In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I am pretty sure that you are more tempted to dislike when you feel disappointed by your favorite band than people are tempted to like when they actually like it.

So these figures don't mean anything (except "butthurt metalheads everywhere").

Funny how nothing is important if it doesn't go your way. :lol:

I am pretty sure that you are more tempted to dislike when you feel disappointed by your favorite band than people are tempted to like when they actually like it.

So these figures don't mean anything (except "butthurt metalheads everywhere").

To dislike, maybe. But, if you felt disaponted with the last albums, you have less reasons to search for new songs while, if you loved the albums, as we did, then you're more impatient about listening to new music. You should know better than anyone.

To dislike, maybe. But, if you felt disaponted with the last albums, you have less reasons to search for new songs while, if you loved the albums, as we did, then you're more impatient about listening to new music. You should know better than anyone.

I'm trying to get some sense from this...

I think I found some. So, you think that people who disliked the new songs on Youtube are the ones who are disappointed by In Flames not being a melodic death metal band anymore? Because it was exactly my point.

IF has charted better for each album and obviously this time will not be different just because most of the people who didn't already like the last couple albums hate this one even more.

Arch Enemy is bigger than IF, yes. And also Alissa (new singer) came from another pretty big band so a lot of people checked out that song, as well as it being a big youtube channel compared to InFlamesVevo. But In Flames isn't THAT big seriously. And I don't mean that when comparing In Flames and Katy Perry or something. They're a well known metal band, but outside of Rock/Metal nobody really knows about them, outside of Sweden of course. Here they are the ''metal superstars'', although Sabaton seems to have grown equally popular or even more popular the last couple years. I just checked out Slipknot a week ago or something and I literally didn't know that they were THAT popular, they have 10times more likes on Facebook than IF. Amon Amarth and IF have about the same likes, but I do think In Flames is a bigger band, or at least, they earn more money since they've been been doing huge tours for so long. Amon Amarth guys all had jobs until 2007. I think Anders said 97/98 was when they started living on their music.

I would say IF is slightly less popular than CoB. I think IF needs to tour more in Asia and South America, but I guess there are a lack of good offers from there. They mostly do almost whole Europe and North America and then a bunch of festivals during the summer. I'm not complaining though since they are basically playing in Sweden at least once a year.

Do you thing there is some hater waiting for the new songs more than you were?

It has during the last releases seemed pretty clear to me that the ''haters'' are waiting on the tracks as much as the hardcore fans are, and after that are all the regular fans who listen to the singles and albums when they are officially released. But at this point it's pretty stupid cause anyone with a brain during the 10 years knows that IF is not going to do a back to the roots thing, so I don't understand the people that still cling onto the hope with every album that it's going to happen.

Svářeč;10897918 said:
Actually, this isn't that much. Arch Enenemy has around 1 500 000 likes. My another favorite bands: Epica 2 200 000 likes, Within Temptation - 2 300 000 likes, Dark Tranquillity - 463 000.

That's why I'm saying numbers mean nothing, at least on the internet.

It has during the last releases seemed pretty clear to me that the ''haters'' are waiting on the tracks as much as the hardcore fans are, and after that are all the regular fans who listen to the singles and albums when they are officially released. But at this point it's pretty stupid cause anyone with a brain during the 10 years knows that IF is not going to do a back to the roots thing, so I don't understand the people that still cling onto the hope with every album that it's going to happen.

By regular fans I supose you mean those who will never buy the albums.

Of course they will not go back to their roots, I don't want them to go back to their roots and I would hate them if they do the same album again and again and again. But still, I don't like the new album.

Dude, In Flames is twice bigger than Arch Enemy, come on.

I don't know. My experience here in Spain is seeing Arch Enemy on magazine covers and their music played usually on the radio, but, as I can remember, I only have one magazine with IF on its cover.

Last Metal Hammer has Mikael Akerfeldt on its cover. IF never been on the cover of Metal Hammer Spain.

That's why I'm saying numbers mean nothing, at least on the internet.

I wouldn't say that. In Flames may sell tons of records, but they don't sell that much tickets. When they last played in Czech Republic, it was in small club and there were like several hundreds people.

IF are big band but I don't think they are as big as many of you think. At least outside Sweden.

Svářeč;10897926 said:
I wouldn't say that. In Flames may sell tons of records, but they don't sell that much tickets. When they last played in Czech Republic, it was in small club and there were like several hundreds people.

IF are big band but I don't think they are as big as many of you think. At least outside Sweden.

They don't sell that much. And yes. Last time I saw them we were around 1500 people.

Also I was shocked when I saw they were the openers for Trivium in the UK. As I see Trivium as a lesser band than IF (that's well writen?).

By regular fans I supose you mean those who will never buy the albums.

Of course they will not go back to their roots, I don't want them to go back to their roots and I would hate them if they do the same album again and again and again. But still, I don't like the new album.

No with regular fans I just don't mean people that adamantly searches for leaks and that kind of stuff. You're saying the regulars don't buy the albums? Of course they do. It's not only the super hardcore fans that buy the albums lol.

Just because bands' previous albums have shown an upwards trend doesn't mean it will stay that way indefinitely. At some point all bands' sales start to slide, and it usually coincides with a decline in musical quality or a change of direction which the majority fanbase don't like.

For me, SC is the biggest change In Flames have ever made. Bigger than Whoracle to Colony, bigger than Clayman to Reroute, and bigger than Come Clarity to ASOP. It's the first album where you can make a genuine argument that they no longer fit in the metal genre. That could have a big impact on sales.

Of course, they're signed with a huge label in Sony and will probably get a ton of promotion. It's entirely possible this album will outsell SOAPF (which would be tragic) but there's also every chance it will be the beginning of a decline for the band. Their sales won't go up forever - they're at that age as a band where sales do tend to start going in a negative direction. Now more than ever the band are relying on fans enjoying listening to Anders sing - and that's not a bet I'd like to take. He admits himself he isn't much of a singer, and when the entire album is based on his vocal melodies, that's a big risk to take.

A decline in sales wouldn't necessarily be a negative thing. It could be a reality check for the band, or it may make them more determined to improve the quality of their offerings regardless of the direction they go in. Fact is, even the In Flames diehards on here have had to give the album multiple spins to discover parts they find really good or memorable. You certainly didn't need that with any of their best albums, and even ASOP had moments on first spin where you said "yeah, that sounds cool". There wasn't any point on SC where I thought this, only after listening 5/6 times did I find anything really worth commenting on.

Every In Flames release has its detractors, absolutely true. Reroute had some vicious attacks, as did STYE. Difference is those albums were aimed towards the American Metal market and were always likely to be a success due to In Flames making a good impression touring America all the time with the likes of Slipknot, Disturbed, etc. Those albums also had some merit and were definitely 'metal', even if it wasn't the type of metal most of their older fans wanted to hear.

I don't know what market they are aiming for with Siren Charms. Probably the alt-rock/metal crowd, but I'm not sure they'd be impressed by this album. I think the band are playing a dangerous game and are seriously risking alienating fans who have stayed loyal to them throughout their careers - and even those fans who have only been with them since R2R and STYE.

Found an old interview with P.Iwers (around 2011) if I remember. The interesting part (for me) was (I will try to translate the best I can):

¿Qué vende una banda como IN FLAMES a nivel mundial?

“Vendemos alrededor de 500.000 copias en todo el mundo con cada disco”.

¿Habéis notado una gran bajada de ventas en los últimos años?

“El metal es un terreno distinto en ese sentido. El metal va subiendo de ventas pero creo que subiría mucho más de no existir toda la problemática de las descargas. Hace veinticinco o treinta años, una banda como IN FLAMES vendería un par de millones de discos en todo el mundo. Hoy en día no vendes grandes cifras a no ser que seas METALLICA”.

How much sells a band like IF worldwide?
"We sell around 500 thousand copies of every album worldwide".

Did you noticed a big loss on the sales for the last few years?

"Metal is different. Metal keeps on selling more but I think it would sell even more if not existing all the piracy problem. 25 or 30 years ago, a band like IF would sell about 2 million record worldwide. Today, you don't sell big numbers unless you're a bug band like Metallica."

I don't think they're aiming for a certain target group lol, and never do I think they have in the past either. They just make the music that makes them happy. And dude it's not THAAAAAAT different. SoAPF was also majority clean vocals, lets say it was 65/35 on soapf and now it's 80/20. There's several elements that reminds me on SOAPF. Sure it does sound a bit different but I doubt the newer fans after ASOP and/or SoAPF is going to dislike it lol. IF has grown bigger for each album and year, there's no chance they'll grow smaller unless they make a country album.

And echoaid that is true. Money nowadays comes from touring like a bitch unless you're a huge band or artist. Touring mostly, and merch, is where IF's biggest incomes are, for sure.