In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I like both the demo version and the ASOP one.

Demo version is kinda cool because it was recorded in the middle of Come Clarity & ASOP so the way his cleans sounded on that song we never heard any other time. The demo version chorus had a more emotional vocal melody than the ASOP one.

Btw agree on the Monsters in the Ballroom, that chorus has really really grown to me as well. Now the song is really good.

I remember the demo version of Abnegation getting absolutely shit on when it came out, but I actually liked it :D I don't mind the final version either, but the demo just seemed more natural.

It's anthems like "In plain view" (with a powerful modern metal riff) and "When the world explodes" which present the rougher and raging side of the band.

:lol:

I imagine quite a lot of the ASOP material sounds better live. The guitar tone on the album was too weak, it would sound more powerful in a live setting. Doesn't change the shit lyrics or the fact Anders can't sing, but a lot of his cleans tend to get drowned out live anyway.

In Flames continued their development from a melodic death metals band towards a modern metal band. Listening to "Sirens charm" reminds more to bands like Lacuna Coil & Linkin Park than to At The Gates.
:Smokedev:

Wouldn't say they sound anywhere close to any of those bands nowadays, but I guess they sound closer to Linkin Park & Lacuna Coil than ATG though.

Lol we'll see :) Your opinion isn't in the majority, let's just put it that way.

Uh, the three singles EVERYONE online heard were a big enough deterrent, and after everyone hears the full album a LOT of people won't be wasting their $ on it. At least the original IF fans. (Who are the larger majority of possible "customers" who might buy it)

I don't think they're aiming for a certain target group lol, and never do I think they have in the past either. They just make the music that makes them happy. And dude it's not THAAAAAAT different. SoAPF was also majority clean vocals, lets say it was 65/35 on soapf and now it's 80/20. There's several elements that reminds me on SOAPF. Sure it does sound a bit different but I doubt the newer fans after ASOP and/or SoAPF is going to dislike it lol. IF has grown bigger for each album and year, there's no chance they'll grow smaller unless they make a country album.

They were def trying to go softer to be more mainstream and aim for a larger audience. It's a business decision when you're 40+ and you're 11 albums in.

It's WAY different than SOAPF. Guitars drove the songs instead of these weak unimaginable riffs and just focusing on soft rock vocals in every song. And believe me, people prefer guitar-driven songs in hard rock/metal and not vocal-driven weak songs from a band who became known and loved through their guitar riffs/melodies.

I have no idea how you think people will like this after ASOP and SOAPF which were both so much better

If they continue down this road instead of making higher-quality music, their choice to alienate people and make anything below the level of SOAPF(which was a perfect album for modern IF and wasn't TOO much to ask as a fan, it didn't kill them making it) will guarantee that the fanbase goes down and they make less $.

Look at the Youtube comments of Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion. Thousands of actual In Flames fans who are the REAL people who buy their shit and look them up when they know a new album's coming out... They see those songs and become turned off by it and make the decision in their head that they won't be buying what they hear

Okay. The album they just wrote the don't actually like, they just wrote it for monetary gain. In reality, they rather make another Whoracle but they are so money hungry that they rather make music they aren't satisfied with. Playing those songs 500 times live that you don't like? No problem, money in the pocket.

Siren Charms = Business decision, time to rake in the fat dough guys

The new album, it sucks. Guitar driven songs? Nope, not on Siren Charms, can't hear a single guitar riff or melody, it's all just Anders trying to sing and failing miserably accompanied by boring drums and forgettable electronics. And where is Peter Iwers, is he fucking sleeping? I remember him when he actually wanted to play bass like his slick bass-part in Insipid 2000.

There's no chance people will actually like this pile of crap, even those who liked ASOP and SoAPF.

This album def will sell very few copies, just look at the Youtube comments on Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion for proof. Look at all the other songs on the album that has leaked on Youtube as well, the dislike ratio is 9/1 and all the comments are negative.

Every person who actually likes this garbage is under a spell or confused what real music sounds like.

IF are going to alienate their fans if they continue down this road. Watch them try to return to the old sound to win back their fans when they are noticing they are losing their fanbase.

Siren Charms 1/10 would not listen again. Anders ruined this band.

Okay. The album they just wrote the don't actually like, they just wrote it for monetary gain. In reality, they rather make another Whoracle but they are so money hungry that they rather make music they aren't satisfied with. Playing those songs 500 times live that you don't like? No problem, money in the pocket.

Siren Charms = Business decision, time to rake in the fat dough guys

The new album, it sucks. Guitar driven songs? Nope, not on Siren Charms, can't hear a single guitar riff or melody, it's all just Anders trying to sing and failing miserably accompanied by boring drums and forgettable electronics. And where is Peter Iwers, is he fucking sleeping? I remember him when he actually wanted to play base like his slick bass-part in Insipid 2000.

There's no chance people will actually like this pile of crap, even those who liked ASOP and SoAPF.

This album def will sell very few copies, just look at the Youtube comments on Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion for proof. Look at all the other songs on the album that has leaked on Youtube as well, the dislike ratio is 9/1 and all the comments are negative.

Every person who actually likes this garbage is under a spell or confused what real music sounds like.

IF are going to alienate their fans if they continue down this road. Watch them try to return to the old sound to win back their fans when they are noticing they are losing their fanbase.

Siren Charms 1/10 would not listen again. Anders ruined this band.

Oh, they like it. Bjorn said that it was their best album ever. But, you know, the bands that doesn't change their sound, they love their albums too.

And also, you can love your work even when you know you did an effort to be more comercial, there's no rule against.

There is people, I'm one of them, that thinks the album sucks. There is people, you're one of them, who thinks the album is great. And I respect both opinions. But it's great that we can discuss about our points of view. You know, I will not try to convince anyone who likes this album to not like it, because I still like the past albums despite what people says about them.

Of course I'm one of those who thinks that Anders ruined the band, just because you now, this album semlls so much of him (I don't know if it's wekk writen). But that's my opinion. As is my opinion that, in fact, Anders has never been too much into metal. But maybe I'm wrong.

And you know as I know that, if this album is a step back to their career, they will go back to a more "clasical metal" sound, and if it is a big success, they will go on to a more "comercial" sound.

I know you people would like everyone to love this album. You know We would like everyone to hate this album. But it's better if everyone has his own opinion as we don't have the same tastes nor listen to the exact same music. (I guess all I wrote is understandable).

I remember In Flames when they actually wanted to make music, before they got a taste of money. Bring back Jesper

echoaid, Björn is lying. Their best album ever? He barely wrote any riffs for the album.

And you know as I know that, if this album is a step back to their career, they will go back to a more "clasical metal" sound, and if it is a big success, they will go on to a more "comercial" sound.

I don't think so.

If this album is a step back to their career, In Flames will split and disappear or do whatever they want, but stop hoping for a new melodeath In Flames, that's never gonna happen.

You'd have to be very naive to think the musical direction In Flames took after Clayman was 100% driven by the music. A88's quote in my sig says enough in regards to that.

We all know Anders and Bjorn love pop-rock stuff. They've admitted as much many times. They love the old 70's stuff like Deep Purple. They like Depache Mode. This is a direction I think they are very comfortable with and enjoy far more than when they were making the older albums. I'm not even sure they were really into making Whoracle, Colony or Clayman. Nordstrom has already said they could hardly be bothered to record Whoracle, and that they already mentioned to him during Colony/Clayman era that they were tired of the dual-guitar stuff and wanted to create a simpler, more mainstream sound.

If anything the older albums seemed to be a chore for the band, which is kind of sad but when you see the amount of older stuff omitted from the setlist even in the R2R/STYE era it makes some sense. Jesper was perhaps the only member of the band who really wanted to continue this Gothenburg Sound thing, and when his alcoholism took over and he mentally checked out of the band there was no resistance to Anders/Bjorn turning it into what they wanted. All speculation on my part but I get the feeling Anders/Bjorn did not want to do any more melodeath related stuff after TJR.