In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

A very good setlist by modern standards.

Part of me is surprised by the exclusion of so many SC songs, part of me isn't. It's a bad album which I can't see translating very well live. I can see it going the way of STYE, quietly fading away in their live sets. Although STYE was a superior album and those songs at least had a decent run in the setlists before almost entirely disappearing.

I hope the reason for this change is the band understanding and accepting the overwhelming disappointment at their latest attempt. Perhaps it will spur them on to do much better next time.
IF still give the same interviews, where they state they learned how to make songs which translates well into the live environment, so whether you or me agree with that sentiment, they won't just magically take an 180. They honestly think that SC is good and the songs are good live.

However, after the live DVD there were no reason to overpopulate the set with SC songs and they might even listened to the fans who wanted at least a little more diversity in the set. The only time they pretty much admitted "okay, this sucks" is when they got rid of Monsters In A Ballroom (WHICH I GOT TO SEE, BE JELLY!!) in favor for TQP. Still not sure how did they even thought about not having ANY STYE song in the set, while playing MitB.

The only songs played off STYE these days are TQP and MSS.

I think SC will fall to a similar fate, a couple of songs ultimately in the setlist in the future but mostly songs from R2R, CC, ASOP :rolleyes: and SOAPF.

Come Clarity has a pretty terrible representation overall. TTL is a staple, and that's all. Maybe another song from the trio of CC/Crawl/Leeches will surface into the setlist, maybe not. Basically, if Paralyzed remains a staple and they keep at least one more song from SC, it's already rivaling CC. Even R2R is just CC+pick one or two from Trigger/System/Drifter.

I haven't really been interested in Soilwork since FNF... I did listen to the double album they put out but couldn't really get into it.

Come Clarity has a pretty terrible representation overall. TTL is a staple, and that's all. Maybe another song from the trio of CC/Crawl/Leeches will surface into the setlist, maybe not. Basically, if Paralyzed remains a staple and they keep at least one more song from SC, it's already rivaling CC. Even R2R is just CC+pick one or two from Trigger/System/Drifter.

I don't think so. With Anders actual way of singing those songs will sound terrible. That's my opinion, that they're not suited to his new growl.

And this Soilwork "Live in the Heart of Helsinki" is still amazing. Did any of you have a chance to watch/listen it?

Yup I downloaded the DVD, great stuff, really good. Bjorn is a fucking beast with his clean vocals live, sounds so good. Unfortunately I didn't find the small Soilwork documentary and the ''behind the scenes'' of Living Infinite recording sessions yet, really interested in that too.

By the way I posted this a few years back, Anders guest vocals on an album by the Norwegian band Grievance around 1999 in which he and Jesper collaborated on the writing and Anders did vocals on 3 tracks, and it's Symphonic Black Metal basically, and beast vocals, like a mix of Colony & Whoracle and lots of death growls. I especially like The Mask of Sin.

Last edited by a moderator:
So half a year later...

Paralyzed is OK, like the riff and the song live is alright except I wish it wasn't just that monotone riffing surrounding just explosive choruses. Maybe some kind of nice melody that accompanies the main riff. Something they could've fit in IMO.

I like Dead Eyes riffing and it's catchy although the chorus is very generic teenager-style wording.

I actually like Siren Charms(track itself) a lot. Except for lines like "the whole world can just go to hell" & "this life is killing me" as I feel they are just too "emo"-ish. But I really get into it.

The Chase is the best song for me and is more along the lines of what you'd expect from modern-day In Flames. It just feels complete and feels in both IF's traditional style as well as being more simplified like IF want to do these days with their songs simultaneously. Good riffing, catchy chorus and actual screaming.

P.S. If Eyes Wide Open had an actual solo like IF's other slow songs I'd put it up there as one of their best ballads.

I don't listen to SC any more. It'll join ASOP as one of the few In Flames albums I just have no interest in hearing again.

I'd go more with boring than whiny. You could call any album of theirs over the past 11 years whiny, the theme of the lyrics has generally been 'poor me, I hurt, life is so hard' since 2004.

There have been some exceptions to that - Superhero, Dial-595, Dead End, Vacuum, and a few others... but the vast majority of the band's lyrical content has been woe is me for a while. It got old after CC and went to absurd lengths on ASOP. Scaled back a little on SOAPF but back in full force on SC.