In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Guys, I've found this really good melodic death metal band with modern touch. It's a bit radio friendly, but it still reminds me of TJR material. Some quite brutal riffs and drumwork towards the end of the song.

Will say you're not being funny, and you're sounding as pretentious as those retards that post on In Flames facebook page despite them not liking the band anymore.

Melodic Death Metal was never meant to be brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can read all of the new interview from here

http://www.altpress.com/features/en...ster_race_part_2anders_friden_on_in_flames_ev

Pretty good interview.

I'm really enjoying the New In Flames albums so I don't need them to do another JTR or something. If they would do same records, that would be really boring. That's the thing that made In Flames special, I guess. I have an Amon Amarth example. They're doing the same album over and over again. (For me anyway) Even though I'm a really big fan of melodic death metal, I don't like AA that much.

You can read all of the new interview from here

http://www.altpress.com/features/en...ster_race_part_2anders_friden_on_in_flames_ev

Pretty good interview.

I'm really enjoying the New In Flames albums so I don't need them to do another JTR or something. If they would do same records, that would be really boring. That's the thing that made In Flames special, I guess. I have an Amon Amarth example. They're doing the same album over and over again. (For me anyway) Even though I'm a really big fan of melodic death metal, I don't like AA that much.

Thank
you

If they did another TJR, or Lunar Strain, or Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, it would ruin how special those albums are, and we wouldn't care about them anymore.

They don't have it in them to create another album like those, anyway, so it doesn't matter. Those albums were a moment in time and the band aren't at that level anymore. Musically they're far, far away from even the stuff they did on Reroute and STYE, let alone anything before that. Of course everybody has their own opinion on what sounds 'good' and 'bad' so it's not for me to say whether their movement has been positive or negative, but I'm absolutely certain that the In Flames which created the albums between 1996-2000 is stone cold dead and has been for a very long time.

Agree completely with ciko_gfb. One thing that makes IF special is listening to a new album and not knowing what to expect; and this includes older albums as they are completely different from each other. Ok, they don't always succeed with this formula (eg. ASOP wasn't good IMO) but generally all albums are varied, unique, different but consistent in quality. That for me makes them by default more interesting than any other melodic metal band.

People who have narrow criteria and rush to dismiss the band because they expect them to play either melodic death or take similar accepted routes/styles that other older and respected bands have taken, miss the point. IF have the balls to play whatever they want and will not limit themselves to what they think the fans want and that's what makes them special. People who don't understand this are wasting their time.

Also who fuckin cares if Anders has a trendy haircut.

Agree completely with ciko_gfb. One thing that makes IF special is listening to a new album and not knowing what to expect; and this includes older albums as they are completely different from each other. Ok, they don't always succeed with this formula (eg. ASOP wasn't good IMO) but generally all albums are varied, unique, different but consistent in quality. That for me makes them by default more interesting than any other melodic metal band.

So change is good no matter what? Black album, Load and St.Anger are completely different from each other, offering varied, unique, different experience. So... it's all good?

I really don't understand this talk about change. It's like IF are doing something groundbreaking and so progressive that hasn't been heard 100 times before. Well, they are not. It's not Ulver FFS.

They did melodeath - and on some level they were pioneers of the genre. Then they started doing nu metal, alt metal, alt rock, pop rock, metalcore and bunch of genres already played by other bands. Played on same level or better.

So, when band X does commercial nu metal, or some lady sings average-ish pop-rock it's "meh, who cares!". But, when IF does the same thing it's like: "WOW, they are sooo good!. Evolving, changing..." WOW, they have chugging riff. Epic! WOW, Anders sings and moans. Epic! WOW, Bjorn can do a wah-wah rock solo. Epic! I mean, come on dudes, you do listen to other music, right?

Or let us observe it from another perspective.

If TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman were done today by some unknown Romanian band, and it was released by some known label, I would listen to that shit.

If some random Lithuanian band released CC and SOAPF, I would so probably like it too. Maybe not so much, but still like it.

If some hipster-looking bunch of old dudes from a Brazil, started releasing pop, core, nu... albums and singles, I wouldn't even care. And nor would most of you unless you are big fans of that genres.

So, Celine Dion or Alicia Keys are doing both pop and singing much better than Anders. Do we have a thread on this forum where you guys can show your everlasting love for these two girls?
Where is all the Korn, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Deftones worship? Why didn't you like that Coldplay song?

What the fuck are you even talking about? There's so much stupid shit in your post.

We get that your former favorite band isn't playing the music you want to hear, stop crying. Yes, we also know that you think it sucks ass and is unoriginal, we know that also. We know that you think Anders clean vocals suck, that's nothing new either.

You know yourself comparing Anders to world-known female pop stars is completely retarded. So is comparing In Flames to Deftones and Papa Roach.

How you even bring up Celine Dion and Alicia Keys I don't understand, seriously. You mean that In Flames is doing Pop and because we like said pop, we should also like and express our tremendous love for them just because they play pop? Or what are you saying? Are you actually claiming that In Flames has even 1 song that sounds anything close to any song of Alicia Keys and/or Celine Dion?

Why don't we like the Coldplay song? Why SHOULD we like the Coldplay song A88? Because you think he is a ten times better singer than Anders? Better song structure than IF? More original?

Why don't I personally like their music? I don't like the singer that much and it sounds a bit boring to my musical taste.

They look like hipsters! The music clearly sucks! You can't have short hair and have glasses and play music that people consider good, blasphemy!

I don't understand what you are doing in the forum when you are clearly not interested in the band anymore. Almost only making bullshit posts for the sake of it and trolling as well.

HURR DURR i COMPERE ColDplAy to N'FlaymZ lul 2edgy 4 u!!!11

He's got a point though. Change isn't always good, yet in the case of In Flames the fact they always change is considered a positive attribute.

In Flames as a band can evolve/devolve however they see fit, but no fan should have to appreciate their sound just because they altered it. I really liked SOAPF and would have loved to have heard more songs in that style. I'm disappointed that they're changing direction, because for me this sounds much worse.

I don't like it when people say In Flames have "evolved", anyway. Evolution suggests something becomes better than it was before, but I think it's hard to justify saying they're better now than they were on Colony on Clayman. They're just very different.

Can't bother answering everything Krofius wrote.

But, I will say this. I'm obviously interested, or I wouldn't be here (duh!). This is "IF forum" so it's OK for me to post both positive and negative comments about IF and their music (not like I'm going on their fb page writing "fuck U, U suck, Kleyman rulezzzz!!!"). I say what I like, and I say what I don't like. This chorus good, this riff bad, this song OK, this album shit, like the drum sound, hate the guitar sound...

The point of comparing IF with CD or AK (or whatever pop artist you like) is this: Why do metalheads "hate pop" and then go listen the same shit with added distorted guitar chord in the background ("Yeah dude, this is quality stuff!")?

Change isn't always good, yet in the case of In Flames the fact they always change is considered a positive attribute.

In Flames as a band can evolve/devolve however they see fit, but no fan should have to appreciate their sound just because they altered it.

+1

Classic fanboyism. IF can do no wrong.

The point of comparing IF with CD or AK (or whatever pop artist you like) is this: Why do metalheads "hate pop" and then go listen the same shit with added distorted guitar chord in the background ("Yeah dude, this is quality stuff!")?

Pop is great, go fuck yourself dude.

And the answer is: because metalheads are dumb.

Can't bother answering everything Krofius wrote.

But, I will say this. I'm obviously interested, or I wouldn't be here (duh!). This is "IF forum" so it's OK for me to post both positive and negative comments about IF and their music (not like I'm going on their fb page writing "fuck U, U suck, Kleyman rulezzzz!!!"). I say what I like, and I say what I don't like. This chorus good, this riff bad, this song OK, this album shit, like the drum sound, hate the guitar sound...

I actually like Coldplay and don't mind Alicia Keys that much but thats different point :p

Metalheads 'hate' pop and as you said listen to same shit with distorted guitars because they are shallow as I said a few days ago. They are as shallow as pop fans.
So yes, some will say 'Yeah dude, this is quality stuff', BUT for the same reason (ie. being shallow) you have the other metalheads criticizing IF for being poppish as they do on facebook. Also thats why so many criticize IF because of trendy haircuts. If IF looked like they looked in the early 90s and produced SC, the criticism would be less I bet.

IF can do whatever the fuck they want, they can add trumpets if they want or they can play gore metal for all I care (ok thats a bit of a stretch but you get my point :p). As long as I think that the music is quality then I will listen to it and enjoy it and will always enjoy them more than bands who stick to the same old formula or dont have the balls to do something different. And this is not fanboysm as there are modern albums (STYE, ASOP) that I dont like. But in my opinion the majority of their new albums have been good for me.

Krofius is absolutely spot-on. The way some people (you know who you are) generalize others is outright moronic. That's like saying you can't have a dressing-style and not cut your arms at the same time. The total absence of logic in such statements is of a grand scale.

If you want old In Flames, then listen to the old In Flames. If you want the newer In Flames, listen to the newer In Flames. You're not forced to listen to the new In Flames if that is not your cup of nitroglycerin. Speak your dislike, then get the fuck over it.

I for example absolutely hate Rap, Hip-hop, Soul, Funk, Disco, and Reggae. Things I stay away from. But there are times when metal fuses the two and it turns into something extraordinary and just because it has elements of things I dislike, doesn't mean that I actually will dislike it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want your opinion taken seriously you might want to take that hilarious ASOP review out of your sig.

“Disconnected“‘s first few riffs reminds me of earlier albums such as “The Jester Race“

:D

Oh, the band can do whatever they want, but the fans can complain if they want too. That's the shit thing about music and the social media.

Edit: Also, I don't like the fake impression that Anders tries to give that are only the old style fans those who complain about the new album. I know for sure that are a long time fans (like myself), fans of all their albums until know (like myself) who don't like the new songs. What he must do is, maybe, do less interviews and read the negative opinions about their work, to see what people complaining really thinks about the new stuff, and when I write new I mean the new album.

I really don't understand this talk about change. It's like IF are doing something groundbreaking and so progressive that hasn't been heard 100 times before. Well, they are not. It's not Ulver FFS.

They did melodeath - and on some level they were pioneers of the genre. Then they started doing nu metal, alt metal, alt rock, pop rock, metalcore and bunch of genres already played by other bands. Played on same level or better.

So, when band X does commercial nu metal, or some lady sings average-ish pop-rock it's "meh, who cares!". But, when IF does the same thing it's like: "WOW, they are sooo good!. Evolving, changing..." WOW, they have chugging riff. Epic! WOW, Anders sings and moans. Epic! WOW, Bjorn can do a wah-wah rock solo. Epic! I mean, come on dudes, you do listen to other music, right?

100% correct, who could even argue?

They could still make COMPLETE-feeling song structures and have melodies driving the songs as well as heavy banging riffs throughout songs while having Anders do WHATEVER he wants singing, it would still be good. And, be In Flames. Songs with guitar melodies accompanying the hard riffs i.e. Trigger, My Sweet Shadow etc. etc. were still In Flames.

I'm not talking 25 layers of guitar melody tracks lopped onto eachother... but at least do something you're known for, instead of vocal-driven, too simplistic riffs and then focusing on the chorus the whole time, which isn't that great of a way to do it if you want to stand out. Instead, they should be dividing a song's power between main guitar riffs/unique melodies, verse guitars, and the chorus.

These last few albums are so forgettable because there's not enough going on or thought put into them. Simple riffs that every band is doing now(with no melodies to make it memorable or to enjoy), then the same main (boring) riff going along with the verse, then a short bridge leading into a repetitive catchy chorus, a wahhh solo all over the place hitting every note below the bottom 1/3'd of the neck = no ingredients for a memorable song.