In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

What were they going to do, quote one of A88's comments? Lol.

photographer_magnus_bergstrom_1309921746.jpg

Been listening Filtered Truth today... and the next thing on playlist was ASOP. Wow, just wow. When The Mirrors Truth kicks in it sounds like Master of Puppets compared to FT.

Anyway, ASOP has a nice collection of good riffs and melodies, but production, mixing, guitar tone, uninspired performance of my favorite vocalist + shitty lyrics drag that album straight to the bottom.

I haven't listened to Filtered Truth that much, but you think The Mirror's Truth dominates it? I'm not trying to take away from Mirror's Truth because I think that's one of the stronger songs on the album. I think the production is good for ASOP. I said recently I listened to it in my car and it sounded great. It's just that the guitar tone, song structure, and Anders' vocal style doesn't change from song to song.

The band deserve every ounce of negativity they're getting. You can only push people so far.

As for the bonus tracks being the best ones, again, hardly a surprise. The best songs of the ASOP sessions (Abnegation, Tilt and Eraser) were all on a fucking EP. It's like they don't want their best metal tracks anywhere near their albums. Make your own mind up as to why that is.
In Flames doesn't really have a history like other bands that the bonus tracks are some of the strongest ones on the album, partly because they haven't really released any original bonus tracks, mostly covers and live tracks. Discover Me With Emptiness is a good song, better than a few songs on STYE imo. Apart from that it's only really the ASOP EP that has very strong songs, the EP holds some of the best songs from the sessions. And literally lol, I somehow missed that on SoAPF Japan Bonus track is an instrumental version of Deliver Us. Don't know how the fuck I missed that. The guitar melody in the chorus is much more audible and damn it's good, I haven't really heard the melody when I've heard the regular version. The melody gives me a bit of an oldschool feeling.

In Flames doesn't really have a history like other bands that the bonus tracks are some of the strongest ones on the album, partly because they haven't really released any original bonus tracks, mostly covers and live tracks. Discover Me With Emptiness is a good song, better than a few songs on STYE imo. Apart from that it's only really the ASOP EP that has very strong songs, the EP holds some of the best songs from the sessions. And literally lol, I somehow missed that on SoAPF Japan Bonus track is an instrumental version of Deliver Us. Don't know how the fuck I missed that. The guitar melody in the chorus is much more audible and damn it's good, I haven't really heard the melody when I've heard the regular version. The melody gives me a bit of an oldschool feeling.

Hmm, I may have to find that Deliver Us instrumental as well!

Well you can listen here if you want. Deliver Us was the first In Flames song I ever heard and it's still my personal favorite In Flames song of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far my opinion about released songs
1) Rusted Nail - boring
2) Through Oblivion - surprisingly enjoyable, although a bit monotone. Chorus has a nice atmosphere.
3) Filtered truth - best piece of the released/leaked songs. Fast with catchy chorus, I wish all the songs were like this one.
4) Everything's gone - wannabe heavy shit.
5) When the world explodes - lol, do they mean this seriously? It feels like it was composed literally in several minutes. Simple and generic riff, boring chorus... Fades out after second chorus. No, just no.

And yes, Anders... I admired what he did on SoaPF fading, especially after his fucked up performance on ASoP. It seemed that he finally, after all these years, found his way how to sing. Sorry to say, but his vocals on these five songs are just appalling. I literally laugh to his backing vocals in the chorus of When the world explodes everytime I listen to it. Sounds just ridiculous, I don't know what to say...

I must say I really like In Flames although I find their music less and less enjoyable the more I listen to it. I really liked Sounds of a playground fading and I actually defended it in many internet arguments against "new-IF haters" but if the album turns up to be the same like these five songs then I'm done with IF.