When The World Explodes: 8/10
Rusted Nail: 3/10
Dead Eyes: 6/10
Monsters In The Ballroom: 8/10
Filtered Truth: 7/10
-
The Chase: 8/10
Become The Sky: 9/10

- Negative: Main problem of the album is the bass and guitars. The bass is too loud, and the guitars are, in some songs, too silent. - So silent, that in some songs, it becomes a guessing game as to what the guitars actually are playing.
- In Everything's Gone, there are mistakes made by the guitar player(s?) at 51 seconds into the tune that probably should not be on the record.
- This has then been left there, as if the producer didn't care, and they have then tried to bury the mistakes by layering it under the bass. It works, until people actually start to pay attention.
- Mixing is, overall, plain bad. From the too loud bass and too silent guitars, to the non-normalized vocals in "Siren Charms".
- The clear sign of rushing the album stands all-present where songs like "Rusted Nail" and "Siren Charms" stand out as close to unfinished.
- The band wants to have a constrained, short time-limit when making music in order to get somewhere. 6 weeks? Going in for 6 weeks with almost nothing prepared? This is very bad for both the production team, and the band - and it shows.
- Positive: Despite all of the negativity, there are Soundwaves of Silk here and there. Become The Sky stands mighty with its groovy feel. However, it has something negative to it, but what's negative with that?
- Well, it is only on the limited editions, a royal kick in the fucking nuggets for those who buy Standard Edition.
- Positive: Most choruses are very well done, and stand out. From Rusted Nail to Become The Sky.
- Siren Charms is a 4/10.
- Siren Charms Limited Edition is a 4.5/10
- This album is a letdown, but it should be expected considering the circumstances and pressure the band puts on their production team and themselves.
- The mixing is far from good and feels hasted as well, especially when looking at tracks such as Rusted Nail, Siren Charms, Through Oblivion and In Plain View.

- Favorite tracks: Become The Sky, Monsters In The Ballroom, With Eyes Wide Open.

- In Everything's Gone, there are mistakes made by the guitar player(s?) at 51 seconds into the tune that probably should not be on the record.
- This has then been left there, as if the producer didn't care, and they have then tried to bury the mistakes by layering it under the bass. It works, until people actually start to pay attention.
- Mixing is, overall, plain bad.

Dude, what the fuck? Do you even have ears? Mistakes in Everything's gone? Just, NOPE.

- The mixing is far from good and feels hasted as well, especially when looking at tracks such as Rusted Nail, Siren Charms, Through Oblivion and In Plain View.

+1

Rusted Nail and Siren Charms seem amateurishly done.

I'm not really sure what were they going for with the sound of the first solo in RN, it's just unpleasant and different to anything else on SC.

Oh, and leak the fuckin' bonus tracks.

This is not meant as bashing you if you think so, I'm just sharing my opinion and asking some questions.

I wonder if your promo copy differs from the actual copies?

I listened to 0:50 in Everything's Gone like 15 times, I literally can't hear anything wrong or different in the riff. It's not like the riff is hard at all lol, and when they recorded it they would notice it immediately and obviously not let it be on the album lol. I could understand if there's a solo that a guitar player can only nail like 95% and let it slide as long as it sounds good but that simple verse riff? Just no.

Mixing overall plain bad? Again, maybe your copy differs, the mixing is very clean and balanced when I listen to it, I can hear everything cleanly. One of the best productions from IF so far imo.

The bass to loud in Siren Charms? Where? I personally like when the bass isn't just a semi-audible instrument in the background. It's nice when you can actually hear that the bass is playing different riffs, it's not like it drowns the other instruments in the songs at all, not to my ears. Best bass sound on IF is probably on Come Clarity imo, a very thick and punchy sound and I love it. The intro to Dead End is a perfect example.

Rushing the album, definitely not. The 3months they had previously for SoAPF is an INSANE amount of time. 6 weeks is even over the standard time bands usually use for recording. They didn't have ''almost nothing prepared''. They said they always have the cores of all songs and most of them have the majority done, but then they twist and add small stuff in the studio.

Just look at the history of all other albums how long time they've used to record it and you'll see that you're wrong. The reason they used so long time for SoAPF was because they basically wrote the album while recording it and it was their own studio, meaning not having to pay huge amount of money for renting. On TJR for example they did EVERYTHING in 11 days, Anders did ALL his vocals in 2days. That was because they had basically all the songs already done before they went into the studio and had rehearsed them all a lot.

For the mistakes in Everything's gone - dude, are you high? It's just simple riff.

On TJR for example they did EVERYTHING in 11 days, Anders did ALL his vocals in 2days. That was because they had basically all the songs already done before they went into the studio and had rehearsed them all a lot.

This is actually pretty logical. Back in these days, they had very limited budget and couldn't afford more days in studio. Now thay can, so it's no problem hiring it for several weeks.

Six weeks is just enough, if you have composed at least the cores of the songs. I don't see this as some haste.

Dude, what the fuck? Do you even have ears? Mistakes in Everything's gone? Just, NOPE.

Haha! Yes, I have ears. I also own programs which allow me to study the music from different perspectives, enhancing the sound from various instruments and bringing the guitars forward from behind the bass. The reason for why I said that it was buried behind the bass to keep it from being noticed is for that very reason. The mistake is there, and is definitely noticeable, but with it being buried does make it hard but not impossible to notice.

The reason for why I mentioned the mistake at all is because it is occurring throughout the album, and I don't like it when mistakes are made, then purposely covered up in such fashion.

krofius said:

No offense taken.

I am aware of that they had some material written, hence "almost nothing". Anders had none. - While they had very short production time during the early years (so I was told), they had all material written and were ready to go. - Anders breaking down after the session is also a clear sign of that he burned himself out during the recording.

Haha! Yes, I have ears. I also own programs which allow me to study the music from different perspectives, enhancing the sound from various instruments and bringing the guitars forward from behind the bass. The reason for why I said that it was buried behind the bass to keep it from being noticed is for that very reason. The mistake is there, and is definitely noticeable, but with it being buried does make it hard but not impossible to notice.

The reason for why I mentioned the mistake at all is because it is occurring throughout the album, and I don't like it when mistakes are made, then purposely covered up in such fashion.

No offense taken.

I am aware of that they had some material written, hence "almost nothing". Anders had none. - While they had very short production time during the early years (so I was told), they had all material written and were ready to go. - Anders breaking down after the session is also a clear sign of that he burned himself out during the recording.

Well if you can then record the guitar enhanced version and share it, it would be great. Because I can hear the riff perfectly under the vocals and bass just like 10s earlier when it's the same riff with vocals and bass.

And yes, Anders didn't write any lyrics at all previous to the recording this time. He did however still practice and try some vocal melodies when he visited Björn 2 times previous to the recording to hear the demos/riffs.

He's talking about 51secs into Everything's Gone when the guitar riff on one note goes a fret lower for a split second than the previous time that main verse riff was played.

I downloaded it, listened once and deleted immediately. What a joke of a record. Laziness all around. The whole thing is garbage except for a 15 second span in one of the songs. Enjoy it if you like it. I'll be blasting the new Dark Fortress!

This basically. Pretty sad.

Lol you're talking about that? He said guitar mistake bro, not playing a slightly different riff. He does the same thing 3 times in the song, it's not a mistake in playing, it's meant to be played that way.

He's talking about 51secs into Everything's Gone when the guitar riff on one note goes a fret lower for a split second than the previous time that main verse riff was played.

Nope, it basically is a failed squeal note. If you press one finger toward a string and play it once, that's what it sounds like, but it is a quick one of those.

Anyway, leave this now. I'll showcase it when the album has been out for a while. Krofius got a PM.

Svářeč;10897693 said:
But why wouldn't they just play that part again to record it right? Why would they put it on the album?

They would, and they likely tried, but didn't check properly and overlooked it and it ended up like it did with an accidental extra note. It isn't a disaster though, it IS hard to notice and only if you pay close attention will you hear it.

Now leave it be. It isn't major and the only reason I mentioned it is that it happened several times across the album, but it is nothing major. Thing is, it shouldn't be there.

If you want the exact timestamp, it is at exactly 0:51:60 when Anders says "Roo(fail note)m to breathe."

The point is you can't notice it without twitching with whatever program you have. And absolutely noone does that kind of nitpicking. And I'm saying that as much as I do not enjoy this new album, and I agree Become The Sky is the best song on the album.

By the way, only found it on mediamarkt.de and saturn.de, and it seems that edition comes without The Chase.