In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Can't bother answering everything Krofius wrote.

But, I will say this. I'm obviously interested, or I wouldn't be here (duh!). This is "IF forum" so it's OK for me to post both positive and negative comments about IF and their music (not like I'm going on their fb page writing "fuck U, U suck, Kleyman rulezzzz!!!"). I say what I like, and I say what I don't like. This chorus good, this riff bad, this song OK, this album shit, like the drum sound, hate the guitar sound...

The point of comparing IF with CD or AK (or whatever pop artist you like) is this: Why do metalheads "hate pop" and then go listen the same shit with added distorted guitar chord in the background ("Yeah dude, this is quality stuff!")?

Well many people hate pop as in the sense of Katy Perry, Rihanna, and other very well known mainstream artists. There is plenty of ''metalheads'' that listens to pop. You're just generalising. I don't mind some pop but I don't generally listen to it that much. And you just stated the difference between pop and not pop. It might sound a bit popish but with distorted guitars it really isn't pop anymore.

Of course you can state your opinion but you know yourself you're just trying to stir some shit up or try to be funny some times (See the Coldplay video posted).

Well many people hate pop as in the sense of Katy Perry, Rihanna, and other very well known mainstream artists. There is plenty of ''metalheads'' that listens to pop. You're just generalising. I don't mind some pop but I don't generally listen to it that much. And you just stated the difference between pop and not pop. It might sound a bit popish but with distorted guitars it really isn't pop anymore.

Sorry but I don't think so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLR3FRaFsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH9zG28GQEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq4oB-6FNp8

Difference between pop and rock or metal is not about the distortion.

If you want your opinion taken seriously you might want to take that hilarious ASOP review out of your sig.

:D

Your anal is bleeding. Sorry that you got butt-hurt about that I was reminded of the TJR album when I was reviewing ASOP's Disconnected. :( I sincerely hope that you can manage to overcome such a vile thing like me being reminded of something. :(

tumblr_lwzcjbWsOO1r6wdxho1_500.jpg

No, that review just suggests you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about :D in terms of fanboyism it even puts Krofius to shame.

You're obviously free to air your opinions, but please don't have that in your signature and then come on here trying to tell people how they should and should not feel about music. It's just embarrassing.

Actually Disconnected is a good song with some classic melodeath riffs (though nothing alike the Jester Race) ruined by a lazy singer who didn't wanted to be part of that album.

No, that review just suggests you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about :D in terms of fanboyism it even puts Krofius to shame.

You're obviously free to air your opinions, but please don't have that in your signature and then come on here trying to tell people how they should and should not feel about music. It's just embarrassing.

You're clearly a hypocrite lol, according to you it's factual that ASOP sucks, and if you like it and give a very good review to it ''you have no idea of what you are talking about''.

In terms of intelligence, you put yourself to shame.

One of those reviews likens Through Oblivion to Liberation, and I have to admit the thought crossed my mind the other day that they're actually pretty similar tracks. I couldn't really place my finger on why I liked Liberation and why I thought Through Oblivion was fucking lame.

I think it comes down to the overall album experience. SOAPF was such a good album in general that I was OK with them doing a weird little ballad at the end and able to enjoy it for what it was. It was more an experimental track like Metaphor, Discover Me Like Emptiness, Come Clarity or The Chosen Pessimist.

Through Oblivion on the other hand, right now, feels like a signifier of the direction In Flames are going in as a whole. If it hadn't been released as a single I think I may have had a different view of it.

Through Oblivion on the other hand, right now, feels like a signifier of the direction In Flames are going in as a whole. If it hadn't been released as a single I think I may have had a different view of it.
That's a funny thing. And you mentioned Metaphor as well. I just want to imagine back in the day how much shit R2R would have gotten if they had Metaphor as the lead single, holy shit. Would be TEN times worse than nowadays lol, considering that they never really did something like Metaphor previously, and it would be a gigantic leap from basically everything on Clayman. That's why, especially with bands like In Flames, you reserve judgement for the whole album, not just a single. Especially nowadays when they have lots of different sounding songs on the albums.

Metaphor was, in fairness, more like a Swedish folk ballad, so it had a uniqueness to it which was quite charming (though I know a lot of people shit on it anyway). I think I remember reading that Bjorn originally wrote it as an instrumental, and it was only later decided that Anders' would do vocals on it.

I think there's a big difference between Metaphor and the likes of Come Clarity & Through Oblivion, both of which were written specifically as commercial singles. As much as I hate on TCP, at least they were trying to do something different and unique. I can appreciate that more than something structured purposefully to be a pop song.

Metaphor was, in fairness, more like a Swedish folk ballad, so it had a uniqueness to it which was quite charming (though I know a lot of people shit on it anyway). I think I remember reading that Bjorn originally wrote it as an instrumental, and it was only later decided that Anders' would do vocals on it.

I think there's a big difference between Metaphor and the likes of Come Clarity & Through Oblivion, both of which were written specifically as commercial singles. As much as I hate on TCP, at least they were trying to do something different and unique. I can appreciate that more than something structured purposefully to be a pop song.

Are you saying that the intent of the song Come Clarity when they started writing that song, was to make a song that is commercially successful?

To me, that doesn't sound logical. Another song that many people probably hate is ''Your Bedtime Story is Scaring Everyone'' but that is one of my favorite Come Clarity songs, just because it's so different. Very calm verses with just semi-audible lyrics. I think the intent with that song is the same as Come Clarity, to experiment, twist the pattern, try something new. Personally I like Come Clarity a lot, one of the best IF solos resides in that song.

Of course Come Clarity (the song) was an attempt at a commercial, easily-marketable track. It's nothing like anything else on the album, and is the only song as far as I remember with all clean vocals?

Come on, man, you seriously can't believe In Flames have based their entire career on artistic integrity? :lol: they are businessmen.

In fact I've always thought of Metaphor as a classic hard rock ballad, like those of Led Zepelin with the acoustic guitars and all the atmosphere. And, as I like those kind of songs, I might say that Metaphor is actually one of my favourite IF songs.

Come clarity is more like a classic heavy metal ballad, with the acoustic intro and the heavy riffs in the chorus. The guitars I really like, Anders is (once again) the weak part in the song. And by far not the best from the album.

There's just something hauntingly beautiful about Metaphor. It's unique, it's hard to find a song by any other band that sounds similar.

You can find a hundred bands doing songs like Through Oblivion, which seems soulless in comparison.

So you don't believe it when they say they didn't write any song as a single, and that they just let the record company chose the singles. That's fair. I will say that in a few years a lot of this hate for the songs we've heard so far will disappear. It always does with In Flames. Even ASOP isn't really that bad now (except for the lyrics. Those never really get better with time).

EDIT: You might have a good point with Through Oblivion not being original, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. There can be things that copy others but end up being better. Just look at almost anything Apple has made. Though, if you don't feel the passion or the soul within it, nobody can tell you any different. But, Come Clarity did have something special to it (at least for me) and that is the bass in that song. That heavy bass behind the acoustic guitars is awesome to me. Also, I don't think Anders ruins that song at all. I think you can tell how emotional he is with it and that works for me.

Anders and Bjorn make themselves out to be a lot more naive in their interviews than they really are. They've been in the music business long enough to know what is what.

They may well have allowed the record company to pick the singles, but I bet they knew exactly which songs were going to be selected.

So you don't believe it when they say they didn't write any song as a single, and that they just let the record company chose the singles. That's fair. I will say that in a few years a lot of this hate for the songs we've heard so far will disappear. It always does with In Flames. Even ASOP isn't really that bad now (except for the lyrics. Those never really get better with time).

What they (Anders) did say is that, from SC, they didn't know which one choose as single and they let the record company choose the one they wanted. And also that it was the first time doing this.

Anders and Bjorn make themselves out to be a lot more naive in their interviews than they really are. They've been in the music business long enough to know what is what.

They may well have allowed the record company to pick the singles, but I bet they knew exactly which songs were going to be selected.

You sound like such a conspiracy theorist. Nothing can be pure or honest when writing music. If a metal band makes a ballad, they clearly only make it to sell more albums and gain new fans. Oh no wait, they don't. In Flames has had ballads since their first album, just that first few had a bit more folk influences and female vocals.
Metaphor to me is by far In Flames worst ballad, even worse than Liberation. In that song I just can't stand Anders vocals. But then we have Dawn of A New Day, which I absolutely love. Don't really care that much for Everlost Part 2 though, don't really like the girls voice.

Opeth clearly sold out as well right? Going full out prog rock trying to cater to the prog rock community for sure. I bet he doesn't even want to play that shit, it's just a business decision.