In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

You know. There is a big difference on how they approach the composition now (at least for this album).

Until Jesper left, he and Bjorn made all the music by themselves and then Anders made all vocals himself. It was like a non agression path.

As Far as I can remember, the production for SOAPF was the same. Bjorn came with the music, Anders came with the lyrics.

For SC, Bjorn came with a bunch of riffs, the band decided wich of them to use and from them came the songs, while Anders' still on charge of the vocals.

If this is true, then Anders is (what you must call) the (real) leader of the band.

I don't think so.

If this album is a step back to their career, In Flames will split and disappear or do whatever they want, but stop hoping for a new melodeath In Flames, that's never gonna happen.

I'm not talking about melodeath. I'm talking about more metal or mainstream (harder) metal sound. And I said before that I'm not hoping for a melodeath return, I'm just hoping for songs that I must like.

You'd have to be very naive to think the musical direction In Flames took after Clayman was 100% driven by the music. A88's quote in my sig says enough in regards to that.

We all know Anders and Bjorn love pop-rock stuff. They've admitted as much many times. They love the old 70's stuff like Deep Purple. They like Depache Mode. This is a direction I think they are very comfortable with and enjoy far more than when they were making the older albums. I'm not even sure they were really into making Whoracle, Colony or Clayman. Nordstrom has already said they could hardly be bothered to record Whoracle, and that they already mentioned to him during Colony/Clayman era that they were tired of the dual-guitar stuff and wanted to create a simpler, more mainstream sound.

If anything the older albums seemed to be a chore for the band, which is kind of sad but when you see the amount of older stuff omitted from the setlist even in the R2R/STYE era it makes some sense. Jesper was perhaps the only member of the band who really wanted to continue this Gothenburg Sound thing, and when his alcoholism took over and he mentally checked out of the band there was no resistance to Anders/Bjorn turning it into what they wanted. All speculation on my part but I get the feeling Anders/Bjorn did not want to do any more melodeath related stuff after TJR.

Hey, there's nothing wrong in loving Deep Purple (at least their three good albums) :Smokedev:

But I think you're probably right in the most part of your comment. I don't see Anders as a metal fan, in fact, I don't remember Anders talking about any other band that he likes than Depeche Mode.

Sad news is that Niclas Engelinis also a fan of pop music, that said by Anders by the time they did the Passenger Album.

And, opposite to what people use to say, I don't think they always did what they wanted, at least not Jesper, who left his harder side to Dimension Zero.

Anders definitely isn't a metal fan, he definitely hasn't been a part of metal bands for the past 25 years (although as of recently now playing soft-rock).
Anders is definitely the boss of the band, he just points his fingers and tells Björn what to do. This time he told Björn to only write a few riffs on a few songs so that he can sing more. Björn only cares about his restaurant anyways so he doesn't really care.

Hey, there's nothing wrong in loving Deep Purple (at least their three good albums) :Smokedev:

Yeah, Deep Purple are cool, I like them too. If you're drawing a lot of inspiration from that type of band though (and Depache Mode) then you aren't going to be playing melodic death metal for very long.

Melodeath was the cool new sound at the time In Flames started, it made sense for them to make an albums in that style. They moved away from it very quickly though - even Colony is more melodic metal than melodeath.

Discounting Lunar Strain, In Flames arguably only ever made two melodic death metal records - TJR & Whoracle. Considering they've made 10 albums from 1996 to present, it's kind of ridiculous to label them as melodic death metal when only 20% of their output over the course of their careers has actually been melodeath :D

Anders definitely isn't a metal fan, he definitely hasn't been a part of metal bands for the past 25 years (although as of recently now playing soft-rock).
Anders is definitely the boss of the band, he just points his fingers and tells Björn what to do. This time he told Björn to only write a few riffs on a few songs so that he can sing more. Björn only cares about his restaurant anyways so he doesn't really care.

You know. Everyone decides about Bjorn. No one decides about Anders. This is being a leader.

I still don't know Anders metal or non metal influences apart from Depeche Mode. I' being serious about that. If someone knows please tell.

And, opposite to what people use to say, I don't think they always did what they wanted, at least not Jesper, who left his harder side to Dimension Zero.

Opposite to what? Every butthurt metalhead says that.

I'm sure it's just bullshit though. Playing in several bands doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want. Sometimes you just want to do something that wouldn't fit what you have planned for one of your bands so you create another.

Yeah, Deep Purple are cool, I like them too. If you're drawing a lot of inspiration from that type of band though (and Depache Mode) then you aren't going to be playing melodic death metal for very long.

Melodeath was the cool new sound at the time In Flames started, it made sense for them to make an albums in that style. They moved away from it very quickly though - even Colony is more melodic metal than melodeath.

Discounting Lunar Strain, In Flames arguably only ever made two melodic death metal records - TJR & Whoracle. Considering they've made 10 albums from 1996 to present, it's kind of ridiculous to label them as melodic death metal when only 20% of their output over the course of their careers has actually been melodeath :D

Of course not. And I don't mind the label as long as they do good music (even if they go country).

Opposite to what? Every butthurt metalhead says that.

I'm sure it's just bullshit though. Playing in several bands doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want. Sometimes you just want to do something that wouldn't fit what you have planned for one of your bands so you create another.

Yes, and that's my point. Anders doesn't care if it fits or not. He just goes with it. While Jesper was more responsible about what to do with the band.

You know. Everyone decides about Bjorn. No one decides about Anders. This is being a leader.

Do you realize that you are talking but you don't know?

No one decides about Anders? What the fuck? I read in an interview with Anders and Björn that Anders worked so hard and put himself in such a delicate situation creating all the vocal melodies while in the studio that he was pissed off when the other members told him they didn't like something and he had to do it another way.

Everyone decides about Björn just the same way everyone decides about Anders. Please, stop saying bullshit now this is ridiculous.

Do you realize that you are talking but you don't know?

No one decides about Anders? What the fuck? I read in an interview with Anders and Björn that Anders worked so hard and put himself in such a delicate situation creating all the vocal melodies while in the studio that he was pissed off when the other members told him they didn't like something and he had to do it another way.

Everyone decides about Björn just the same way everyone decides about Anders. Please, stop saying bullshit now this is ridiculous.

Well, I didn't read that interview so I didn't knew. Just talking about the things I personally read or heard. If it's that, then sorry I was wrong.

Yes, and that's my point. Anders doesn't care if it fits or not. He just goes with it. While Jesper was more responsible about what to do with the band.

Jesper wrote all the ideas and riffs for STYE so I doubt that. People portray him as the ''oldschool'' guy when he always wrote the majority of albums riffs.

Jesper wrote all the ideas and riffs for STYE so I doubt that. People portray him as the ''oldschool'' guy when he always wrote the majority of albums riffs.

Yes. But this doesn't neglect my previous post. Remember, Jesper cared, Anders don't.

For what its worth I do think Anders is/was a metal fan, just not to the extent many of us wish he was :D his tastes reside more in rock/pop than metal imo, especially nowadays. It's not unusual for somebody's musical tastes to change as they get older, so it's fine. I don't think Bjorn was ever hugely into the extreme end of the metal spectrum, most of the interviews I've read he's more into 70's/80's rock and you can hear that influence in many of the newer albums. None of the other members seem to contribute much creatively so not much point speculating about them :D

For what its worth I do think Anders is/was a metal fan, just not to the extent many of us wish he was :D his tastes reside more in rock/pop than metal imo, especially nowadays. It's not unusual for somebody's musical tastes to change as they get older, so it's fine. I don't think Bjorn was ever hugely into the extreme end of the metal spectrum, most of the interviews I've read he's more into 70's/80's rock and you can hear that influence in many of the newer albums. None of the other members seem to contribute much creatively so not much point speculating about them :D

Of course your tastes change, I can asure you since I'm 40 too. But they follow a pattern.

I can asure you that, if you liked metal at 15, liked metal at 25 and still like at 35, then you will probably like metal all your life. The real change can be what kind of metal suits better your current tastes.

As for Anders, it's not the first time a non metal fan is part of a metal band. You have Mikael Kiske. He himself stated more than once that he is no metal fan, but still he did two of the best heavy metal albums ever and now is in Unisonic, clasic heavy metal sound.

Question: What would you have done if you had not found inspiration? The studio was booked, the risk was important ...

The answer by Anders: Exactly! I do not know, maybe I would have cried! (laughs) No, not to do it was never an option. It had to be done. It is for this reason that I have sometimes been frustrated. Sometimes I thought, "This is the best thing I've ever written! It's great, really great! "And when I started the next song, I thought," That sucks, I'm a shit! I'm the worst singer in the world! "It comes and goes. Every time I finished a song, I presented the results to the other guys, and when I had their approval, I ran into the studio and I started working on it. I was so in it. But when their reaction was more mixed, like, "I do not know, give us some more time," I thought, "(he mumbles) What a bunch of morons! "It was hard for me, but I had to make it. Not to get there was not even an option.

http://www.radiometal.com/article/in-flames-obeit-aux-sirenes-de-ses-envies,158294

Question: What would you have done if you had not found inspiration? The studio was booked, the risk was important ...

The answer by Anders: Exactly! I do not know, maybe I would have cried! (laughs) No, not to do it was never an option. It had to be done. It is for this reason that I have sometimes been frustrated. Sometimes I thought, "This is the best thing I've ever written! It's great, really great! "And when I started the next song, I thought," That sucks, I'm a shit! I'm the worst singer in the world! "It comes and goes. Every time I finished a song, I presented the results to the other guys, and when I had their approval, I ran into the studio and I started working on it. I was so in it. But when their reaction was more mixed, like, "I do not know, give us some more time," I thought, "(he mumbles) What a bunch of morons! "It was hard for me, but I had to make it. Not to get there was not even an option.

http://www.radiometal.com/article/in-flames-obeit-aux-sirenes-de-ses-envies,158294

Men I said sorry once. I can be apologizing forever.

Of course your tastes change, I can asure you since I'm 40 too. But they follow a pattern.

I can asure you that, if you liked metal at 15, liked metal at 25 and still like at 35, then you will probably like metal all your life. The real change can be what kind of metal suits better your current tastes.

It depends. I know people who were into metal in their younger years but don't listen to it at all now. Everybody's different. I'd guess Anders was 50/50 pop/rock & metal in his younger days but nowadays is more 80/20.

It depends. I know people who were into metal in their younger years but don't listen to it at all now. Everybody's different. I'd guess Anders was 50/50 pop/rock & metal in his younger days but is nowadays is more 80/20.

Yea, but think, at what age they changed?

My brother was into heavy metal at 15, but at 18 he was more like Nirvana is the best and Kurt Cobain is god and now he is a fan of RHCP and Radiohead and garbage like that, very EMO.

Of course, he is the shame of my family, the only one, except for the girls, that is not into metal.

And still I don't know any other band that he likes but Depeche Mode. Sorry to insist but I really want to know. As for Bjorn, he is much into rock but said more than once that he likes the california death style.