In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I like how Drifter sounded. Listening to Anders voice it looks like he is suffering as the show goes on. He seriously needs to take a break (not being ironic) and train his vocals.

Thanks for the Hellfest link. Thought it was really damn fucking good. I think Anders sounded great throughout actually, I don't see where you think he is fading out, last two songs sound no different with the vocals. I think it's kinda the streams fault sometimes cause the drums and guitars kinda deafen the vocals a bit, making them sound a bit weaker than they actually are. The band but especially he looks really energized, not often you see Anders jumping during Only For The Weak. I fucking love Bullet Ride as well, one of if not my favorite IF songs. And it sounds GREAT here. Especially Anders. He even throws out a oldschoolish growl at 15:33. That fucking chorus lead guitar melody always gets me as well. Drifter did indeed sound good too, seems like he's favoring the growls nowadays, he actually growled more than he screamed in Drifter, which has no growls in the studio version. He really does seem to be favoring screaming and growling lately, and it's awesome.

I think Anders sounded great throughout actually, I don't see where you think he is fading out, last two songs sound no different with the vocals. I think it's kinda the streams fault sometimes cause the drums and guitars kinda deafen the vocals a bit, making them sound a bit weaker than they actually are. The band but especially he looks really energized, not often you see Anders jumping during Only For The Weak.

By the end of the concert his clean vocals seem like broken(?). I cannot find another word to describe them. But that's my own impression.

That's because he can't sing anymore. Even the chorus of Where The Dead Ships Dwell, he is not capable of singing it anymore. How awesome is this?

As far as Krofius is concerned everything the band does is awesome, haven't you noticed?

That's because he can't sing anymore. Even the chorus of Where The Dead Ships Dwell, he is not capable of singing it anymore. How awesome is this?
Of course he can, he did it just a few months ago. Also listened to Where the Dead Ships Dwell again and I do not really agree. Only the first chorus was a bit weird. I barely even think I've ever heard him sing the choruses in that song live either more than a couple times. He mostly screams during it, either pure scream or the ASOP half-scream. Just listen to the Wacken 2012 one, he's half screaming there, and I think it sounds much worse performed that way than the Hellfest one. He does seem to scream more live now though, maybe he's just not feeling the cleans at the moment, just like he said he did not feel like screaming on Siren Charms that much. Personally I prefer him screaming and growling, so yes, I think it's awesome. Since they have backing vocals on a couple songs I think it sounds much more dynamic that he screams and having the backup cleans together, like on My Sweet Shadow.

And de4life that is not correct. Actually haven't even listened to IF that much this year. I did think this concert was really good though, yes. Personally I noticed that they had much more energy than usually and seemed to be much more into the show as well.

Also here is the official stream not the Youtube clip, it's a bit better quality on the official one.
http://concert.arte.tv/fr/flames-au-hellfest

Also for something else that I think is cool, here is some of Blizzard at Hellfest interviewing Anders & Björn
https://www.facebook.com/inflames/posts/851697228212371

For me, the older songs (basically Come Clarity backwards) were good/okay. They're still fun to listen to. The songs from ASOP onwards generally sound terrible live, though. Mainly down to the vocals, but there a noticeable decline in quality between the songs pre and post-2006.
But... but R2R... I thought you play darts with that album being the target.

So, adding all that up brings your total to 51/100, which I think falls squarely in the "I want my money back" range for going to a given concert. Naturally, Anders' blatant inability to sing is the biggest thing holding them back. Seriously guys, cut him loose already and pick up a vocalist that doesn't totally blow.

Still, vocals aside, the other big problem is that the manner in which they play most of these songs is just so lethargic, which in turn saps any and all potential energy out of the performance. Granted, a lot of that is because Daniel has to keep strictly in time with the backing track which doesn't give them any leeway to cut loose and start rocking out (maybe if they didn't write songs based around keyboards so much).
IF keeps getting invited to festivals as headliners, why would they need to change anything? And it's really cute that you think their main concert-goer audience is like you people, who pretty much loathe the newer albums (some of you make exceptions, some of you would burn everything since Clayman) and especially Anders, and just moan here like some 60 years olds that everything is still bad.

I read once the R2R release thread here, and it had the exact same fucking responses like here. Omg, Anders can't sing, it's worse and worse, fire him, he'll be their downfall.... jesus fucking christ, that guy will still be IF's vocalists 5 years from now and IF will still get invited to huge festivals, like it's been going on for more than a decade now.

And don't forget that he's a stellar frontman, he sells the shows. Not sure what do you mean they play in a lethargic way, I'm yet to find a footage which is not from an US show and the crowd is just suffering there silently. Anders does an amazing job to keep people entertained and make the shows memorable. He lives with the songs and with the crowd, and you absolutely do not have the feeling that you are watching a bunch of old wankers who are just waiting for the end so that they can get their paycheck finally.

I mean yes, we still get it that you, in fact, hate him, and it's nice to read reviews like DA4life's vocal-review for RaR, even if I don't necessarily agree with him. But when you reach some seriously retarded conclusion like that Ander's should be fired... Man, there might be someone out there who only considers himself an IF fan because while he hates everything which came after Clayman and refuses to go any IF show with Anders as the vocalist, but he is waiting for the new vocalist since 2002, meanwhile IF is as popular as ever, and in a position where they can just make an album like SC which has never been denied that it was a deliberately rushed project, and get away with it. Sure, guys with their The Jester Race shirt rotted into their skin profusely made 100 reviews stating "okay, I know I said this before, but THIS is the worst IF record now, for sure. hear me out!", which are the exact same words the majority of these guys said about STYE and ASOP, but if we base a band's popularity and success on the self-entitled hardcore fan's doomsayings, than IF stopped existing after they released R2R.

You know it very well that no one will be fired from this band, and if Anders ever left, IF would just stop existing. He's the most iconic member for your average crowd (yes, the guy in The Jester Race shirt in his cellar would say Jesper, but that guy will one day come up and the sun will instantly burn out his eyes -, hell, possibly the most iconic member among all the people who like In Flames. To my knowledge, Anders make all the lyrics. Anders is also the driving force to the band - there might be a democratic system, but it's pretty clear that Anders is the one throwing ideas in the basket. I mean, when the fucking guy who MADE the band leaves it before Anders and none of the other members follow him, you know there has been a new captain on that ship for a very long time now.

Also, listened Take This Life from Hellfest (which was around the end of the set) and Anders was fine, hell, his growls were great, so please, stay our lovely harsh IF critics who make some interesting and considerable alternate to our IF-lover opinions, and don't turn into bitches, who seriously start a discussion about replacing Anders...

He does seem to scream more live now though, maybe he's just not feeling the cleans at the moment, just like he said he did not feel like screaming on Siren Charms that much.[/url]
So fucking much this. I wonder if people here can grasp the simple concept of a band wanting to try something new, or switching things up.

I'm not saying it is definitely not coming from his inability, but it's more than funny that you don't even give him the benefit of doubt, like he's some fucking machine and you just know it better, because who needs to be in a famous metal band for more than 20 years, we just know how it is much better.

Edit: and I shouldn't have left this thread unmonitored for so long, because I had to read so many cancer at once, that now I'll have to ask for a chemotherapy.

Anders should work his voice out and train a little bit so he becomes a good singer.

[youtube]/watch?v=l_9siB_qjpA[/youtube]
If you can't hear what's wrong in this video, then you are born without ears.

Yes, he is one of the two main driving forces of the band and yes he is a great frontman, but he is not a good singer.

No, he is not, obviously.

He says himself that he doesn't work and doesn't really give a shit about it, and I say it's quite unfortunate because In Flames live shows would be way more awesome if their energic frontman was also a good singer.

He says himself that he doesn't work and doesn't really give a shit about it, and I say it's quite unfortunate because In Flames live shows would be way more awesome if their energic frontman was also a good singer.

I don't understand, and I'm being serious. What does he mean when he talks about improving his voice if he doesn't work on it?

Anders is a good frontman, but not a very good frontman.

I don't understand, and I'm being serious. What does he mean when he talks about improving his voice if he doesn't work on it?

I don't have the answer to that question, but Anders doesn't work his voice, and he doesn't train. When being asked if he does, he says that he only drinks whisky. That gives you an idea of how much shit he gives about it.

I don't think anyone argues that he should've been training his voice ever since it was obvious that IF will be a serious band, which was probably after TJR. I know that Corey Taylor (Slipknot) and the frontman of Hammerfall both went to voice teachers, and both well into their career and both of them came out stronger than ever. I believe Corey went to a teacher after Iowa, and Vol 3 Corey is just so fucking good it's ridiculous. And to this day, his voice hasn't decayed that much.

But then again, can you actually learn to scream forever? Can a man who is 11 years older than the same man who made Come Clarity pull those songs off with proper screams?

And how much do talent and genetics matter? What if Anders is in fact destined to be a mediocre singer, and going to lessons would just helped him to let's say preserve his then current voice 3 years longer, which would mean ASOP could still have somewhat CC like vocals, but that's all.

I don't now man, if he indeed did NOTHING to at least help his voice to recover during his entire career, than he is fucking metal and also fucking stupid. And not because his voice might get shittier and shittier, but because he is putting himself in a position where one day he might wakes up and suddenly his voice is just gone, so is his career as a vocalist. Sure, now he would survive it economically speaking, but 1. it's clearly his passion, so it would still do him a big emotional punch and he would have to live with that 2. it could've happen after let's STYE. Then what? He'd be a garbage man now somewhere? Or the official 6th member of IF as the mute keyboard player?

I don't now man, if he indeed did NOTHING to at least help his voice to recover during his entire career, than he is fucking metal and also fucking stupid. And not because his voice might get shittier and shittier, but because he is putting himself in a position where one day he might wakes up and suddenly his voice is just gone, so is his career as a vocalist.

Yeah it's right there, under your finger. Have a good night.

I don't think he's losing his voice a single bit. He's been growling and screaming since 89. Sure, 89-97 he said he didn't have a technique or anything he was just screaming, but he wasn't really doing high-pitched screams back then. His power or range hasn't changed that much at all. Obviously there's minor differences, but that has more to do with aging from 15-40+. I think nowadays his screams and growls sound better than ever, there's no decay at all to me. He's never been a great singer, and yes that Dead Eyes acoustic version is not good, he definitely isn't an unplugged singer. It's not like the studio version employs insanely good cleans either though lets be real.

Next album is going to be interesting how it will sound, I think it will be a bit more heavier tbh. I remember someone asking Anders on facebook like 5 months ago if he can't scream anymore since he didn't scream that much on SC and if he would scream more on the next album.

He said that his voice is fine and that he felt like singing more on this album and to check back in 2 years to see if he will be an angry (meaning he wants to scream more).

Well, ~1 year and we can listen to the new album, but it's pretty obvious that just like with their previous albums, they won't repeat this one either.

Here is a video in quite good quality of The Night Flight Orchestra performing "Living For The Nighttime" live.

[youtube]watch?v=-3BkE5ckGUc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Strid never ceases to improve his vocals!

Anders screams and growls are fine. In early May his screams sounded great in person. Sounded fresh although it was I believe the 3rd night in a row they played a show in this part of the USA.

Listen to "Bullet ride" or "Cloud Connected" from the Rock am Ring performance last week, the screams sounded great and I even remarked about how he sounded a lot like the studio version with "run down memoirs is all that's left!" right before the breakdown in Bullet ride. Or even the songs from Hellfest. He learned how to scream healthy over ten years ago... He'll be fine with that.

I honestly think he just felt like doing more singing in the studio for this album. His screams have always been there and are just fine. It makes for an awkward presentation in live shows but, yeah.

Krofius is right about them having more energy. They're getting older and just enjoying/appreciating that they're able to do this.

Look at Anders in the Delight and Angers performance at Hellfest... Up until this year he's always been goofy on stage but now he's the most animated he's ever been. Almost humorous to watch but good to see them still wanting to do this and have a great time doing it.