nothing about how one interprets the music, note for note. But if you really listen to a song and concentrate, constant riff and tempo changes and bridges in the music simply force you to notice, by their nature, since they're not repetitive. That's all. It's quite easy to understand. Now, if you don't like what you hear then that's fine but it's something else...

Well, actually, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds. I'm defining 'boring' as the inability to keep one's attention. Say nothing about how one interprets the music, note for note. But if you really listen to a song and concentrate, constant riff and tempo changes and bridges in the music simply force you to notice, by their nature, since they're not repetitive. That's all. It's quite easy to understand. Now, if you don't like what you hear then that's fine but it's something else...

Concentrating on something that doesn't catch your interest isn't going to fix it from being boring. If it doesn't click with someone, it doesn't.

1000 riffs in 1 song is not a good excuse of a song being good. Guitar wanketry does not define a good song. Shredding does not define a good guitarist.

There's so much more elements than just "technicality" that make up a song. The texture, the tonality, the structure, the mood, and so much more.

A repetitive song can be really good. A simple song can be really good. It depends on how it was designed, not how much notes are crammed in the song.

Thanks for saving me the need to simplify my explanation even further ... although it may still be too out-there for this fellow to grasp ...

Damn...

OK, let's take a look at this song:

Generic power/heavy riff, random generic solo, few adjacent notes thrown together to form a simplest possible melody with generic, not so good, screaming over that (vocal melody also generic and painfully simple), generic solo number 2, back to melody and "singing", decent variation of heavy riff, generic slow solo number 3, more generic singing with that terrible Bodom/ETOS keys color and even more generic content, more generic screaming, end.

That pretty much sums up their whole career minus a few above the average songs.

So, in this case 3 solos does not make a song interesting.

It's full of obvious choices and as mundane as it gets. I really struggle to think of another thing that would make this song more generic then it already is.

They should have called it "Random Finnish melodic death/power song 233".

Concentrating on something that doesn't catch your interest isn't going to fix it from being boring. If it doesn't click with someone, it doesn't.

1000 riffs in 1 song is not a good excuse of a song being good. Guitar wanketry does not define a good song. Shredding does not define a good guitarist.

There's so much more elements than just "technicality" that make up a song. The texture, the tonality, the structure, the mood, and so much more.

A repetitive song can be really good. A simple song can be really good. It depends on how it was designed, not how much notes are crammed in the song.

+1

The vocalist for Kalmah also seems to have no variation whatsoever. The growls have no emotion or power in them at all.

Damn...

OK, let's take a look at this song:

Generic power/heavy riff, random generic solo, few adjacent notes thrown together to form a simplest possible melody with generic, not so good, screaming over that (vocal melody also generic and painfully simple), generic solo number 2, back to melody and "singing", decent variation of heavy riff, generic slow solo number 3, more generic singing with that terrible Bodom/ETOS keys color and even more generic content, more generic screaming, end.

That pretty much sums up their whole career minus a few above the average songs.

So, in this case 3 solos does not make a song interesting.

It's full of obvious choices and as mundane as it gets. I really struggle to think of another thing that would make this song more generic then it already is.

They should have called it "Random Finnish melodic death/power song 233".

+1

While They Will Return is likely Kalmah's worst album; I could not hate you more right now.

Everything you said is complete bollocks.
Something akin to saying "Embody the Invisibles leads are nothing except a few simplistic strung together in a scale".

Bah.

Wow, A88 has just earned himself a lifelong nemesis by the looks of it :D don't disrespect Kalmah when Cobra's around, he will never forget it.